Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update: "PC optimised settings and graphics comparison vs PS5" (Digital Foundry)

SaysWho?

On 12/7/2023 at 2:07 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Very few of you care when I bring him up but Max is absolutely gushing over this game. He's really blown away by the graphics it seems.

He's a pretty big Avatar fan though, but said he has never played a Far Cry game. But he did say that the game feels very much like a Robocop situation where if you like it you like it and if you don't you don't.

He probably just likes it because you can unlock

MAX SETTINGS

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

Really pumped to play more of it, went up to the resistance base before going back to Robocop. Set it to the unlockable ultra and yeah it’s quite insane. The geometry and density kind of takes the wind out of the upcoming Horizon FW’ pc port’s sails. Unless they ramp that up a lot for pc.

Wish it came out in late November so Puredark probably would have picked it for his December mod. Instead it looks like we will get something dumb like Kingdom Come Deliverance because he put it out for a vote. Would really benefit from dlss3 frame gen and lame Ubi themselves didn’t do it.

As is you have to essentially pick between dlss performance mode at 60 fps or fsr3 balanced with frame gen at 90-100fps on a 4090. You need to do balanced because you don’t get high enough for fsr3 to work well otherwise. I think fsr3 is the best choice between the two because the temporal resolution increase from the extra frames is better than the better AA with dlss. Of course if it had dlss3 you’d get even better temporal resolution and also AA. 

Small nitpick as it still is absolutely breathtaking, but always a shame to see developers hold things back, even if a little, for an Amd paycheck.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Really pumped to play more of it, went up to the resistance base before going back to Robocop. Set it to the unlockable ultra and yeah it’s quite insane. The geometry and density kind of takes the wind out of the upcoming Horizon FW’ pc port’s sails. Unless they ramp that up a lot for pc.

Wish it came out in late November so Puredark probably would have picked it for his December mod. Instead it looks like we will get something dumb like Kingdom Come Deliverance because he put it out for a vote. Would really benefit from dlss3 frame gen and lame Ubi themselves didn’t do it.

As is you have to essentially pick between dlss performance mode at 60 fps or fsr3 balanced with frame gen at 90-100fps. You need to do balanced because you don’t get high enough for fsr3 to work well otherwise. I think fsr3 is the best choice between the two because the temporal resolution increase from the extra frames is better than the better AA with dlss. Of course if it had dlss3 you’d get even better temporal resolution and also AA. 

Small nitpick as it still is absolutely breathtaking, but always a shame to see developers hold things back, even if a little, for an Amd paycheck.

We talkin best visuals to date? I'm jealous af. 

Just now, best3444 said:

We talkin best visuals to date? I'm jealous af. 

Idk about that, it’s hard to say with Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk path traced on pc. But the three of them are all hanging out with each other. I’d probably three way tie it. What’s crazy is besides path tracing AW2 also set a bar for geometric detail and 6 weeks later this beats that in that regard. And in an open world game no less.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

Idk about that, it’s hard to say with Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk path traced on pc. But the three of them are all hanging out with each other. I’d probably three way tie it. What’s crazy is besides path tracing AW2 also set a bar for geometric detail and 6 weeks later this beats that in that regard. And in an open world game no less.

Alan Wake 2 on PS5 looks good but not amazing. So the PC version must crush it. For instance, the ocean is static and the water overall is really weak. Alan's character model isn't all that great too. That awesome Avatar looks that good. 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think AW2 looks pretty decent for console from what I’ve seen but the pc version definitely exists in a different generation 

Did you ever try RDR2 on your pc? Does it offer anything special? It looks like a current gen game. Absolutely incredible minus the character models. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Did you ever try RDR2 on your pc? Does it offer anything special? It looks like a current gen game. Absolutely incredible minus the character models. 

You can bump all the settings way up and run it mostly 4k/120fps so it looks really good and a lot better than on console. But I’m not as impressed with it in 2023 as some people still are. I find it’s lighting to be pretty hit and miss compared to what we have on pc today, often looking flat. And yeah, the character models. The geometry is also just way lower than current gen games (of course!) and everything feels a bit flat with not much verticality and buildings etc have a small scale to them. 

It does have an amazing LOD that is still better than pretty much anything not using nanite or similar technology. I find that due to this it looks best when overlooking sweeping vistas, but as soon as I get to St Dennis or anywhere that should be more dense the illusion falls apart for me. It’s still maybe even a top 20 or at least top 30 but it wouldn’t make my top10.

• Thanks 1

Yeah the hidden settings are really only playable on a 4090, at 4k anyway. You need to use dlss performance to hold 60fps or fsr3 frame gen balanced to get a good enough fps so that fsr frame gen actually works well. There isn’t much room for scaling down to other cards there. 

If they add dlss3 fg at some point then a 4080 would probably run it well too.

Getting a 4070 system soon, I'll probably check this game out when it inevitably goes on a deep sale. Reading between the lines on a lot of reviews and opinions, it seems like the kind of game that might develop a cult following over the next few years as hardware improves to be able to showcase it and people get over the presence of a few vestigial UbisoftTM systems. I say this as a deep Ubisoft hater who hasn't purchased one of their shit games since The Division, which I liked well-enough.

Yeah, I got to that part of the weekly last night and it sounds good. Sounds like the 60fps mode fits into the vrr range well and that most importantly the density of the environment remains which is the real standout part. They say unlike other games like AW2 where it feels like the game looks entirely different on pc, the game retains its visual identity on consoles (Id argue the same for Robocop, actually, though this seems to run better) they say it would have been almost hard to believe if it launched in 2020 compared to everything else.

Good stuff.

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, I got to that part of the weekly last night and it sounds good. Sounds like the 60fps mode fits into the vrr range well and that most importantly the density of the environment remains which is the real standout part. They say unlike other games like AW2 where it feels like the game looks entirely different on pc, the game retains its visual identity on consoles (Id argue the same for Robocop, actually, though this seems to run better) they say it would have been almost hard to believe if it launched in 2020 compared to everything else.

Good stuff.

That's great news. I hope it hits gamepass later next year. I don't want to buy it but just check out the visuals. 

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If you say so.  The Xbox holiday bundle in Canada is C$375 -- a Series X is over C$650.

That is a lot of money for a lot of people.

Yea, that is a lot of money for sure. Before posting what I said I just did a quick Google search and it was $350 for S and $450 for X. That's why I said that. That bundle difference is big. 

44 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I honestly don't understand the concept of the Series S? It's cheaper I get that but what real gamer would choose it over the superior X?

Look bro, not everybody has @stepee to buy them cool shit okay? Fuck man, show some genuine understanding and compassion for those losers...I mean less fortunate people.

• Haha 1
  • True 1