Outdated gaming mechanics.

CastletonSnob

5 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Another one I don’t like is stealth games with a NPC. Nothing breaks immersion as you sneak around and the NPC is standing in broad day light for all to see yet no one sees them. 

I'm never immersed in stealth games to begin with because for stealth to work in games, enemies have to basically be blind. You ever try sneaking around in real life? Shit's hard, peoples' peripheral vision is insane.

Stealth is like the cheesiest genre to me because it relies on all the human characters behaving nothing like actual humans. It's not as bad when you're in vents or can turn invisible or something, but when this counts as stealth:

GOuEi6X.jpg

Then I just can't take it seriously.

(Luckily Deathloop functions amazingly as a blow-the-fuck-out-of-everyone game!)

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm never immersed in stealth games to begin with because for stealth to work in games, enemies have to basically be blind. You ever try sneaking around in real life? Shit's hard, peoples' peripheral vision is insane.

Stealth is like the cheesiest genre to me because it relies on all the human characters behaving nothing like actual humans. It's not as bad when you're in vents or can turn invisible or something, but when this counts as stealth:

GOuEi6X.jpg

Then I just can't take it seriously.

(Luckily Deathloop functions amazingly as a blow-the-fuck-out-of-everyone game!)

skyrim-guard-meme.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=74

6 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Shotgun effective range. Shoot someone at 10 yards and they get slight flesh wound, slugs can kill out to 150+ yards and buck upwards of 50. To be fair BF has done slugs justice but people gripe about 1 hit kills.

To be fair, every gun should be 1 hit kill, but that doesn't make games very fun.

• True 1

19 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The whole Console vs P.C. "My toys are better than your toys" fanboy bullshit that grown men seem intent on keeping going... Oh wait, that's not a game mechanic? My bad.

After calculating my entire PC setup, the $4000+ (plus tax) I spent better be better.

$2900 is for the tower itself.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

After calculating my entire PC setup, the $4000+ (plus tax) I spent better be better.

$2900 is for the tower itself.

I just bought a laptop for about $2200.00. The difference is my computers MAKE me money. That laptop paid for itself the minute I took it out the box. It's fine to spend money on shit that brings you enjoyment... but this whole console vs pc non sense just strikes me a as need by PC enthusiasts to justify why they spend so much more than console gamers to play damn near the same fucking games. It's all bullshit...

• Like 1
  • True 1

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I just bought a laptop for about $2200.00. The difference is my computers MAKE me money. That laptop paid for itself the minute I took it out the box. It's fine to spend money on shit that brings you enjoyment... but this whole console vs pc non sense just strikes me a as need by PC enthusiasts to justify why they spend so much more than console gamers to play damn near the same fucking games. It's all bullshit...

Amen. 

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Uh, well, it's kind of an objective fact that you spend more money and then you get something better.  Don't know why people should feel inferior for not doing it, and there's no reason for people to feel superior for doing it.  There are diminishing returns, but if people enjoy doing it and have the money to burn then who cares.  Consoles exist for convenience and baseline playability.  PCs offer more options to do... literally whatever you want, but at a price.

16 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Uh, well, it's kind of an objective fact that you spend more money and then you get something better.  Don't know why people should feel inferior for not doing it, and there's no reason for people to feel superior for doing it.  There are diminishing returns, but if people enjoy doing it and have the money to burn then who cares.  Consoles exist for convenience and baseline playability.  PCs offer more options to do... literally whatever you want, but at a price.

Great and I have no problem with anything you just said... im also not the one running around talking about PC Master Race ( a fucked up term anyway) or Console peasant bullshit   I have and had pretty high end computers for awhile, better than a lot of folks here I would imagine,  but I'm primarily a console gamer because I'm not a fan or sitting at a desk during leisure time. Game on what you want to game on... just don't pump your chest out because your computer cost as much as a used car. Who gives a shit? That's not directed at you specifically,  just speaking generally :peace:

Back on topic... INVISIBLE WALLS.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Great and I have no problem with anything you just said... im also not the one running around talking about PC Master Race ( a fucked up term anyway) or Console peasant bullshit

Perhaps you' have a misunderstanding of the term. It was meant to be used in jest not a literal description. It was a joke phrase termed by Yahtzee then people used jokingly and the console peasants got their jimmies rustled.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Perhaps you' have a misunderstanding of the term. It was meant to be used in jest not a literal description. It was a joke phrase termed by Yahtzee then people used jokingly and the console peasants got their jimmies rustled.

Oh it was a joke... OK. Nobody took it or themselves seriously.  Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

There isn't really anything "outdated" about inventory management/encumbrance or weapons/armor durability - those are perfectly reasonable mechanics/challenges for the player to overcome.

