Tennessee about to make camping in public spaces (ie. being homeless) a criminal offense, punishable by up to 6 years in prison and loss of voting rights

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Miranda Atnip lost her home during the coronavirus pandemic after her boyfriend moved out and she fell behind on bills. Living in a car, the 34-year-old...

I'm sure this is the incentive people without homes need to finally stop being lazy and get jobs, etc.

In pushing the expansion, Sen. Paul Bailey noted that no one has been convicted under that law and said he doesn’t expect this one to be enforced much, either. Neither does Luke Eldridge, a man who has worked with homeless people in the city of Cookeville and supports Bailey’s plan — in part because he hopes it will spur people who care about the homeless to work with him on long-term solutions.

Supporting scaring homeless people with the threat of a felony so OTHER people will want to do more is something else 😂

7 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Sounds like they're giving them housing for 6 years!

I mean this is a joke and the truth at the same time. There are a lot of homeless people who will fake being hurt or try very hard to get arrested because it's cold outside and they want somewhere to stay. The thing is the cops or paramedics are usually on to this plan and try hard not to arrest them. Some paramedics will do them a favor and give them a ride even though they know they are faking.

At a bar I used to work at, we had this homeless guy that would come by and deliberately be a creepy shithead to people until we called the cops. His name is Eric. It got to the point where I wouldn't even have to say anything to the dispatcher, I would just say "Eric's here" and they would send a car. The fucked up thing is most of the time the cops (who also knew him) would just drop him off a mile away, and sometimes he would just come right back. He wanted to go to jail for the night, and they never wanted to take him. Made my shift extra stressful.

A friend of mine works in a hospital and regularly sees the homeless come in, need a toe amputation, be put up in the hospital for a few days, get sent back out onto the streets and told to keep the wound clean and dry :silly:, and then is back a few weeks or months later for progressively severe amputation (multiple toes, below-knee amputation and finally an above-knee amputation).  All of these surgeries cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars, rather than e.g. spending a thousand dollars after the first surgery to put them up in a hotel for a couple weeks. Obviously to say nothing of the cost to the human being of needing an above-knee amputation. 

Shit's depressing. 

• True 1

Now I wonder if they could challenge this law. Couldn’t this law easily imply that if there was a free concert to first come first served, but it was a surprise announcement and takes place in a couple days. Now it doesn’t happen as often (and we’re talking Tennessee) but wouldn’t that law allow cops to arrest said concert goers. Guess it doesn’t apply to people who look like they have money . . . .maybe unless your black. . . .Latino, ok if you ain’t white looking. Just seems like the slippery slope society is going down is being replaced by a trap door under your feet.