The Game Awards 2021 Discussion Thread

Keyser_Soze

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Tonight is the night where you see all the reveals you've been waiting for with some awards on the side.

And that right there the problem with these game award shows; it's never about the actual awards for the audience, no one cares who wins, we're all just tuning in to see new trailers. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, Brick said:

And that right there the problem with these game award shows; it's never about the actual awards for the audience, no one cares who wins, we're all just tuning in to see new trailers. 

Is it really a problem though? Other than the Oscars there's really no awards show anyone cares about. At least you get something out of this one.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Is it really a problem though? Other than the Oscars there's really no awards show anyone cares about. At least you get something out of this one.

It's a problem in the sense of the industry having something dignified and to be taken seriously. Say what you want about the Oscars, they certainly have their own problems, but at least it's about celebrating the past year of movies, and awarding accomplishments in artistic merit (again debatable if some of the nominees and winners are deserving, but it's the idea that counts), and it's the highest award honour in that industry, so much that other awards pale in comparison; when someone says a movie won Best Picture you know they're talking about the Academy Awards, not the Golden Globes, or some dinky award from a small independent awards ceremony, or some fan site. Gaming doesn't have its version of the Academy Awards, and I know Geoff Keighley has said he doesn't want this show to be considered that, and that's fine, but it does keep it from being taken seriously when all we're watching for is to see reveals. Games industry kind of does need its own Oscars, even if it isn't broadcast to the public. 

It's also hard to take these awards seriously when a game that has been out for a day gets serious consideration as game of the year and is voted on before anyone has had a chance to play it in its entirety. I'm enjoying Halo, but the awards are today and the game released yesterday. How in the hell can anyone know how good it is when they haven't finished it? Awards shows in general are bad and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone at all because there's very little meritocracy involved with them but these gaming awards are an even bigger joke. We really just watch them for the reveals... at least I do.

Oh damn I thought this was going to be an earlier event. I guess that makes sense though since it’s trying to be like the Oscars. I think what this thing is is fine, it’s just a celebration of video games, nothing wrong with that. It’s a good replacement for E3.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm enjoying Halo, but the awards are today and the game released yesterday. How in the hell can anyone know how good it is when they haven't finished it? 

To be fair I believe a lot of games journalists are voters and they would have advanced copies, hence why they also already have reviews out. That being said I think the cutoff date for nominees is sometime in November, and really the awards should be held next year, but of course they gotta get these awards out before Christmas so everyone knows the best games to buy as gifts... 

This is a marketing event. Nothing more.