April jobs report--not good actually

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So when you essentially force people to return to jobs that require them to leave the home before in school learning is back up and running, who watches the kids?

But millennials are killing the birthrate! These women are just welfare-diggers!

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmmmm women are 55% of the population but have lost the most when it comes to employement... and there is a labor shortage apparently... I wonder if there's a connection :hmm:

Care for children and elderly (especially relevant are those who might have gotten covid, survived, and need care) falls disproportionately on women shame we can't do anything to help these unpaid laborers! Shame!

XPIYGBFP4NHPDKEVORZG3XQITY.png&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Hiring was much weaker than expected in April. Wall Street thinks it’s a blip, but there could be a much deeper re-think going on of what jobs are needed and what workers want to do on a daily basis.

It’s happening on a lot of different levels. At the most basic level, people are still hesitant to return to work until they are fully vaccinated and their children are back in school and daycare full-time. It’s telling that all the job gains in April went to men. The number of women employed or looking for work fell by 64,000, a reminder that childcare issues are still in play.

A Pew Research Center survey early this year found that 66 percent of the unemployed had “seriously considered” changing their field of work, a far greater percentage than during the Great Recession. People who used to work in restaurants or travel are finding higher-paying jobs in warehouses or real estate, for example. Or they want to a job that is more stable and less likely to be exposed to the coronavirus -- or any other deadly virus down the road. Consider that grocery stores shed 49,000 workers in April and nursing care facilities lost nearly 20,000.

Even among those who have jobs, people are rethinking their options. Frontline workers are reporting high levels of burnout, causing some to seek a new career path. There’s also been a wave of retirements as workers over 50 quit because they don’t want to return to teaching, home health care or other frontline jobs. And more affluent Americans say they are retiring early because their retirement portfolios have surged in the past year and the pandemic has taught them that life is short.

The overall expectation is still for hiring to pick up this summer as the economy re-opens fully and more people are vaccinated. But the past year has fundamentally changed the economy and what many Americans want in their working life. This big reassessment — for companies and workers — is going to take awhile to sort out and it could continue to pop up in surprising ways.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:
XPIYGBFP4NHPDKEVORZG3XQITY.png&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Hiring was much weaker than expected in April. Wall Street thinks it’s a blip, but there could be a much deeper re-think going on of what jobs are needed and what workers want to do on a daily basis.

Something that hasn't been talked about that much, that I have seen a lot in my own life, is how many people are retiring early or finally retiring.

I think this is especially prevalent in teaching, but it is happening all over.

Older folks tend to continue working out of habit or a sense of responsibility. How many older folks do you know in your life that have been saying, "I'll probably work for just one more year and then retire". And they have been saying it for 5 years. What the virus did, especially because Trump fostered an environment of not giving a damn about them, is that these older folks were finally pushed off that cliff. And people who would have worked another half a decade telling themselves "just one more year" are out of the workforce. And once they dropped out. Once they are out of the habit. Once they don't feel that responsibility to the kids they are teaching or their fellow workers, they are gone. They ain't coming back. 

I myself stayed at a shitty job because I like a routine. The virus blew up that routine no matter what I do, so I really have no choice but to reevaluate my options.

I think to some extent both of those examples, and some of the stuff listed in your link, are all a part of a similar situation. We all had our lives forcibly turned upside down over the past year. Not only has it motivated people to rethink their options, in many cases it has forced us to because either way there is no routine to go back to. Whatever we do next is going to be different, so might as well try to improve the situation.

29 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Something that hasn't been talked about that much, that I have seen a lot in my own life, is how many people are retiring early or finally retiring.

Older folks tend to continue working out of habit or a sense of responsibility. How many older folks do you know in your life that have been saying, "I'll probably work for just one more year and then retire". And they have been saying it for 5 years. What the virus did, especially because Trump fostered an environment of not giving a damn about them, is that these older folks were finally pushed off that cliff. And people who would have worked another half a decade telling themselves "just one more year" are out of the workforce. And once they dropped out. Once they are out of the habit. Once they don't feel that responsibility to the kids they are teaching or their fellow workers, they are gone. They ain't coming back. 

I myself stayed at a shitty job because I like a routine. The virus blew up that routine no matter what I do, so I really have no choice but to reevaluate my options.

I think to some extent both of those examples, and some of the stuff listed in your link, are all a part of a similar situation. We all had our lives forcibly turned upside down over the past year. Not only has it motivated people to rethink their options, in many cases it has forced us to because either way there is no routine to go back to. Whatever we do next is going to be different, so might as well try to improve the situation.

I can speak that a lot of people at my company that were there for a certain number of years were offered to retire in November.  And yet they haven't hired anyone new to replace them so far.

UI doesn’t have to be more than wages to discourage employment, though I still think the UI issue is overblown and just another way to pit employers against employees

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

A guy i work with and i have known for almost 20 years retired from his career before returning to where i work now. Last year he had some health issues and retired a second time. Just recently he came back again at the age of 77!

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Even among those who have jobs, people are rethinking their options. Frontline workers are reporting high levels of burnout

Dear fucking lord, I want to blow my fucking brains out after every shift these days.

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

Older folks tend to continue working out of habit or a sense of responsibility. How many older folks do you know in your life that have been saying, "I'll probably work for just one more year and then retire". And they have been saying it for 5 years. What the virus did, especially because Trump fostered an environment of not giving a damn about them, is that these older folks were finally pushed off that cliff.

My dad did the opposite. He's been retired for over a decade and suddenly he was having to spend a lot more time at home with his girlfriend. We started doing charity work together a couple days a week, next thing I knew he was working 7 days a week.:lol:

14 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

You know, seeing as I can’t do drugs.

Not with that attitude.

(kidding, I can't either)

One of my roommates was working from home for about 4-5 months, then his work told him "you know, I don't know why we ever had you come into the office anyway, you just work from home now." He realized all he needed for work was a laptop and an internet connection, so he retrofitted his SUV into a camper and went on a 5 month climbing trip.

7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Not with that attitude.

(kidding, I can't either)

One of my roommates was working from home for about 4-5 months, then his work told him "you know, I don't know why we ever had you come into the office anyway, you just work from home now." He realized all he needed for work was a laptop and an internet connection, so he retrofitted his SUV into a camper and went on a 5 month climbing trip.

Unfortunately I can’t trade my kids in for a camper SUV :(

45 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

WFH was awesome for a minute, now it makes me want to abandon my family and go drive 120 mph off a bridge. You know, seeing as I can’t do drugs.

I love it because I don't have to put up the facade that I'm doing work when I'm not doing work

1 hour ago, Uaarkson said:

I'll say this. It might be that I'm in a different place in my life, but I'm far more productive working from home than I was waking up at 5:00 am and driving 80 minutes to Detroit.

You aren't the only one...and I have toddlers running around while I work. I've checked on my time. I realized that even with the kids, it breaks even to being in the office. There are fewer pointless meetings because nobody REALLY likes Zoom. All the time I spend potty training is no different than dealing with folks randomly dropping by because their mouse stopped working when I don't even do that kind of work. Not everyone in IT is tech support. Yeah, I'd rather have to deal with my youngest sit on my lap while I run maintenance on a bunch of servers than the dude down the hall whose complaining about his laptop making weird clicking sounds. At least I can get work done with a two year old hanging on my shoulders pretending I'm the laziest horse in the west.

3 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

I'll say this. It might be that I'm in a different place in my life, but I'm far more productive working from home than I was waking up at 5:00 am and driving 80 minutes to Detroit.

The software developers at my company have also been far more productive since working from home. It’s why the VP of engineering is in no hurry to rule the developers need to go back into the office.