Star Wars: The Last Plinkett Review

Those are actually fair criticisms about how the characters create their own "false" obstacles by making dumb decisions - which is far more important than nitpicking shit like how are the bombs going to fall onto the Dreadnaught.  The Canto Blight stretch is pretty much pointless, in that screen time could have been better devoted to something else, and it really makes no sense why Rose would prioritize those animals when all of her friends are about to die.  Yeah, the emotional direction of some characters and scenes were indeed off - much like Leia ignoring Chewie at the end of TFA - and I'll probably not be able to overlook the happy ending of TLJ from now on.  In fact, since my last viewing I had completely forgotten what the tone of the ending was in the first place.

Every blockbuster today has those dumb comic relief scenes, so I don't really have a problem with Luke drinking blue milk and the rest of the gags. 

But I really like his idea of the movie ending after Snoke dies.  And that idea makes WAY more sense after Carrie Fisher had died.  So they should have done whatever they could to edit the movie such that Carrie would be the one to sacrifice herself instead of Holdo.  They had the time to do it before release.  Now we're going to have to suffer through JJ's method of dealing with it.  When Episode IX is out, we're going to look back on this trilogy and see what a disjointed mess it is.  Despite the logistical problems with TLJ, I still don't think it's a bad movie.  But I might be biased here because I am 100% behind the decision to kill off Snoke without giving us his backstory, because I despised how TFA built him up and basically cloned the narrative structure of ANH.  We've already seen the Master/Apprentice in control of the galaxy versus a small band of rebels, why do the same story again?  My sheer enjoyment out of this one unexpected outcome helps me overlook the flaws of the film.

4 hours ago, Brick said:

I've been hearing bad things about this video, and how it's just a shallow review, and basically leans into the toxic fandom. 

No thanks. 

It's not. It talks about plot issues, character motivations, pacing, etc. I didn't find any issues with anything he said.

4 hours ago, Reputator said:

It's not. It talks about plot issues, character motivations, pacing, etc. I didn't find any issues with anything he said.

It talks about them, but it doesn't do into detail on why they don't work. It just points out something that's negative without explaining what makes it a negative, hence a shallow review. 

That and making jokes about Carrie Fisher dying, yeah fuck the Plinkett character. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

It talks about them, but it doesn't do into detail on why they don't work. It just points out something that's negative without explaining what makes it a negative, hence a shallow review. 

That and making jokes about Carrie Fisher dying, yeah fuck the Plinkett character. 

It explains everything perfectly. I had no trouble following it.

I listened to it for a bit, but much like Film Crit Hulk’s novelty wore off and he only became readable when he ditched the all caps and dumb grammar, I’ll listen to Mike talk about movies but the Plinkett character is tired.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Canto Bight isn’t pointless. I absolutely get not liking it, but... Finn’s character development t doesn’t happen without that scene, straight up. 

I love reviews for old movies that bring up constantly corrected and debated points like they're new. It makes for a lovely hour of absolutely not having wasted any time. At all.

On 8/31/2018 at 1:05 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Fair criticism, but not nearly as funny or entertaining as his previous stuff. I think his Episode I review is his best, followed closely by his Episode 2 and 3 reviews. 

That's because those are actually bad movies, so the criticisms were both funny and incisive.

I haven't seen this yet (I will) but it's become pretty clear to me that a lot of people just don't agree with the worldview of TLJ, whose worldview bleeds even into its filmmaking. People responded against it on a visceral level because the film's worldview is built even into the cinematography, sound design, etc. Some people just don't like that worldview.

There are fair criticisms (separately) to levy at the film, but a lot of people who didn't like the film I don't think even know that a part of them doesn't like it because of how different the film inherently is from the norm in this genre/Star Wars and their feelings are a violent, base emotional reaction to that. I know because I didn't love TLJ immediately after seeing it the first time - I had a similar base reaction against it. Upon reflection, I see what I was reacting to and have gotten past it and now appreciate the movie for how different it is.

Plinkett talked about shot/reverse shot in his ep3 review and people thought he was a scholar. That helped justify confirmation bias.

I love that this guy Brick quoted who dislikes tlj really disliked this review. If you watch half in a bag, these guys aren't insightful and are pretty much running off what people thought of his phantom menace review.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's because those are actually bad movies, so the criticisms were both funny and incisive.

I haven't seen this yet (I will) but it's become pretty clear to me that a lot of people just don't agree with the worldview of TLJ, whose worldview bleeds even into its filmmaking. People responded against it on a visceral level because the film's worldview is built even into the cinematography, sound design, etc. Some people just don't like that worldview.

There are fair criticisms (separately) to levy at the film, but a lot of people who didn't like the film I don't think even know that a part of them doesn't like it because of how different the film inherently is from the norm in this genre/Star Wars and their feelings are a violent, base emotional reaction to that. I know because I didn't love TLJ immediately after seeing it the first time - I had a similar base reaction against it. Upon reflection, I see what I was reacting to and have gotten past it and now appreciate the movie for how different it is.

As a non-fan of TLJ I concur that most of my problems with it stem from the artistic decisions made about the characters and story with the problems in execution of the film falling much further down the ladder. Those secondary problems when viewing the film in isolation are relatively few (force pulling Leia, pacing problems, much of the humor, continuity errors).

• Thanks 1