Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update: "PC optimised settings and graphics comparison vs PS5" (Digital Foundry)

SaysWho?

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think I see what you're getting at ;)

Yes Best do not buy this game. It's only for people with big boy PCs. This will not look as good as a PC at max settings on your PS5 and you shouldn't look at the amazing lighting and dense foliage on your PS5 and your OLED TV. You have been warned. Don't do it.

I'm passing. Maybe when it hits gamepass down the road. 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I think I see what you're getting at ;)

Yes Best do not buy this game. It's only for people with big boy PCs. This will not look as good as a PC at max settings on your PS5 and you shouldn't look at the amazing lighting and dense foliage on your PS5 and your OLED TV. You have been warned. Don't do it.

Not what I was saying.

"Best don't buy this game expecting to play what you saw in that video (which is partially what I am doing).  Base your decision after seeing the version you will actually play."

Alex has said he is working on a video that will compare all of the versions.

I'm not ashamed to admit that my decision to buy it so soon is based on how stupidly good the graphics look.

• Halal 1

Text article of the Digital Foundry analysis:

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Digital Foundry on how Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora is one of the most visually accomplished games of 2023.

What a year it's been for real-time 3D graphics! With Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, we're looking at one of the most visually accomplished releases of 2023, seemingly released without much fanfare. However, when you look at the creators behind the franchise and the game, perhaps we should have expected something special. It's hard to deny the attention to detail that James Cameron has as a creator, not to mention Avatar's reputation for pushing the limits of movie CG. But how do you compress down the blockbuster experience when rendering on a home console? That is where Ubisoft Massive comes in with its superb Snowdrop engine. The tech delivered sensational results on prior titles primarily designed for last-gen hardware, but with a new baseline in technology defined by PC and the latest consoles, Massive has delivered an Avatar game worthy of the name.

Today we're talking about the high-end PC experience, but I should stress that the game is eminently scalable. It runs with both performance and quality modes on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, and it still looks phenomenal when its targeting 60 frames per second. Even Xbox Series S looks great, albeit limited to a single 30fps mode. So, while we're talking about the ultra experience, right now we're fairly confident in recommending Frontiers of Pandora on all consoles too.

As a result, Massive has upgraded Snowdrop to fully support a global illumination system based on hardware-accelerated ray tracing - and the results are quite a sight to behold. RTGI is most striking in areas that are heavily occluded, like the mouths of caves, for example. Sunlight floods in through the entrance, bouncing around but losing intensity the further into the cave you look. Similarly, the greenish tinge brought about by light bouncing off the foliage and vegetation is another hallmark of RTGI. Thanks to ray traced global illumination, corners and crevices in Avatar get suitably dark and objects seldom look like they are floating above the surface they're resting on - and this makes any area of the game look much more tangible than it would were it using a non-RT technique.

This is especially evident in all the areas of lush jungle where the canopy above blocks out a lot of the sun and sky light - you can see that encroaching darkness from the foliage around you but importantly, it is not just pitch black: the colour from all the leaves, trees and more is bouncing around the scene, lighting it up with a localised green bounce. Walking around the jungle in this game gave me the rare feeling I got from Crysis in 2007, where the combination of plant density and movement mixed seamlessly with the lighting and dappled shadows from above communicate the sense that you are in the wilderness, where wood creaks under your feet and exotic plant life surrounds you. It is seriously well done, and I think many people will immediately appreciate that when they first step out into the jungle from the high-tech sci-fi interiors where the game begins.

Lighting is the key foundation on which this world is built, but what about the world itself? Frontiers of Pandora excels here too and you notice it right away on the micro scale when you step out into the jungle. Plants, terrain, and all the little scattered details in the outdoor sections have an individual quality that holds up to very close scrutiny, rewarding your attention with really high surface and texture detail. Shadow detail looks good on many objects as hardware ray tracing is leveraged to give hard contact shadows to objects of a larger scale, which are then blended in with shadow maps. When the lighting combines with the shadows, any object in the game looks great when you get up close. And throughout the game, you're often surprised just by how much new granular detail you find in some random corner of the game world.

Thankfully, that micro detail does not mean the game skimps on the larger scale rendering. At a distance, the game fills out all the detail far into the distance, almost always teeming with plant and animal life. The views of the landscapes always impress and at normal walking speed, the density of the foliage and ground detail is unprecedented for current-gen games. On PC at least, the level of detail popping on average is not a concern and only when you get access to your flying mount does the pop-in start to become more visible, but given the speed you fly and the vista distance, the effect is understandable.

Fidelity is high in Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora but in addition to that, the world is reactive and interactive. You can see that in the plant life, which can serve gameplay purposes like giving you speed boosts, breaking your falls, or acting as booster pads to propel you up high. Some plants can harm you while reacting to your presence, showing unique animations and behaviours depending upon the plant type. Physically, nearly every plant in the world moves and bends as it is touched by you, the wind, or non-player characters.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Luna) - update: " An Incredible Showcase For Cutting-Edge Real-Time Graphics" (Digital Foundry "Ultra" PC experience analysis)
On 12/7/2023 at 2:07 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Very few of you care when I bring him up but Max is absolutely gushing over this game. He's really blown away by the graphics it seems.

He's a pretty big Avatar fan though, but said he has never played a Far Cry game. But he did say that the game feels very much like a Robocop situation where if you like it you like it and if you don't you don't.

who the fuck is max 

• Haha 1

I usually do Ubi+ for ubi games these days - it’s the only service I bother signing up off and on for - I like how you get the deluxe versions that I normally would never buy. Right now is a good time for me for Ubi since I want to play Mirage, the new POP, I do want to play more of the new Crew, and of course this. So they might get 2-3 months. I also finally beat the last Valhalla dlc while subbed for this stuff. Oh yeah and I want to see how Riders republic is doing. 

Their selection of third party indies is pathetically small to the point I don’t know why they bother though. I wish they’d get more different stuff because I personally like Ubi games and wouldn’t mind just staying on but their price is not good for that with what they offer.

11 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Ok Digital Foundry to the rescue. 

I just watched this and man I am beyond hype now - definitely playing after Robocop but still want to do all the side quests in that too because it’s rad. Also I need to watch Way of Water on quest this weekend too. I’ll just run around a bit tomorrow to see some pretty to pacify myself.

And not just the graphics, but what he says about the gameplay too! Definitely does not seem like a 4/10 Im calling “clicks” on that.

• Hype 1