Black Panther 2 = BP: Wakanda Forever. Captain Marvel 2 = The Marvels. And more!

44 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

So pumped. That new Eternals footage looks so good.

Apparently that beach shot contains 0 VFX. I am always surprised at how much VFX is added, even in the most mundane type shots, so that is kind of remarkable.

It is interesting that they are already moving away from the Captain Marvel brand and are making this a reboot of sorts. Even though Captain Marvel was a financial success, it didn’t have much of a cultural impact. You would think the first female led marvel movie would have stick around more than it actually did. Which stinks, really.

9 minutes ago, Komusha said:

It is interesting that they are already moving away from the Captain Marvel brand and are making this a reboot of sorts. Even though Captain Marvel was a financial success, it didn’t have much of a cultural impact. You would think the first female led marvel movie would have stick around more than it actually did. Which stinks, really.

I think Wonder Woman (as both a great film and a more prominent female superhero) made Captain Marvel’s lack of a cultural impact a forgone conclusion. 

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I think Wonder Woman (as both a great film and a more prominent female superhero) made Captain Marvel’s lack of a cultural impact a forgone conclusion. 

Yeah especially since Wonder Woman came out first and, as you said, was the better movie. 

I'm not sure I'd call The Marvels a reboot of Captain Marvel though. Pre-production on it it was probably called Captain Marvel 2, then at some point since it will have all these characters someone probably suggested calling it The Marvels. I don't think they're trying to change, or distance the franchise away from Carol Danvers.

15 hours ago, Chris- said:

I don't agree. It's not like only one female superhero movie can make an impact lol. Most Marvel movies make some sort of cultural impact, and Captain Marvel couldn't even clear that average baseline of impact. The movie made over a billion dollars and was one of the most successful of the first solo Marvel films, yet nobody really talks about it anymore. There are no memes circulating social media, no girls running around with Captain Marvel shirts. Ideally fans were supposed to walk out of the movie in love with the character of Carol Danvers, and even those who generally liked the movie were just sorta fine with her. Even the Ant-Man movies which weren't as successful are well-liked by those who actually see them.

I dunno. I think Captain Marvel is one of the first / only MCU movies not made explicitly for guys, and the discussion of the MCU online is predominantly made up of dudes. Before the movie was review bombed by trolls, it was one of the most anticipated superhero movies expected to come out that year.

Yes, Captain Marvel is no Wonder Woman, but nobody really is, that’s a high hurdle to clear.

I think the effect that trolls had on the movie’s perception cannot be overstated, and I think in general audiences really liked it and have received the character very well. It made more money than BOTH Guardians of the Galaxy movies… but you know, the main character doesn’t get over daddy issues by playing catch, so online dudes don’t talk about it.

I wonder if the chuds had something to do with that since they hate Brie Larson and the whole "girl power" thing. Wonder Woman might have gotten a pass since it was considered part of the "Snyderverse", and more "serious". 

10 minutes ago, Brick said:

I wonder if the chuds had something to do with that since they hate Brie Larson and the whole "girl power" thing. Wonder Woman might have gotten a pass since it was considered part of the "Snyderverse", and more "serious". 

It absolutely did. Captain Marvel made a ton of money and walked away with an A Cinemascore. It was well liked among everyone other than Gamergate-types that hate Brie Larson. Just watch the same thing happen with Aquaman 2 and Amber Heard.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I dunno. I think Captain Marvel is one of the first / only MCU movies not made explicitly for guys, and the discussion of the MCU online is predominantly made up of dudes. Before the movie was review bombed by trolls, it was one of the most anticipated superhero movies expected to come out that year.

Yes, Captain Marvel is no Wonder Woman, but nobody really is, that’s a high hurdle to clear.

I think the effect that trolls had on the movie’s perception cannot be overstated, and I think in general audiences really liked it and have received the character very well. It made more money than BOTH Guardians of the Galaxy movies… but you know, the main character doesn’t get over daddy issues by playing catch, so online dudes don’t talk about it.

