Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, update: Ron Perlman to voice Optimus Primal, Peter Cullen to voice Optimus Prime

On 7/13/2023 at 3:26 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

Finally watched it.

This felt like a back-to-basics, competent action movie. The emotions and plot are simplified (probably too much), and nothing egregiously dumb/silly happens (compared to previous Transformers movies). I'd still love to see more of the 'Bots and Maximals as developed characters, and have the human storylines streamlined. They missed some opportunities to make the protagonist stick out and be memorable. He didn't utilize any of his unique skills at all - electronics wizard, whatever specialized military training - which made it hard to believe he would be part of the mission to save the world. The movie also should have cut out the number of times humans, with no weapons, manage to run away and evade the evil bots, which seriously lowered the tension and threat level the bad guys posed. I did thoroughly enjoy the Transformers' interactions, which is why I even watch these things. Overall it was enjoyable and one of the better entries in the series, mostly because it didn't do anything super dumb.

This echoes my thoughts as well, having just seen it. Not as good as Bumblebee but still enjoyable if a pretty typical stock action/adventure movie in terms of plot and character arcs. I didn't expect it to be such a direct sequel to Bumblebee - I feel like this confirms Bumblebee (and now this movie) mean Transformers has been rebooted for live-action? It's nice we're even getting decent to good Transformers movies after 4 Michael Bay misfires (I still think his original Transformers is pretty good).