Katrina 2: New Orleans expected to take direct hit from Hurricane Ida

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The main concern now is the extreme heat in the aftermath of a storm that has effectively knocked out electricity for a large portion, if not most, of the state.

The heat indices are going to be over 105F.

Oh no. Do they have a sense as to what the wet bulb temperature is going to be?

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

No coastal city is even remotely close to even being borderline ready to cope with climate change.

If the Netherlands were smart, they'd start exporting their engineers to all the coastal cities in the world, they've been fighting a war against the sea for centuries. Every coastal city should have its Dutch engineer, they'd be like the court vizier.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

If the Netherlands were smart, they'd start exporting their engineers to all the coastal cities in the world, they've been fighting a war against the sea for centuries. Every coastal city should have its Dutch engineer, they'd be like the court vizier.

Most cities just don't prioritize some infrastructure spending though. And I don't mean the actual construction costs for projects--I mean the actual studies or design proposals just never get explored beyond "it's going to flood X amount. You should do something about that!"

35 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just to update my citys combined sewer overflow so that it doesn't dump literal shit into the river after nearly every rain event will cost about a billion dollars so maybe that's something to do with it too

I work on a program for a client that plans projects to reduce overflows in the sewer system. It started out at $1.5 billion for 10 years. Now we're at 12 years and it's closer to $2 bln. 

Depending on the city and the extents of the sewer overflows... that sounds about right!

This client I work for is doing this under a consent decree from the EPA... so they HAVE to.

2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I work on a program for a client that plans projects to reduce overflows in the sewer system. It started out at $1.5 billion for 10 years. Now we're at 12 years and it's closer to $2 bln. 

Depending on the city and the extents of the sewer overflows... that sounds about right!

This client I work for is doing this under a consent decree from the EPA... so they HAVE to.

I think it's us, Alexandria, and Roanoke in the commonwealth and we're jockeying for money from the state and feds to pay for it or we are looking at orders of magnitude higher bills

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I think it's us, Alexandria, and Roanoke in the commonwealth and we're jockeying for money from the state and feds to pay for it or we are looking at orders of magnitude higher bills

That's at least some forward thinking. Well done. This is what infrastructure spending should be, really. Everyone talks roads and bridges. No one thinks about drainage or sewer or clean water. 

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

That seems crazy. Portland conducted a massive overhaul to the drainage system including two massive pipes, one of which is 6 miles long and 22 feet in diameter that runs under the east side of the city, another that's 3.5 miles long and 14 feet wide under the west side of the city. They join together and run to the north of the city to a new pump station that feeds the main treatment plant, which also got overhauled. The total cost of that, everything included, was 1.4 billion. It did take 20 years, but hey ho. Almost no sewage got put dumped into the rivers last year.