The Last of Us: Part 1 - update: PC Update 1.1 released, officially Steam Deck verified

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I sat up too late this morning playing this. Third time through and I still love it.

The pacing is really fantastic. I think the pacing is also fantastic in the sequel even though that game keeps going forever. But I don’t feel like there is wasted time in either game. If they plan to try to end this as a trilogy that is going to be so hard to meet expectations 

• True 1

34 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm disappointed in the lack of pics/videos from you PC players :p

I’m getting closer to this being not annoying because I need gamebar with my new cpu and it seems to have an easy direct capture. Now I just need to figure out how to auto save it in a place that is easy to post here and isn’t twitter!

4 hours ago, stepee said:

The pacing is really fantastic. I think the pacing is also fantastic in the sequel even though that game keeps going forever. But I don’t feel like there is wasted time in either game. If they plan to try to end this as a trilogy that is going to be so hard to meet expectations 

I think I have more of an attachment to the first game and I like the pacing better, but I really can’t find much to complain about for Part II. It’s just so heartbreaking and bleak. 

• Halal 1

12 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m getting closer to this being not annoying because I need gamebar with my new cpu and it seems to have an easy direct capture. Now I just need to figure out how to auto save it in a place that is easy to post here and isn’t twitter!

NVidia’s recording feature built into GeForce Experience is vastly superior to gamebar. 4k HDR 120fps capture and essentially 0 loss for in-game performance during recording.

I just upload to YouTube as a private video:

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You think the pacing in the first game is bad?

The game opens with a narrative bang and then it takes a long time for the gameplay and encounters to get interesting. And there are a bunch of places that are made unnecessarily long by having to ferry Ellie around. It's not a long game so it's not egregious or anything, but those things made replays less fun than they could be.

Possible my memory is bad though, I don't think I have replayed it since Remastered came out.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Possible my memory is bad though

Yes. :p 

Ellie is one of the least annoying NPC partner characters in terms of AI following you correctly (and she’ll teleport to your location if you get too far away): the way you wrote your post it’s like you’re remembering Ashley from OG RE4. After the opening, it’s essentially a 30-45 minute tutorial that is also setting up the state of the world and Joel’s current character/demeanor post-time jump, then it’s basically set-piece to set-piece.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Yes. :p 

Ellie is one of the least annoying NPC partner characters in terms of AI following you correctly (and she’ll teleport to your location if you get too far away). After the opening, it’s essentially a 30-45 minute tutorial that is also setting up the state of the world and Joel’s current character/demeanor post-time jump, then it’s basically set-piece to set-piece.

I don't fine Ellie annoying at all, she's great in the first game. But finding pallets and moving her around on them are a pretty transparent way of extending your time in smaller spaces. And once you know your way around the game, you can get through it in about 10 hours. The first 45 minutes dragging is a non trivial amount of the playtime!

I feel like they got much better at this with TLoU2, aside from the last "third" where I felt like I really wanted to move the plot to its conclusion and the gameplay felt like an impediment to that.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't fine Ellie annoying at all, she's great in the first game. But finding pallets and moving her around on them are a pretty transparent way of extending your time in smaller spaces. And once you know your way around the game, you can get through it in about 10 hours. The first 45 minutes dragging is a non trivial amount of the playtime!

I feel like they got much better at this with TLoU2, aside from the last "third" where I felt like I really wanted to move the plot to its conclusion and the gameplay felt like an impediment to that.

It’s puzzle solving, my guy. :p 

There’s like 5 or so raft segments that are used to add variety in the game by adding additional puzzles. The actual time you spend rafting her is like 5 seconds, they are used to split you two up which helps which adds a layer of tension and to add some puzzles to keeps things varied. They are more examples of how the pacing is good than bad.

It’s a heavily narrative focused game so it having world building in the beginning doesn’t count against its pacing for me. It seems like you are ranking how well it plays as a pure action game during replays instead of the actual experience as intended. 

• Thanks 1

Played this for several hours on my PC last night, the VRAM on the 3080 is definitely an issue. I'm running it at high settings at 1440p. It's mostly fine, framerate is good, but I was getting weird texture issues. Notably in the hotel the clothes hanging in the closets would freak out. It's perfectly playable on my PC, but I think I'll stick with the game room PC so I can do ultra/4K.

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Played this for several hours on my PC last night, the VRAM on the 3080 is definitely an issue. I'm running it at high settings at 1440p. It's mostly fine, framerate is good, but I was getting weird texture issues. Notably in the hotel the clothes hanging in the closets would freak out. It's perfectly playable on my PC, but I think I'll stick with the game room PC so I can do ultra/4K.

The image quality is just sooo good with those ultra high res textures that the 4k oled is the way to go anyway! It looks like viewing concept art often times, just really pristine.

Since you have that game room pc as an option for more demanding or poorly optimized games though it’s definitely smart to wait for the 5000’s 

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

The image quality is just sooo good with those ultra high res textures that the 4k oled is the way to go anyway! It looks like viewing concept art often times, just really pristine.

Since you have that game room pc as an option for more demanding or poorly optimized games though it’s definitely smart to wait for the 5000’s 

Yeah, now that we have a beastly PC as an option, I wanna use it more. But I still like having my own setup at my desk. The 3080 has been great for most stuff so far. TLOU is the first issue I've really had.

Husband is on a 3070 still, so he's been playing Cyberpunk down there.

I sure hope NVIDIA isn't as stingy with VRAM on their next line.

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, now that we have a beastly PC as an option, I wanna use it more. But I still like having my own setup at my desk. The 3080 has been great for most stuff so far. TLOU is the first issue I've really had.

Husband is on a 3070 still, so he's been playing Cyberpunk down there.

I sure hope NVIDIA isn't as stingy with VRAM on their next line.

Yeah hopefully the 5000 series will have vram that is fine for the rest of this generation. I think if they just bump the 5080 to 20gb that should be good for everything until we hit 8k. 

The 3080 is still a good card it’s just going to have issues with certain things here and there and I think Last of Us is a big outlier there with how there’s no way to easily scale down. Just going to dlss performance should be enough to solve the vram issue for most anything, something is just off with that one. But ohhhh is it pretty when you brute force past that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Last of Us Part I v1.1.0 Patch Notes for PC

A patch for The Last of Us Part I is now live. This update primarily focuses on performance improvements, Steam Deck performance, various crashes, and more.

Alongside this patch, The Last of Us Part I is now Steam Deck Verified. You will find the latest patch notes for Steam Deck below. 

Downloading this patch will trigger a full shader rebuild.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last of Us: Part 1 - update: PC Update 1.1 released, officially Steam Deck verified