WandaVision memes and discussion was widespread and a lot of that discussion was coming from women. That show was HUGE amongst women and queer people. It made an impact in a way that Captain Marvel didn’t. I think you underestimate how many women are into Marvel and it’s not like they aren’t part of the online discourse either. Maybe you’re mostly aware of the male side of pop culture discourse I dunno.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

It absolutely did. Captain Marvel made a ton of money and walked away with an A Cinemascore. It was well liked among everyone other than Gamergate-types that hate Brie Larson. Just watch the same thing happen with Aquaman 2 and Amber Heard.

Just because it made a lot of money and an A CinemaScore doesn’t guarantee that it will stick around in the public consciousness. Avatar made way more money and also had an A CinemaScore, and is a widely accepted as having little cultural impact.

Mad Max Fury Road didn’t do as well as it could have and received a B+ score, yet is still talked about to this day.

28 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Just because it made a lot of money and an A CinemaScore doesn’t guarantee that it will stick around in the public consciousness. Avatar made way more money and also had an A CinemaScore, and is a widely accepted as having little cultural impact.

Mad Max Fury Road didn’t do as well as it could have and received a B+ score, yet is still talked about to this day.

A lot of that comes down to who you're listening to or who do you expect to be talking about these movies. Many movie critics and sites like Reddit are filled with guys and target audiences that Captain Marvel didn't generally target. Awesome fire and glory and fucking heavy metal out a flaming guitar Mad Max totally strikes right at that same target audience and so garners a lot more talk in those same circles.

Bridgerton is the biggest thing Netflix has ever done and there isn't even a thread for the series in this site. Reddit has multiple subreddits for Falcon and the Winter Soldier that are larger than anything for Bridgerton in spite of Bridgerton being watched by nearly 8 time as many people.

3 hours ago, Komusha said:

WandaVision memes and discussion was widespread and a lot of that discussion was coming from women. That show was HUGE amongst women and queer people. It made an impact in a way that Captain Marvel didn’t. I think you underestimate how many women are into Marvel and it’s not like they aren’t part of the online discourse either. Maybe you’re mostly aware of the male side of pop culture discourse I dunno.

I’m not going to pretend I’m intimately connected with lady and queer spaces online and I think there’s little doubt that I’m mostly aware of the cishet online discourse since that’s me. In my limited circle I see just as much chatter about Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel as I do about WandaVision, and the 2 IRL conventions I went to after it came out and before COVID reflected that in the cosplay and merch I saw.

Anyway I don’t really have a point other than to say I think there’s some sampling issues going on if someone’s going to say that a movie that weighs in at #6 at the box office in the whole MCU isn’t influential, especially when the movie and its star are known to be huge targets for online trolls.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

A lot of that comes down to who you're listening to or who do you expect to be talking about these movies. Many movie critics and sites like Reddit are filled with guys and target audiences that Captain Marvel didn't generally target. Awesome fire and glory and fucking heavy metal out a flaming guitar Mad Max totally strikes right at that same target audience and so garners a lot more talk in those same circles.

Bridgerton is the biggest thing Netflix has ever done and there isn't even a thread for the series in this site. Reddit has multiple subreddits for Falcon and the Winter Soldier that are larger than anything for Bridgerton in spite of Bridgerton being watched by nearly 8 time as many people.

This, too. 12 million people watch Blue Bloods every week, 10M more than Mad Men pulled on average in. Romance novels are tremendously popular, etc. Self-selection drives a lot of this.

16 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m not going to pretend I’m intimately connected with lady and queer spaces online and I think there’s little doubt that I’m mostly aware of the cishet online discourse since that’s me. In my limited circle I see just as much chatter about Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel as I do about WandaVision, and the 2 IRL conventions I went to after it came out and before COVID reflected that in the cosplay and merch I saw.

Anyway I don’t really have a point other than to say I think there’s some sampling issues going on if someone’s going to say that a movie that weighs in at #6 at the box office in the whole MCU, especially when the movie and its star are known to be huge targets for online trolls.

This, too. 12 million people watch Blue Bloods every week, 10M more than Mad Men pulled on average in. Romance novels are tremendously popular, etc. Self-selection drives a lot of this.

Some stuff doesn't get attention from sites like this one or in our general circles on social media, but that didn't mean people aren't watching and talking. The biggest TV series from Netflix last year were Bridgerton, The Queen's Gambit, and Emily in Paris.

