Katrina 2: New Orleans expected to take direct hit from Hurricane Ida

One of my long time buddies back from the IGN DVD board days just text me today that they are looking at another week+ without electricity at their home in NOLA, so I think they are going to come stay with us this coming week.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

One of my long time buddies back from the IGN DVD board days just text me today that they are looking at another week+ without electricity at their home in NOLA, so I think they are going to come stay with us this coming week.

Go-mer-tonic? He’s the only one I can remember :p

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I might have to investigate these claims to see if they are true

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It genuinely appears that the remnants of Ida claimed more lives on the East Coast than on the Gulf Coast when it came ashore as a full-fledged Category 4.

Yeah, it's crazy that outside of losing power, New Orleans really wasn't hit *that* bad, all things considered. Meanwhile new York is under water

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah, it's crazy that outside of losing power, New Orleans really wasn't hit *that* bad, all things considered. Meanwhile new York is under water

While not to the same degree, it is is basically the Hurricane Harvey story. Houston didn’t get boned by hurricane force wind or storm surge, that all happened down south on the coast. Houston got boned when the storm sat on top of us moving super slowly in just the right spot that it could still feed off the gulf waters plus the “brown ocean effect” where it was reenergized by the rain water it dumped that was still sitting on the surface.

We also had a mass flooding event back when I was in high school where a tropical

storm (Allison? I think) blew threw on day, and then some sort of weather system caused it to literally loop back around two days later to drop another 15+ inches of rain in a single day in many parts of the city.

For real though, flooding is so much more frightening to me than hurricane force winds, and I’ve sat through 4 hours of 130mph sustained winds…which is uncomfortable :p 

• 2 weeks later...

Been raining for 20 straight hours here at my house, as little as a drizzle and as much as 1.5-2” per hour at times.

Nicholas just made it to hurricane status. Looks like it is just going to ride the gulf coast around into Louisiana over the next 3 days. Jeez.

Gusting in the 50s. Big branch on one my trees snapped and narrowly missed falling on my truck 😮 I guess quarantining from the kids is over cause they are freaking out now 😂

That was not too bad. No flooding in our area, some broken tree branches here and there. A lot of friends have power outages at the moment but I’m seeing most should be restored later this afternoon.