Gerry come get this mander

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I've always liked this old splitline algorithm, or some variant, but I'd like to see data on how something like that might actually shift districts.

I've also always liked the metrics used by Sam Wang at the Princeton Election Consortium.

I'm sure there's a reasonable algorithmic way to solve this, if that was ever actually anyone's goal.

I don't like any model that takes fairness into account. Some sort of split line works best for me. Districts shouldn't be drawn taking demographics into consideration. Redrawing districts should only really be necessary if/when the concentration of people move around within a given state.

14 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

ideally you just toss districts altogether and go proportional of vote from each state, districts are an outdated model that assumes the person you're voting for gives a shit about it, or that you give a shit about the person you're voting for other than the R/D next to their name.

I'm inclined to agree.

55 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

ideally you just toss districts altogether and go proportional of vote from each state, districts are an outdated model that assumes the person you're voting for gives a shit about it, or that you give a shit about the person you're voting for other than the R/D next to their name.

I feel like that's handing a lot of authority to the party power brokers. You'd essentially be voting for a party and then the party is picking the actual reps. On the R side they would all pick cronies and loyalists, on the D side you would just get milquetoast centrists.

45 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I feel like that's handing a lot of authority to the party power brokers. You'd essentially be voting for a party and then the party is picking the actual reps. On the R side they would all pick cronies and loyalists, on the D side you would just get milquetoast centrists.

It would also open the door to third parties having representatives, meaning it'd be possible for neither dems or reps having a majority. So those centrist dems either have to make concessions to the GOP or a further left wing party who's members have no reason to vote for something outside their party to pass legislation or vice versa for the GOP. 

On 9/30/2021 at 12:09 AM, Ricofoley said:

Try and do the fair and responsible thing, get completely fucked over for it. That's the Democratic way baby!

Democrats are still acting like this is a game with rules they need to follow. Republicans don't vie for power, they just take it incrementally.

Meanwhile, Nancy claps and shows off her ice cream. 

19 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

nah you good. We’re not gonna beat this with being more Democratic while they dismantle Democratic systems. I’m coming around. Bar them from office, and imprison them if they try to protect society. Freedoms is overrated. 

And just how do you plan to do this? Red states are jusr gonna give up their power because you decided to just ban them from democracy? 

It's easy to say Freedom is overrated when your side is in power. Next year we'll probably have a republican house and senate, and in 2025 theres a good chance Trump is president if he's still alive. That is unless democrats start actively fighting for the people and not their donors. 

20 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The paradox of liberalism

It will keep being like this until we get private space colonies. One time on DS9, Julian Bashir asked how things could get so bad and the answer is that the shitbird authoritarians and libertarian paradisers hadn't yet developed the ability to literally fuck off into the sun.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:46 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Virginia redistricting is going badly and the commission has drawn what amounts to a Republican gerrymander as a compromise, killing off a democratic seat in south west Virginia

First order of business if the Dems hold both Chambers (not too likely at this point) and Terry wins should be to gut the commission somehow some way

Asians in Texas probably vote majority republican anyway, don't quote me on that. At any rate, even though Asians make up a large voting block, there are very few places in the us where they make up a majority in any kind of area, so saying there should be an 'Asian' district in Texas is stupid.

Plus I assume most of the black people in Texas live in/around Houston and Dallas, so of course they'll be underrepresented in the general population because we have a stupid district system.