Quiz time: Who here had watched Netflix's most popular movie last year? It was the Polish 50 Shades-like 365 Days. It beat out the likes of Old Guard, The Social Dilemma, Project Power or even those shitty Adam Sandler movies that I assume Netflix loves because everyone watches them.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Anyway I don’t really have a point other than to say I think there’s some sampling issues going on if someone’s going to say that a movie that weighs in at #6 at the box office in the whole MCU isn’t influential, especially when the movie and its star are known to be huge targets for online trolls.

Yeah but Marvel cares about if nerds discuss this shit or not. We are the ones who drive the hype and buy the merchandise. These genre franchise stuff thrives on the base being invested in it.

Also find it funny that everyone is ignoring my Avatar comparison. Nobody defends that movie when users say it had no cultural staying power, but somehow me saying the same about Captain Marvel isn’t true lol

4 hours ago, Komusha said:

Yeah but Marvel cares about if nerds discuss this shit or not. We are the ones who drive the hype and buy the merchandise. These genre franchise stuff thrives on the base being invested in it.

Also find it funny that everyone is ignoring my Avatar comparison. Nobody defends that movie when users say it had no cultural staying power, but somehow me saying the same about Captain Marvel isn’t true lol

Because Avatar is actually more popular than you might think it is. Disney spent hundreds of millions of dollars building Pandora...before they bought Fox. There are four sequels currently in production. Do you think the Avatar sequels are going to flops at the box office? I doubt they'll do as well as the original, but you can't be arguing that nobody is interested in watching these because there aren't enough memes for them out there or something, right?

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Is this site or the site it references reputable? I haven't heard of either.

I just assume every random unknown site carrying some random negative rumor that's critical of like Brie Larson, Amber Heard, or whatever other actress alt right nerds love hating is bullshit.

Look at their story and Captain Marvel maybe making an appearance in Thor.

captainmarvelbrielarson-1.jpg
WWW.GIANTFREAKINROBOT.COM

Brie Larson has become the centerpiece of the next phase of Marvel’s entertainment universe. Iron Man and Captain America are about to pass the Avengers torch to Captain Marvel and probably Spider-Man...

Despite a lot of disagreement among fans about whether or not she’s actually any good at playing Captain Marvel, Brie Larson has become the centerpiece of the next phase of Marvel’s entertainment universe.

That's a hell of a first sentence.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Is this site or the site it references reputable? I haven't heard of either.

I've seen it before but its a fansite. Anyway despite the headline, the article actually DEFENDS Brie Larson and is making the same point a lot of you guys are making about her and Captain Marvel. 

As Marvel Cinematic Universe fans went wild over the implications of Captain Marvel 2 being rebranded as The Marvels, we wrote that you could bet your bottom dollar on rumors making the rounds shortly afterwards that would claim the decision was made due to internal concerns over star Brie Larson.

Lo and behold, Giant Freakin Robot is now reporting that the title of Carol Danvers’ second solo outing was changed because Marvel Studios didn’t want to place the focus solely on a figure that wasn’t well received by a small and yet very vocal minority who tried to downvote the first installment into oblivion at every opportunity. According to the outlet, “the powers-that-be at Marvel Studios did not feel that she “delivered” in the first one on her own.”

Even if we were to overlook the fact that Captain Marvel is the second highest-grossing solo debut for any Marvel Cinematic Universe superhero behind only Black Panther, and the fifth biggest-earner in the franchise’s history that wasn’t an Avengers crossover, Larson also voiced her desire years ago to team up with Ms. Marvel in a sequel.

Calling it Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel would be a little too on the nose, though, and now that Teyonah Parris’ Monica Rambeau is established in the MCU as well, it makes perfect sense to title it The Marvels when we’re getting three characters to have used variations on that moniker in the comic books fight alongside each other against a common enemy.

Did Marvel call Scott Lang’s solo sequel Ant-Man and the Wasp because they didn’t think Paul Rudd was popular enough to headline a second standalone film without backup? Of course not, but for some reason, whatever Brie Larson does in the MCU invites intense scrutiny, so it’s hardly surprising that speculation would begin shortly after The Marvels removed her character’s name from the title.