Gerry come get this mander

REDISTRICTING-0114-16x9-1.png?w=700
FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

There is no universal takeaway from the 2021-22 redistricting cycle.

Here are a few things the article points out:

Democrats have gained seats based on partisanship alone … but Republicans have gained when you factor in which party currently holds the seat. The House map’s long-term Republican bias has lessened somewhat … but it’s still not an even playing field. Swing seats are getting redrawn to be safer for Democrats … but light-red seats are also being redrawn to be safer for Republicans. 

redistricting-2022-maps-hero-2.png

However, when you take incumbency into account, it’s actually Republicans who should gain ground in the short term. By my calculations, redistricting has put Republicans in a good position to flip as many as three seats in the 2022 midterms. On the other hand, I calculate that redistricting has put Democrats in position to gain one seat, lose one seat or stand pat.3

This seems counterintuitive, but it’s really not. Democrats are coming off a pretty strong election cycle in 2020 — one that gave them a House majority despite the fact that the median congressional district has a partisan lean of R+2.3. In other words, Democrats are overexposed on the congressional map as it stands today, with 24 Democratic incumbents occupying Republican-leaning seats. (By contrast, only seven Republican incumbents hold Democratic-leaning seats.)

The biggest takeaway has instead been the continued disappearance of competitive seats.

And why we still don't know the overall effects, for pretty obvious reasons:

And then there’s the fact that even those 26 states may not be done with redistricting. Lawsuits over the new maps loom in at least eight of those states, and one other state’s map (Ohio’s) has already been overturned. Just under two-thirds of the districts whose lines are being challenged (73 out of 110) were drawn by Republicans, too, so there could be substantial upside for Democrats here — enough that some analysts believe the House’s Republican bias will disappear completely. It’s too early to know for sure, though, so if there’s one piece of advice we can give you, it’s not to draw any conclusions about redistricting until the ink is dry on the last state’s map.

I know Tennessee doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of the House, but the governor today signed a bill that gerrymandered one of the two dem districts in the state out of existence:

CONGRESSIONAL-MAPS.png

The 5th District (yellow here) used to look like this...

lossless-page1-1024px-Tennessee_US_Congr

I'm now represented by some dude in District 6, which is... not really equipped to represent an urban area. 

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

I know Tennessee doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of the House, but the governor today signed a bill that gerrymandered one of the two dem districts in the state out of existence:

CONGRESSIONAL-MAPS.png

The 5th District (yellow here) used to look like this...

lossless-page1-1024px-Tennessee_US_Congr

I'm now represented by some dude in District 6, which is... not really equipped to represent an urban area. 

This is a good before and after. The Democrat went from representing a +17 D district to a +15 R district.

REDISTRICTING-TRACKER-16x9-1.png
PROJECTS.FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

An updating tracker of proposed congressional maps — and whether they might benefit Democrats or Republicans in the 2022 midterm elections and beyond