Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, update: Ron Perlman to voice Optimus Primal, Peter Cullen to voice Optimus Prime

MCDTRAN_EC065-e1624325321952.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

On Tuesday, director Steven Caples Jr. appeared for a virtual event teasing the seventh film in the 'Transformers' franchise.

In the upcoming film, we’ll see the Beast War robots go to war with their natural enemies, the Predacons. The Terracons will present another “new threat”; saving the world will be left up to the Autobots and the Maximals.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I loved Beast Wars/Beasties, so this is cool...but I doubt they will live up to the cartoon. Sounds like the Predacons will all be reptillian. No! We need dinosaur and insects, too!

I agree with everything. I wonder if Optimus Prime will meet Optimus Primal, and if so will Primal be voiced my the same actor from the cartoon just like Prime is voiced by the same actor from the original Transformers cartoon? I want T-Rex Megatron, Tarantulas, Waspinator, Cheetor, Rhinox, Inferno, Rattrap, etc. Beast Wars was a great cartoon, even though it was a little silly that the Canadian version needed to be called Beasties because we don't like war for children in our country. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I loved Beast Wars/Beasties, so this is cool...but I doubt they will live up to the cartoon. Sounds like the Predacons will all be reptillian. No! We need dinosaur and insects, too!

Agreed, yes! Predacons cannot be limited to just a small number of species, no! And what of Dinobot? Is he not Maximal still? I should think so, yes!

10 minutes ago, Brick said:

I agree with everything. I wonder if Optimus Prime will meet Optimus Primal, and if so will Primal be voiced my the same actor from the cartoon just like Prime is voiced by the same actor from the original Transformers cartoon? I want T-Rex Megatron, Tarantulas, Waspinator, Cheetor, Rhinox, Inferno, Rattrap, etc. Beast Wars was a great cartoon, even though it was a little silly that the Canadian version needed to be called Beasties because we don't like war for children in our country. 

The voice acting was amazing on that show, and it would be awesome if the original actors came back!

12 hours ago, Reputator said:

I couldn't watch Beast Machines when I was kid. I thought all the characters looked butt ugly, and didn't it take place on Cybertron or something? I couldn't stand it.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Yeah it took place on Cybertron and Megatron has taken over, and then it ends with basically the synthesis ending of Mass Effect 3.

Beast Machines is interesting because it's super spiritual and very open about being more adult themed at times. I mean, right from the top of the wikipedia page about Beast Machines: 

"Of the Transformers animated series produced in North America, Beast Machines was the only one to have been completely conceptualized and outlined in advance, lending it a more serialized and linear storyline than the others. Prior to Transformers: Prime in 2010, Beast Machines was also the last, and second only entirely computer-animated Transformers series produced, along with its predecessor Beast Wars . . . It is also the final installment in the Generation 1 cartoon era, and compared to much of its predecessors, the show features more mature storytelling elements than most children's television programs."

It actually makes for a pretty unique sequel. It doesn't all work, but I enjoyed Beast Machines more as an adult than as a kid. Beast Wars slaps either way though.

Ron-Perlman-transformers-rise-of-the-bea
COLLIDER.COM

Ron Perlman will voice Optimus Primal in Transformers: Rise of the Beasts after voicing the character in the animated series Power of the Primes.

Ron Perlman has been tapped to voice Optimus Primal in Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, Collider has exclusively learned.

Optimus Primal is the fearless leader of the Maximals, and though Perlman did not voice Primal in the original Beast Wars: Transformers series -- that was Garry Chalk -- he did voice the character in the animated series Transformers: Power of the Primes. And for those wondering, yes, Peter Cullen will return to voice Optimus Prime in the character's G1 robot form, and the movie's plot will reveal why the Cybertronian has a connection to Earth and humanity.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, update: Ron Perlman to voice Optimus Primal, Peter Cullen to voice Optimus Prime
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, silentbob said:

without Bay at the helm, it looks sort of ok. Plus I’m loving the original cartoon transformers/designs for everyone. 

Recently re-watched DotM, AoE and TLK and I hope this is a change of pace because the human plots were completely irrelevant, boring, and had too much screentime. In TLK I had sensory overload from the excessive number of explosions, and by the end I really just didn't care what happened to anything. This trailer looks great, and they continue to make the look of the 'bots more distinguishable from each other which is great. But we also can't get our hopes up on a trailer. All of the Transformers movies can be cut into an awesome looking trailer, with hints of an epic world-changing plot that you'll give a shit about, and they never live up to that at all.

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Recently re-watched DotM, AoE and TLK and I hope this is a change of pace because the human plots were completely irrelevant, boring, and had too much screentime. In TLK I had sensory overload from the excessive number of explosions, and by the end I really just didn't care what happened to anything. This trailer looks great, and they continue to make the look of the 'bots more distinguishable from each other which is great. But we also can't get our hopes up on a trailer. All of the Transformers movies can be cut into an awesome looking trailer, with hints of an epic world-changing plot that you'll give a shit about, and they never live up to that at all.

I recommend Bumblebee, from the guy who directed Kubo and the Two Strings. That was a legit solid Transformers movie, probably the best since the first (and better since it doesn't have all the Megan Fox ogling, even if I like it). :p 

37 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I recommend Bumblebee, from the guy who directed Kubo and the Two Strings. That was a legit solid Transformers movie, probably the best since the first (and better since it doesn't have all the Megan Fox ogling, even if I like it). :p 

I should re-watch it. I saw it once and all I can really remember about it was it was so dark - as in a lot of it was set at night. Am I right on that?

