Gerry come get this mander

Remember like 3 months ago when SCOTUS heard a challenge to Republican gerrymanders and cited a made up thing called the "Purcell Principal" to claim it was too close to elections to change anything? Have any of these lower court or state court rulings made any attempt to explain why the Purcell Principal doesn't apply to their decisions? All of this stuff is just absolutely absurd on its face, but most people will never know this stuff is happening.

• 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Twitter sucks so I'm already having trouble finding the other tweet that quoted the Wasserman tweet but it was saying something about states just setting elector slates directly if this happens.

Correct, they could do that. If someone challenged it, the state courts would not be able to accept the case as legislatures would have total jurisdiction/control over the matter.

3 hours ago, Firewithin said:

whelp we all new democracy is a fallacy so i guess this will just cement it

Man, if I hear something like this again, I may have to post something annoyed online. :angry:

But really, look, what they could decide is pretty damned scary. I'm telling every fencesitter I can about it and this Court and how we got here.

And I don't know what race you are, but I'm assuming you're white? I think? From past posts?

I say that because this kind of attitude seems to only come from white people. @skillzdadirecta @sblfilms Look, I might be wrong, but since you're two of our black members, you're probably well aware that this country used to not allow blacks and women to vote, and then made blacks 3/5s of a vote, and then Jim Crow, and fought a Civil War over slavery. I have to think that any time I heard that either democracy is gone or we're going to cement what a fallacy it is, we're ignoring that the country already has a history of doing this. And it used to be worse.

At least we actually know what they're trying to do this time. It doesn't have to be a g'damn prophecy.

• Like 1
  • True 1

I can just imagine the mentality of leftists right now reacting to the notion of civil unions before gay marriage was legal.

”It isn’t exactly what needs to happen so it’s worthless and legal gay marriage will never be a reality. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.”

• True 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Man, if I hear something like this again, I may have to post something annoyed online. :angry:

But really, look, what they could decide is pretty damned scary. I'm telling every fencesitter I can about it and this Court and how we got here.

And I don't know what race you are, but I'm assuming you're white? I think? From past posts?

I say that because this kind of attitude seems to only come from white people. @skillzdadirecta @sblfilms Look, I might be wrong, but since you're two of our black members, you're probably well aware that this country used to not allow blacks and women to vote, and then made blacks 3/5s of a vote, and then Jim Crow, and fought a Civil War over slavery. I have to think that any time I heard that either democracy is gone or we're going to cement what a fallacy it is, we're ignoring that the country already has a history of doing this. And it used to be worse.

At least we actually know what they're trying to do this time. It doesn't have to be a g'damn prophecy.

It's not an accident that Democrats most consistent and reliable constituency is Black people, particularly Black WOMEN. 

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If anyone was under the illusion that North Carolina was something resembling a democracy, these maps should put the final nail in that coffin.

There is NO balance of power between the branches either, the Governor is the constitutionally weakest in the country and the Courts aren't interested / are ignored. 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, osxmatt said:
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The Supreme Court heard arguments on the redistricting case in October but has yet to rule, essentially running out the clock for this year’s election.

Meanwhile blue states continue roll over on this instead of maximizing their gerrymanders.