Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@Fizzzzle How are you 27 hours in? Did you get early access? Are you enjoying it still that many hours in?

I'm having a blast. I started Tuesday night and had Wed/Thur off and basically played all day. I haven't played yet today, but I'm going to get a few hours in before bed.

It hasn't got any less fun yet. One thing that I'm kiiiind of starting to get annoyed by is that as soon as I finish one quest that has me stop doing "revelio" everywhere I go, another quest starts that has me start doing "revelio" everywhere I go. Luckily I think I'm almost done with the last one (demiguise statues), but there seems to be one more left in Hogwarts that I can't seem to find. I got all the statues in Hogsmeade except for one, and I'm pretty sure I know where it is, I just can't get to it yet.

But yeah, all in all, I'm having a goddamn great time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

One thing I find funny is that in Harry Potter, it's kind of a big deal that Harry never kills people. He even tries an unforgivable curse on another character at one point in the story, and he physically can't do it because he doesn't have enough hate in his heart to truly want to cause pain. "Righteous anger won't work for long."

In Hogwarts Legacy? Sheeeeeeeiiiiiit, my body count is in the hundreds. We killing people left, right, and center.

I've killed 57 dark wizards, 112 goblins (who are jews humans in this universe), and 39 inferi (who used to be people).

• Halal 1

Runs about 40fps native on low on steam deck - looks pretty damn good still for a handheld! I’ll have to see when I hit the open world if the cpu can keep that up (have a feeling at the least I’ll have to drop it to 30, the default settings wanted me to use fsr at 30..) but as cool as that is, there isn’t a good reason to not get the enormous upgrade that moonlight from my desktop gives me.

46 minutes ago, Dodger said:

So what is the gameplay loop here? Anything beyond fire wannabe soul arrow and shit just dies?

Combat isn't the biggest part of the gameplay, really. Comparitavely speaking to other games in the genre. Lots of exploration/puzzle solving. Or at least maybe that's because I've been doing a lot of side shit. maybe if you blast straight through the story, it's a lot more combat heavy.

But for example, as far as I can tell, your EXP goes up faaaaaaar more from completing quests/solving puzzles than it does from combat. The game doesn't really reward needless grinding. A greater emphasis is placed on exploration.

edit: I should add the the combat is also very combo-based, at least if you want to play on "higher" difficulty (I'm sure on easy you can just pew-pew your way through most fights). You need to juggle dodging/shield mechanics with combos that have to break armor and try and keep enemies airborne. So it really isn't super simplistic, again, unless you're playing on easy. Even on normal, it's not hard, but you will die if you just LeRoy Jenkins your basic attack in every fight.

• Halal 2

16 hours ago, stepee said:

Reflecting on it, I’m not super sold on the anti semantic angle as a purposeful thing. I think JK being a transphobic piece of shit is enough honestly. I am okay with the discourse and I still think it’s helpful however as it can lead to people thinking about such things in the future to perhaps make products that don’t fall into anti semantic tropes and such things on accident. Nothing wrong with nudging developers to make content that won’t accidentally be hurtful to someone who was born one way or the other.

I don’t feel as though the goblins resembling caricatures from anti-semetic propaganda is actually intentional, I think it’s a by product of how European depictions of goblins were influenced over the years/decades/century. If the horn thing is real, though (and I kinda doubt it is), my opinion changes slightly. I don’t believe HP is intentionally anti-semetic or anti-anything really.

Saying the depiction of goblins resembling previously mentioned caricatures is by no means a stretch, saying it was done intentionally, IMO, kind of is.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

19 hours ago, stepee said:

I honestly think I went default but if you run into issues let me know and I can confirm settings tonight. I keep my games native 4k on pc and do a 1440p stream to really get it looking close to a native 720p with a shit ton of AA.

Do you connect through mstsc.exe or the game directly?

@Fizzzzle @TheLeon I'm stuck. Read below in spoilers.

But first. @Biggie I'm playing with fidelity and raytracing on and it looks MUCH better and surprisingly the framerate is just find for me. The visuals are absolutely beautiful especially the forest I was just exploring. Just beautiful stuff here...

Anyway:

Spoiler

I'm only a level 8 but I'm at the quest called "Jackdaw's Rest" in the Forbidden forest. The enemies or spiders are level 18-20 and I die almost immediately fighting them? There is no other main quest for me to do to level up. Am I supposed to beat these things? If so, how? Thanks 

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

But first. @Biggie I'm playing with fidelity and raytracing on and it looks MUCH better and surprisingly the framerate is just find for me. The visuals are absolutely beautiful especially the forest I was just exploring. Just beautiful stuff here...

