Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update: "PC optimised settings and graphics comparison vs PS5" (Digital Foundry)

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The average score seems to be really dragged down by a bunch of scores from places I have never heard of: 4/10 from IndianTVCZ, 5/10 from Stevivor, 5/10 from Techraptor, 5.5/10 from Sector.sk, 4.5/10 from Checkpoint gaming.

That is interesting, it’s a really mixed reception but the split does seem mostly down to no-name sites vs more major publications. Not to be conspiratorial but it does seem a little like some places may have just wanted to give it a bad score because haha ubi and Avatar.

Either way, doesn’t sound broken, sounds exactly what I thought it would be, and the main thing for me is the tech. Maybe after checking out the graphics it doesn’t become my next main game after Robocop but I still very much want to play it. But I also like my 7/10’s.

Already found a copy of Way of the Water in 3D last night so I can watch that on Quest3 on a movie theater size screen since I missed it in theaters to get ready!

Edit: Actually case in point, Robocop didn’t score much better and it’s freakin fantastic 

• Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

That is interesting, it’s a really mixed reception but the split does seem mostly down to no-name sites vs more major publications. Not to be conspiratorial but it does seem a little like some places may have just wanted to give it a bad score because haha ubi and Avatar.

Either way, doesn’t sound broken, sounds exactly what I thought it would be, and the main thing for me is the tech. Maybe after checking out the graphics it doesn’t become my next main game after Robocop but I still very much want to play it. But I also like my 7/10’s.

Already found a copy of Way of the Water in 3D last night so I can watch that on Quest3 on a movie theater size screen since I missed it in theaters to get ready!

Edit: Actually case in point, Robocop didn’t score much better and it’s freakin fantastic 

It's clearly not a game for everyone.

There are a lot of people who don't like Ubisoft open world games and/or stealth focused games -- so my take is that it's less likely a play for traffic, and more likely that these are games that are "just not for them".

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's clearly not a game for everyone.

There are a lot of people who don't like Ubisoft open world games and/or stealth focused games -- so my take is that it's less likely a play for traffic, and more likely that these are games that are "just not for them".

I do agree that is more likely, though maybe a little bit of both. If something isn’t for me I don’t go and say it’s a 4/10 if it’s otherwise competently made and not broken.

But yeah I knew it was good looking far cry in Avatar skin and I always thought that sounded fun. I loved Far Cry 6 - and as long as other devs don’t also do the Ubi formula too much I don’t hate it myself.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's like who do you trust a review from Gamespot or some review I wrote on some website? Sure @Greatoneshere might be down to read that review but at the end of the day there is less credibility from an outlet like that.

It's not about credibility, it's about seeing whether your opinion reflects what I'm interested in. You liked DOTA: Dragon's Blood over Arcane. You liked Onimusha over Blue Eye Samurai. You think all dubs in all languages of Japanese anime are bad, period. You liked a live-action RE adaptation when it wasn't an adaptation of RE (I'm an RE fan). You liked a live-action Halo adaptation when it wasn't an adaptation of Halo (I'm a Halo fan). To me, what you seem to like/gravitate towards are not what I like/gravitate towards when it comes to deciding what is better and what is worse (sometimes) so that's why a glowing review of Halo by you doesn't sway me on its own to go watch it (and you must be aware it got a very divisive response when it released). A random review from Gamespot wouldn't change my mind either depending on what was written. I mean you gave Blue Eye Samurai a 6/10 but The Transporter 3 a 7/10 - that's crazy talk to me. The Transporter 3 is an incoherently edited bad action movie. Even if you don't like Blue Eye Samurai, its animation, its imagination, its creativity blows everything Transporter 3 does (which isn't much) out of the water. Random K-dramas are pulling in 8/10's from you but Blue is the Warmest Color, a universally loved romance film (which is really good), gets a 7/10 from you. It's a lot of things like this which makes me note your opinion but not always take it to heart (like Halo). Has nothing to do with comparing you to other reviewers/people or credibility.