The issue is the EXECUTION of those game mechanics because that execution is extremely tricky in assuring the proper challenge/frustration balance.  As a result, most developers probably shouldn't even attempt it to begin with.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:35 PM, Ghost_MH said:

I so absolutely hate the "I'm winning this fight, cut scene, oh no I am defeat". It's still out there in games. Fuck you. If you're going to make me lose anyway, don't let me waste time restoring my health or have to "win" the fight by knocking the enemy HP down to some random number.

I think the most recent bad offender here is Kakarot in the fight versus Raditz. You have to lose that fight, but it still makes you go up against Raditz for two rounds and bring his HP down to zero before he's like "Ha, you're so weak and I was holding back". Meanwhile Goku went from 100% HP in the fight to ragged and almost dead in the cutscene.

Mandatory-lose battles in games in general are terrible because it's pretty much never obvious you're supposed to lose. Plenty of bad examples of this where it's a massive uphill battle where you burn all your health potions and stuff instead of a win/lose fakeout like you're describing.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Console/PC gaming forum flame war baiting.

Let's make it a three way: Where the mobile/handheld gamers at?

Touch screens or... die!

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Great and I have no problem with anything you just said... im also not the one running around talking about PC Master Race ( a fucked up term anyway) or Console peasant bullshit   I have and had pretty high end computers for awhile, better than a lot of folks here I would imagine,  but I'm primarily a console gamer because I'm not a fan or sitting at a desk during leisure time. Game on what you want to game on... just don't pump your chest out because your computer cost as much as a used car. Who gives a shit? That's not directed at you specifically,  just speaking generally :peace:

Back on topic... INVISIBLE WALLS.

I'd hope that was directed at me because I never touted any Master Race nonsense.  And back to your original point, you should have just stuck with fanboyism in general.  I mean... I've seen Xbox/Playstation fanboys flame the "other guy" worse than the console peasant mockery.  Spiteful fandom in general - from sports teams to cars to shit like Marvel vs. DC - are outdated.  Let's appreciate what everyone brings to the table.

On 9/18/2021 at 2:24 PM, Xbob42 said:

Oh! Aim Down Sights. Console bullshit designed to slow down combat and make shooters less fun. Only exception is scoped weapons, of course.

This is one of the things I didn't like about Destiny is that in order to actually do damage you have to ADS. You can hipfire at the head with the same accuracy but you won't do more damage unless you ADS.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This is one of the things I didn't like about Destiny is that in order to actually do damage you have to ADS. You can hipfire at the head with the same accuracy but you won't do more damage unless you ADS.

I don't remember that mechanic in the first game at all. Are you sure about that? Maybe it was there at launch, but I don't remember that being a thing by the time I got to it (The Taken King). 

As for @Xbob42post about aiming down sights, I disagree to a degree. If the game is supposed to be more realistic, especially something like a military shooter, it makes sense to aim down sights as why would a soldier be hip firing? For something like Half-life, Doom, Halo, or maybe even Destiny, yeah you don't really need to have ADS, and can keep the mechanics built around hip firing. Now I'm trying to picture playing Destiny 2 with no ADS except for the precision weapons. 🤔

37 minutes ago, Brick said:

I don't remember that mechanic in the first game at all. Are you sure about that? Maybe it was there at launch, but I don't remember that being a thing by the time I got to it (The Taken King). 

As for @Xbob42post about aiming down sights, I disagree to a degree. If the game is supposed to be more realistic, especially something like a military shooter, it makes sense to aim down sights as why would a soldier be hip firing? For something like Half-life, Doom, Halo, or maybe even Destiny, yeah you don't really need to have ADS, and can keep the mechanics built around hip firing. Now I'm trying to picture playing Destiny 2 with no ADS except for the precision weapons. 🤔

There are usually some many ludicrous concessions for the sake of gameplay in "realistic" shooters that the removal of ADS would hardly be noticeable to me except that the game would instantly be more fun.

I hated that halo became an ADS game and then Destiny followed suit. There were a few guns the you could scope in on, it was never a ADS game. 

I also hated the BR tho as well. I disliked having a "precision" weapon as the default. Fuck the DMR too. 

• True 1

On 9/17/2021 at 8:34 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Not a gaming mechanic but I thought about this last night.

Remember when you'd go to a website to download something but you'd have to wait in a queue of people and wait before your download would start? What was it, like fileplanet or something like that? Some waits were like hours.

That was awful! If the wait time was more than an hour or so I usually just checked again later. But I needed those Quake mods, lol.

• Thanks 1