Anyway:

Hide contents

I'm only a level 8 but I'm at the quest called "Jackdaw's Rest" in the Forbidden forest. The enemies or spiders are level 18-20 and I die almost immediately fighting them? There is no other main quest for me to do to level up. Am I supposed to beat these things? If so, how? Thanks 

I was level 11 when I did that quest, but I think you’re generally supposed to avoid those enemies. You should have some assignments from teachers or other side quests you can do to level up a little, but 

Spoiler

the Forbidden Forest is a scary, dangerous place that’s off limits to students, that’s why everything there can kill you so easily. Once you get to the tomb or wherever it is you’re looking for, the level of the enemies drops down. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I was level 11 when I did that quest, but I think you’re generally supposed to avoid those enemies. You should have some assignments from teachers or other side quests you can do to level up a little, but 

Hide contents

the Forbidden Forest is a scary, dangerous place that’s off limits to students, that’s why everything there can kill you so easily. Once you get to the tomb or wherever it is you’re looking for, the level of the enemies drops down. 

I tried the invisibility potion and they see me right away lol. I'll run like the wind past them and see if that works. I appreciate you responding so quickly!

49 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Anyway:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought you were playing on balanced??

11 minutes ago, Biggie said:

@best3444 balanced is the way to go in my opinion. I can really tell the difference in the overall smoothness. And it still looks fantastic. This game is really something spectacular. Even the menus and navigation of everything is done so good. 

I'm loving the extra detail, reflections, and color on fidelity and raytracing. Yes, it's not as smooth but very tolerable for me.

This game is spectacular. 4 more hours in and finally got the broom. It's extremely magical. It just gets better and better. I'm never bored and just want to keep playing. So much love and passion went into this. Unreal.

• Like 1

Hm so I tested in the middle of Hogwarts with all the stairs where it seems pretty taxing and the extra ray tracing boosts you can edit the engine.ini to achieve are worth it I think. AO you’d definitely want to do regardless but 100% res reflections are quite demanding (probably why they aren’t official!) but honestly they look soooo nice fuck it.

It’s still like 90-100s with some dips to high 70s-80s whereas it stays a more constant 120 without the hacks, but those lows are still there during fast traversal, so it doesn’t make as much of a difference as it seems when playing it and shit is so fucking shiny this way. Newer cpu peeps with a 4090 will def want to do this that’s for sure.

But ya I can’t believe how good this looks. Is it ray traced reflections you get on console? Do you not get them on balanced? That would maybe make me actually do 30fps mode instead of 40fps at least in hogwarts if I was on console. There’s so many reflective surfaces and mirrors and such here and it really looks fantastic.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Anyway:

Hide contents

Level 8 seems a tad low for that quest, iirc. Make sure you do sidequests (if you go on the map, any location that has potential sidequests will have a black flag on it), etc. But yeah, like leon said, I don't think you're supposed to fight those, just sprint and run away.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t feel as though the goblins resembling caricatures from anti-semetic propaganda is actually intentional, I think it’s a by product of how European depictions of goblins were influenced over the years/decades/century. If the horn thing is real, though (and I kinda doubt it is), my opinion changes slightly. I don’t believe HP is intentionally anti-semetic or anti-anything really.

Saying the depiction of goblins resembling previously mentioned caricatures is by no means a stretch, saying it was done intentionally, IMO, kind of is.

It was either done maliciously or negligently. Given the longstanding criticisms of the goblins in HP, they probably should've just stayed away from them. If they really had their hearts set on including the goblins then they should've dialed back the antisemitic tropes and been deliberate about not invoking additional antisemitic parallels. Instead they included the literal blood libel. There's no way nobody brought this issue up in development so at best they had to decide they just didn't give a shit.

They really could have done anything else, but they didn't.

It's cool that they included at least one trans character to distance themselves from JKR's shit. I also like that the player chooses their dorm rather than their sex or gender. It's a shame their ability to be culturally sensitive didn't extend further.

49 minutes ago, stepee said:

But ya I can’t believe how good this looks. Is it ray traced reflections you get on console? Do you not get them on balanced? That would maybe make me actually do 30fps mode instead of 40fps at least in hogwarts if I was on console. There’s so many reflective surfaces and mirrors and such here and it really looks fantastic.

No don't think you get ray tracing in balanced mode. But as soon as I switched to that I could tell the game was kinda janky running around. Its much much smoother in balanced and it still looks great.

• Halal 1