Peter Dinklage criticizes the upcoming remake of Snow White

Kamusha

I truly fail to understand what the issue is. Like I'm missing something. I get they are dwarves, but they seem to the the fantasy/folklore race rather than people with dwarfism. I mean, my Hunter in WoW was a dwarf.  I'm not saying he's wrong, but that I don't get it. I'd understand if it was like some Oompa Loompa shit. Is it that they live in a cave? That they are all men? Would it be better if they lived in a normal village or something like Ironforge? 

Also, I have never really seen the original movie, but in my mind, I can't see what is different between them and LORT dwarves aside from them not being warriors. 

That was my initial thought as well, but then I decided that... A.) I really have no dog in this fight and really truly do not care and B.) who am I to tell others what they should and should not be bothered by. I have never lived my life as someone with dwarfism, so who am I to decide what is and is not offensive?

Ultimitaly I decided this was just a story I wasn't going to pay much attention to or find the energy to care about.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I truly fail to understand what the issue is. Like I'm missing something. I get they are dwarves, but they seem to the the fantasy/folklore race rather than people with dwarfism. I mean, my Hunter in WoW was a dwarf.  I'm not saying he's wrong, but that I don't get it. I'd understand if it was like some Oompa Loompa shit. Is it that they live in a cave? That they are all men? Would it be better if they lived in a normal village or something like Ironforge? 

Also, I have never really seen the original movie, but in my mind, I can't see what is different between them and LORT dwarves aside from them not being warriors. 

In the original movie there's no real indication that they aren't just short humans. Instead they're treated as dumb and naive men, even if they follow all the old pre-Tolkein mythology regarding dwarves. However, the biggest problem is that the characters have been used as the butt of jokes at the expense people with dwarfism. This is especially true of songs like Heigh Ho. I'm just a regular short dude (a whole whopping 5'3"). Even I've had the song lobbed my way out. That kind of died down after Lord of the Rings movies came out. Now I'm apparently a hobbit to people that think they're super clever and funny. I can't imagine it's really any better for people half my height. Dinklage's valid concern is that it's going to bring these things back into the lime light. Certainly isn't going to help if Disney ever had plans to cast real people with dwarfism for these roles.

I think this is a case of Dinklage wanting to make sure Disney doesn't fuck it up and just give assholes more material to attack the community with memes or whatnot.

This should all be really easy to avoid on Disney's part. They'd just need to really lean into them being magical beings, clearly not human, and something more than funny little child-like men.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Dinklage's valid concern is that it's going to bring these things back into the lime light.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense then. 

30 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

They'd just need to really lean into them being magical beings, clearly not human,

This is really what I had thought of them. Or basically a Fantasy race unrelated to the race of men. I never knew people didn't view the 7 dwarves this way. As I never really saw Snow White the only insults I had picked up on were usually by using one of the 7 names, which I don't even know all of them. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Ah, that makes a lot of sense then. 

This is really what I had thought of them. Or basically a Fantasy race unrelated to the race of men. I never knew people didn't view the 7 dwarves this way. As I never really saw Snow White they only insults I had picked up on were usually by using one of the 7 names, which I don't even know all of them. 

Someone his age probably saw a lot more dwarf jokes growing up than I did. I'm sure it's more of a sore spot for him in the same way I'd imagine younger folks might be a little sore over being called hobbits. That said, at least hobbits are actual people. Like they actually have depth to them and they aren't just comic relief in service to the tall woman they're all fawning over.

At the same time, he's probably the only person that can say anything because there's aren't any other actors with dwarfism that could immediately elicit a comment from Disney. He's respected enough to make a comment and be heard and probably felt he should make the comment because nobody else can.

I think it's worth providing more context to the quote. It was during an interview on a podcast where they were talking about progressive ideas in culture, and Dinklage mentioned that given his unique perspective he finds there's a lot of hypocrisy going on in Hollywood. The host asked him for an example and this is what he said.

This week, Peter Dinklage stopped by Marc Maron’s WTF podcast to explain why he thinks that’s such a bad idea: “There’s a lot of hypocrisy going on,” he said. “Literally no offense to anyone, but I was a little taken aback when they were very proud to cast a Latina actress as Snow White. But you’re still telling the story of Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs.” Dinklage says Disney—though he didn’t know it was Disney doing the remake when he made these comments—is so eager to be “progressive in one way” but at the same time it’s “still making that fucking backwards story about seven dwarfs living in a cave together.”

“Have I done nothing to advance the cause from my soap box?” Dinklage asked, concluding, “I guess I’m not loud enough.” He conceded that he’d be excited to see a “fucked up, cool, or progressive spin” on the story, but he can’t believe Disney would want to just do a straight remake of the old Snow White.

