Kirby and the Forgotten Lands - Reviews are out for 2022 GOTY

Brian

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Brian changed the title to Kirby and the Forgotten Lands - Overview Trailer and Demo out now!

Demo didn't do much for me, but maybe that'll change in the full release. Game suffers from some frame drops and stutters, which is disappointing as it already feels compromised at 30 FPS. I miss when Kirby games like Kirby's Epic Yarn were polished to a mirror shine in terms of the tech. Sure it was just 2D but unlike stepee I'm not having my mind blown with these simplistic visuals. They're not bad but they're not worth the relatively poor performance. (To be clear the frame drops and stutters aren't happening constantly, I just think this running at 30 with barely anything going on in what appears to be very cramped and linear levels while Mario Odyssey managed 60 is disappointing.)

More concerning is that I just didn't find it very fun. I think the Kirby devs have a hard-on for making their games so easy you could beat them by taping the left analog stick in any given direction. Now I'm never after a Kirby game for it to kick my ass, but they included a "wild" mode for an added challenge. How much challenge did it add? Well all 3 levels of the demo took me about 15-25 minutes total, in which time I lost HP once, to the boss in stage 3, who finally landed a hit when he was at 5% HP... and that attack did less than 5% of my health. It barely took a sliver... from a boss... on the alleged hard mode. So strange.

I was kind of hoping for the ability to explore more. While it has a sort of open stage presentation on the surface, all the levels in the demo were extremely linear, like big hallways. This made it really hard to miss optional stuff because the play space is so small. I kept getting these weird little fake achievements for doing side objectives, but they were all for super obvious stuff.

Could be that I'm just way into Elden Ring at the moment, but I'm really concerned this will be dramatically too easy. And don't blame me for expecting a little more challenge, THEY put in the "wild" mode.

Oh and for some reason all the FMV cutscenes had literally 0 sound effects. It was all just generic whimsical background music. In-game cutscenes had sound effects, so the entire presentation felt like some weird, inconsistent bootleg.

I had fun playing the demo. The art style is rather appropriate for the Kirby games, the music is perfect, and you can definitely tell it's using the Mario Odyssey engine, but with some tweaks. Technical details wise, 30fps is overall fine given the controls feel pretty responsive. Sure, some stutters here and there, but I'm not bothered by it, and most won't either I think. Given it's already been shown via those user agreements with Switch Sports utilizing AMD FSR, I wonder if the full game would have it? But for the demo at least, there's no AA applied, which has been typical for Nintendo even for their full releases.

Difficulty wise, I started with the easy mode, but quickly went with the other mode, and still did not feel challenging. Although, you can expect for completionists, the game's difficulty will get harder as the game progresses. One thing I did notice, and quite enjoy was loading times were extremely quick, so this could definitely be a nice companion game for those quick 15-30min gaming sessions.

I can see myself getting it, but I might hold off given my current back log of games. It's not a Day 1 purchase for me, but maybe a 6 month purchase.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

The gaming media is so obsessed with this game and I just have a hunch it’s gonna be shit. Hope I’m wrong. 

I played through the demo levels twice (you get to try the powered up abilities on the second time) and unless you just don’t like Kirby games already, I can’t imagine the full game being shit. The move to 3D here feels really natural.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Brian changed the title to Kirby and the Forgotten Lands - Reviews are out for 2022 GOTY
1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

@stepee The goat is gonna take down elden ring. Let’s goooo

funny goat GIF

oh man I was so confident with it that I didn’t even pay attention to when reviews came out, this is better scores than the 3DS games which imo are the best ones besides maybe Superstar (not counting dreamcourse), hyppppppe