But I should also clarify by "not caring about the human plot." It's not that I want to see a compelling human plot, it's that AoE and TLK were so damn long and had so many human scenes that I just wanted them to be cut down. There was just too much screen time in proportion to Transformer screen time. And the fact they were all redundant and didn't go anywhere made them worse.

Also I will say that objectively Dark of the Moon is paced and balanced pretty well, maybe the best of them all. HOWEVER I cannot bring myself to like or forgive this movie for honestly saying "the dark side of the moon" over and over again. People, "smart" people, keep saying it. They keep saying we have been there, we have to go there, and that place exists. THERE IS NO DARK SIDE OF THE MOON DAMMIT.  Worst of all, there is one Ramblin' LaBeouf line from a character who does actually clarify that there is no dark side of the moon, yet later ithis asshole, and everyone else in the movie, says the phrase in seriousness.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I should re-watch it. I saw it once and all I can really remember about it was it was so dark - as in a lot of it was set at night. Am I right on that?

But I should also clarify by "not caring about the human plot." It's not that I want to see a compelling human plot, it's that AoE and TLK were so damn long and had so many human scenes that I just wanted them to be cut down. There was just too much screen time in proportion to Transformer screen time. And the fact they were all redundant and didn't go anywhere made them worse.

Also I will say that objectively Dark of the Moon is paced and balanced pretty well, maybe the best of them all. HOWEVER I cannot bring myself to like or forgive this movie for honestly saying "the dark side of the moon" over and over again. People, "smart" people, keep saying it. They keep saying we have been there, we have to go there, and that place exists. THERE IS NO DARK SIDE OF THE MOON DAMMIT.  Worst of all, there is one Ramblin' LaBeouf line from a character who does actually clarify that there is no dark side of the moon, yet later ithis asshole, and everyone else in the movie, says the phrase in seriousness.

Bumblebee has a pretty extended final act night scene if I recall so it could be that, but I don't remember the film being overly dark overall. I'd definitely give it a rewatch - the opening is pure awesome fan service. As for the other movies, I'm impressed you're even trying, this is my breakdown:

The Transformers: The Movie (1986): THE GOAT (I just wanted to include this one but it is the GOAT) :p 

Transformers (2007): I always thought this was a great blockbuster movie. I've always been a big fan of The Island and this carries over from Bay directing that. It's got some parts that of course have aged poorly but it's funny and fun and has fun nods to the original series and good action scenes

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: garbage, almost impossible to get through despite the excellent trailers it had. Poorly shot and edited, no good action scenes, etc.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon: 25 minutes (spread throughout the film) of awesome action scenes because Bay used IMAX cameras for the first time so he holds the shots - the attack on Chicago flight sequence is worth it alone. The rest of the movie is pretty terrible outside the action though

Transformers: Age of Extinction: again, 20-25 minutes of some pretty awesome action scenes spread throughout the film, otherwise the film is again, just a poorly plotted, paced, written slog of a film that like the two before it just makes little sense with an exhausting runtime

Transformers: The Last Knight: surprisingly, I have not seen this one still yet because the last three were all pretty bad, I sort of gave up, probably will see it someday though (perhaps this weekend now that I've remembered about it)

Bumblebee: really enjoyable. a sweet story of a girl and her car with a clear respect for the original source material, proved by the awesome opening scenes. The best movie since the first one with Shia Labeouf

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts: we'll see

That's my take on them. The sequels just aren't good films outside of the action scenes, ignoring Bumblebee (which are hilariously brutal in AoE and don't match the rest of the tone of the film at all; T.J. Miller gets incinerated on camera with a long held shot as an expensive sports car drives past, it is epic); the action scenes are worth it or you could just watch a compilation somewhere. :p And let's be clear, that's the reason Bay made so many of these - as technical exercises for action scenes. He never cared about Transformers and clearly stopped caring to make a "real" movie after the first one, which was actually good. In that respect for action scenes, he does nail it (except for Revenge of the Fallen, just bad all around). What's particularly hilarious is The Last Knight leaves a decent number of story threads open at the end from what I can tell and Bay was like: "fuck it, not finishing the second trilogy" and bailed.

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally watched it.

This felt like a back-to-basics, competent action movie. The emotions and plot are simplified (probably too much), and nothing egregiously dumb/silly happens (compared to previous Transformers movies). I'd still love to see more of the 'Bots and Maximals as developed characters, and have the human storylines streamlined. They missed some opportunities to make the protagonist stick out and be memorable. He didn't utilize any of his unique skills at all - electronics wizard, whatever specialized military training - which made it hard to believe he would be part of the mission to save the world. The movie also should have cut out the number of times humans, with no weapons, manage to run away and evade the evil bots, which seriously lowered the tension and threat level the bad guys posed. I did thoroughly enjoy the Transformers' interactions, which is why I even watch these things. Overall it was enjoyable and one of the better entries in the series, mostly because it didn't do anything super dumb.

And looks like we're getting the Hasbro-niverse. What should we call it? Toy... Stories?

Watched this last night. Not as good as Bumble Bee, better than the other Transformers movies. For a minute I thought that 

Spoiler

The maximals couldn’t transform in this version of them. It was almost weird that none of them “maximized” until the last battle of the movie :p 

I knew Dinobot wouldn’t be in this since they went with the Terrorcons instead of the Predacons, but no Rattrap was a sad omission