• Haha 3
  • Hype 1

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

A random review from Gamespot wouldn't either depending on what was written. I mean you have Blue Eye Samurai a 6/10 but The Transporter 3 a 7/10 - that's crazy talk to me. The Transporter 3 is an incoherently edited bad action movie. Even if you don't like Blue Eye Samurai, it's animation, it's imagination, it's creativity blows everything Transporter 3 does (which isn't much) out of the water. Random K-dramas are pulling in 8/10's but Blue is the Warmest Color, a universally loved romance film, gets a 7/10 from you. It's a lot of things like this which makes me note your opinion but not take it to heart. Has nothing to do with comparing you to other reviewers/people.

Damn man. I was just talking about my review from mybutthole.com you didn't have to go so hard. 😭

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I know exactly what I am getting  myself into. I don't hate FC games and this is exactly that. I appreciate the Avatar world so it will be cool. 

You have no idea what you are getting yourself into and it will be the farthest thing from cool. 

I just watched the Gameranx “before you buy” and I’m a bit amazed by how underwhelming the visuals look for a 2023, considering they were playing maxed out on PC. It’s not ugly, it (and mostly the character models) look years out of date. Like they’d be at home on the PS4. I couldn’t even tell if it looked better than AC Odyssey or Valhalla, or even Horizon ZD on PC. Though the combat looks less fun than those games. 

I might try it out at some point. I’m not the biggest fan of the Avatar movie franchise. Never saw the first one all the way through and the second was ok. Honestly the game would interest me more if the humans were almost not even in the game. My favorite parts of the second movie was just the family learned the ways of another tribe and understanding a part of the world completely foreign to them. 

56 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I just watched the Gameranx “before you buy” and I’m a bit amazed by how underwhelming the visuals look for a 2023, considering they were playing maxed out on PC. It’s not ugly, it (and mostly the character models) look years out of date. Like they’d be at home on the PS4. I couldn’t even tell if it looked better than AC Odyssey or Valhalla, or even Horizon ZD on PC. Though the combat looks less fun than those games. 

I might try it out at some point. I’m not the biggest fan of the Avatar movie franchise. Never saw the first one all the way through and the second was ok. Honestly the game would interest me more if the humans were almost not even in the game. My favorite parts of the second movie was just the family learned the ways of another tribe and understanding a part of the world completely foreign to them. 

Maybe it was bad quality footage or something? That doesnt match anything I’ve seen or read about the game so far - but we will see soon!

Very few of you care when I bring him up but Max is absolutely gushing over this game. He's really blown away by the graphics it seems.

He's a pretty big Avatar fan though, but said he has never played a Far Cry game. But he did say that the game feels very much like a Robocop situation where if you like it you like it and if you don't you don't.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Damn it looks pretty bonkers without doing this, very curious what this will look like. I just arrived in Pandora and yeah this doesn’t even look like in the same generation as Zero Dawn/Odyssey (as it should!) :P 

Its definitely a very impressive looking game.

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Damn it looks pretty bonkers without doing this, very curious what this will look like. I just arrived in Pandora and yeah this doesn’t even look like in the same generation as Zero Dawn/Odyssey (as it should!) :P 

Its definitely a very impressive looking game.

How are you playing this already? 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So what's your opinion so far? Something I may like? I get paid tomorrow one last time from my job.  🤪 

It seems pretty cool but I only played 40 minutes - it could be horrible for all I know still - I don’t think it’s going to be a must have either way unless you really want Avatar far cry, if you do, then it is.

Id save the money for the holiday sale and get some stuff then probably 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

It seems pretty cool but I only played 40 minutes - it could be horrible for all I know still - I don’t think it’s going to be a must have either way unless you really want Avatar far cry, if you do, then it is.

Id save the money for the holiday sale and get some stuff then probably 

Ok. I'm just a junkie looking for my next fix. I'm ridiculous.