So he's not against a modern retelling of the story, but he feels like a straight forward remake of the original movie would be regressive. 

I don't think there's a solution that makes everyone happy. You take the dwarves out of Snow White, it's sort of a different story right? You leave them in, you get a whole other generation of kids with dwarfism being made fun of in school.

The best solution is for Disney to stop making these terrible live action remakes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • True 3

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Maybe we just leave a story alone when it's about dwarves and a grown-ass man who comes across an unconscious teenager in the woods and decides he should put his mouth on hers?

Normal person me: Point Agree GIF by Ford

Theater owner me:

No Way Meme GIF

I’M CONFLICTED 

17 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Maybe we just leave a story alone when it's about dwarves and a grown-ass man who comes across an unconscious teenager in the woods and decides he should put his mouth on hers?

There are times that you just need to move on - and this is a property that really just needs moved on from.  There are a million stories out there - choose a different one.

The very name in the title is Snow White - because the title character is the most beautiful of them all largely because she has snow white skin - which is laughably bad to teach children (or anyone).  Of course they have already announced a latina lead actress for the role.  Then you have the dwarf issues... the consent issues.  For 2022 this story just isn't a good choice.  

By the time this movie comes out it will be a latina woman who meets 7 magical creatures and recovers from the poison on her own cause she don't need no man.  So why bother with the story?

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Absolutely not.

Sleeping Beauty gets kissed in a castle while she's unconscious. :p

Maybe I'm remembering the movie wrong since there have been so many adaptations, but didn't they meet and fall in love before she was poisoned by the apple and then kissed to break the curse? That's way different than the prince kissing random girl he stumbles upon.

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Maybe I'm remembering the movie wrong since there have been so many adaptations, but didn't they meet and fall in love before she was poisoned by the apple and then kissed to break the curse? That's way different than the prince kissing random girl he stumbles upon.

I think the Dwarfs tell the prince what happens.

18 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

All of those old movies blend together for me, I have absolutely no idea!

1 hour ago, ort said:

My memory is hazy, but I do think Snow White and the Prince meet before the kiss. They have a song together in the woods or something like that.

Yes, they do. Thanks for refreshing my memory. The queen's jealousy over the prince falling in love with Snow White was the reason Snow White had to go into hiding in the first place.

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Sleeping beauty is the spinning wheel one where the witch puts a curse on her and she's sent to live with 3 magical lesbians

Snow White was like my least favorite Disney movie, but I didn't think they met before.

Sleepy Beauty was Prince Philip and they met prior and shared a song in the woods.

Edit: I was wrong. Both films they met prior to the curses and fell in love. But I do recall reading that Prince Charming was like 30 and Snow White was 14.

What I've been thinking about more is Dinklage's larger point that there's a lot of hypocrisy in Hollywood surrounding representation and casting. Like how they pat themselves on the back for a racially diverse cast, but when it comes to something like House of Gucci or the upcoming Batman movie they rather have a movie star wear a fat suit the entire movie rather than giving a job to one of the many overweight actors out there who would be just as good in the movie if given the chance.

14 minutes ago, Komusha said:

What I've been thinking about more is Dinklage's larger point that there's a lot of hypocrisy in Hollywood surrounding representation and casting. Like how they pat themselves on the back for a racially diverse cast, but when it comes to something like House of Gucci or the upcoming Batman movie they rather have a movie star wear a fat suit the entire movie rather than giving a job to one of the many overweight actors out there who would be just as good in the movie if given the chance.

Unfortunately putting a big name actor in a film is a huge draw for audiences. While people aren't necessarily flocking to The Batman to see Colin Farrell having a no name obese person in it would be an even bigger head scratcher. Or would you put like Kevin James in it or something? A lot of fat celebs have lost weight.

I think a better way to go about this is like casting an old person for the role of an old person rather than putting old makeup on a young person like in Prometheus

52 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Unfortunately putting a big name actor in a film is a huge draw for audiences. While people aren't necessarily flocking to The Batman to see Colin Farrell having a no name obese person in it would be an even bigger head scratcher. Or would you put like Kevin James in it or something? A lot of fat celebs have lost weight.

I think a better way to go about this is like casting an old person for the role of an old person rather than putting old makeup on a young person like in Prometheus

Maybe let audiences get to know and love larger sized actors? I dunno, something doesn't sit right when they cast someone conventionally attractive like Jared Leto and make him look ugly with makeup, and they everyone praises the transformation. There are so many great character actors who would do well, but they aren't cast because they weren't born with the right looks or hairline. It wasn't always that bad. I remember the 90's being a time when someone who looked like Jason Alexander or Wayne Knight could become household names.

Our society is so beauty obsessed that as a whole people don't seem to mind how much we discriminate against others based on genetics.