Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

So I decided to be brave and try out games that are not deck verified.

I checked out Timelie, which has "unknown" compatibility. However, it fired up and played perfectly.

Then I wanted to try Chimera Squad because it says it is "Playable" but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess they shoehorned in some shitty 2K launcher and so it makes the game unable to be played. Though looking at the steam discussions it seems like it's broken for everyone not just Deck users. Disappointing to say the least since it would be nice to play this game on a deck but I'm going to wager any game that uses this 2K launcher is going to be broken. - I didn't try from desktop mode which might make it work but eh.

So I tried another "playable" game. Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, and that worked.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So I decided to be brave and try out games that are not deck verified.

I checked out Timelie, which has "unknown" compatibility. However, it fired up and played perfectly.

Then I wanted to try Chimera Squad because it says it is "Playable" but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess they shoehorned in some shitty 2K launcher and so it makes the game unable to be played. Though looking at the steam discussions it seems like it's broken for everyone not just Deck users. Disappointing to say the least since it would be nice to play this game on a deck but I'm going to wager any game that uses this 2K launcher is going to be broken. - I didn't try from desktop mode which might make it work but eh.

So I tried another "playable" game. Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, and that worked.

How well does Bloodstained run? Solid 60 FPS?

36 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Apparently the line queue moved less than 1 minute today, only people with reserve times between +7:00 and +7:42 got their emails to purchase.

At this pace RIP to anyone who didn't get a reservation within the first hour, you'll see yours in 2023.

Is that 7:00:00 to 7:00:42?

1 minute ago, thedarkstark said:

no like 7 minutes after reservations went live - 7 minutes and 42 seconds after reserveations went live. (10:07:42 am PST) on July 16th 2021

Ahhh ingot ya. Okay so I’m 40 minutes in, so it will probably be at least a month. Good. Got fucked by EDD and need to wait for them to resolve some issue to get my last disability checks and then I should get my work checks now that I’m back as well as a tax return. But I have no money for at least two weeks so I was worried I wouldn’t be able to buy mine. :P

48 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Apparently the line queue moved less than 1 minute today, only people with reserve times between +7:00 and +7:42 got their emails to purchase.

At this pace RIP to anyone who didn't get a reservation within the first hour, you'll see yours in 2023.

Well I got mine in at like 3:53pm eastern and I am Q3. I imagine people that ordered when it hit general availability are probably late Q3 or later.

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

hey easy for you believe you have like 700 portable gaming pcs now ok

I was thinking of hitting up Aya's indiegogo for a different color Neo but spent enough. I hope the next Advance unit has colors other then silver.

Just now, Zaku3 said:

I was thinking of hitting up Aya's indiegogo for a different color Neo but spent enough. I hope the next Advance unit has colors other then silver.

To me it seems like these things (had a few gpds myself) you spend so much time tinkering to get them just right that you would be in an endless cycle of setup and benching if you keep buying new ones. :P

1 hour ago, stepee said:

To me it seems like these things (had a few gpds myself) you spend so much time tinkering to get them just right that you would be in an endless cycle of setup and benching if you keep buying new ones. :P

It's like setting up a new PC every time. Though I'm on that upgrade treadmill so soon as somebody annouces a new 6800u model. Probably gonna stick wit Aya though. Communication isn't perfect but they fix issues and are even gonna send me a screen protector and case for free.

According to the roadmap and I imagine pressure from Intel the 7xxx series of APUs should be RDNA3 based so another upgrade. Will probably just give my old ones to my friends or something.

10 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It's like setting up a new PC every time. Though I'm on that upgrade treadmill so soon as somebody annouces a new 6800u model. Probably gonna stick wit Aya though. Communication isn't perfect but they fix issues and are even gonna send me a screen protector and case for free.

According to the roadmap and I imagine pressure from Intel the 7xxx series of APUs should be RDNA3 based so another upgrade. Will probably just give my old ones to my friends or something.

So overall you do like the Aya better than the deck so far huh?

17 hours ago, stepee said:

So overall you do like the Aya better than the deck so far huh?

Yes but I am replaying KOTOR on the deck. Though I guess with reWASD I could play CRPGs on the Neo. However I just found out about rewasd and have no clue how to use it just yet.

The ultimate device at this point based on how things are would be a Deck that uses a standard AMD APU so you can use Windows without fear of will AMD keep these drivers for a custom APU updated and either an OLED screen if possible or a bettet screen. The Neo's screen has better colors and it's pretty noticeable. 

I did check the deck's desktop and it seems worse then before couldn't even get the mouse to reliably show up. 

I think the steam deck is gonna be at it's best playing steam games and probably emulators that don't need like a BiOS or something from the original console.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Yes but I am replaying KOTOR on the deck. Though I guess with reWASD I could play CRPGs on the Neo. However I just found out about rewasd and have no clue how to use it just yet.

The ultimate device at this point based on how things are would be a Deck that uses a standard AMD APU so you can use Windows without fear of will AMD keep these drivers for a custom APU updated and either an OLED screen if possible or a bettet screen. The Neo's screen has better colors and it's pretty noticeable. 

I did check the deck's desktop and it seems worse then before couldn't even get the mouse to reliably show up. 

I think the steam deck is gonna be at it's best playing steam games and probably emulators that don't need like a BiOS or something from the original console.

For emu setup, can’t you get around the pains of that just plugging in a dock and using mouse and keyboard or no? 

That all makes sense though, I do still believe/hope Valve will make sure Windows works just fine here sooner than later. 

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

For emu setup, can’t you get around the pains of that just plugging in a dock and using mouse and keyboard or no? 

That all makes sense though, I do still believe/hope Valve will make sure Windows works just fine here sooner than later. 

Yes I don't have a USB hub well I kinda do now. Bought a USB switch so I don't have to plu/unplug my keyboard and mouse between my work PC and personal.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Are you using the track pad? It usually works for me that way, never had an issue with that.

Yes. Maybe it's the beta I am on. 

Also omg that was scary. Had to beat the KOTOR swoop bike race with the picture disappearing. Note to self no swoop bike racing.

Funny story. Decided to charge my alienware and update the drivers andndo windows updates since it's been awhile. At first I thought I wasted money on the HP ultrabook I got until the alienware started burning my lap. All while web browsing and updating drivers.