Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah no one is saying anything even CLOSE to that. 

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah fuck them... 

Unless words magically don't mean anything anymore, "they got their videos taken down by DMCA" followed by "yeah fuck them" implies very direct support of videos being taken down.

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah fuck them... I unsubscribed a youtuber I had JUST subscribed to because he spoiled a plot point to a comic I hadn't read yet in thumbnail and TITLE to his video. The book in question had only been out for a couple of HOURS.

Judging by the videos you've posted in this thread I can see why. You're playing with fire on your youtube feed. :p

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Judging by the videos you've posted in this thread I can see why. You're playing with fire on your youtube feed. :p

Most of the videos I get don't spoil shit in the titles. This dude spoiled an ongoing mystery in the title to his video... like it was blatant. It was too bad because I had just discovered his channel and liked his content but it if that's how he does things I'm good. I don;t get a lot of game spoilers in my feed though. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Most of the videos I get don't spoil shit in the titles. This dude spoiled an ongoing mystery in the title to his video... like it was blatant. It was too bad because I had just discovered his channel and liked his content but it if that's how he does things I'm good. I don;t get a lot of game spoilers in my feed though. 

Follow my channel. I won't spoil anything.

I also probably won't play anything you're interested in. :p

13 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

If someone comes up and spoils a movie to you while you're in line for that movie, you can whoop their ass

oh can we now? I didn’t realize physical violence was an acceptable method of remediation and to prevent them from ruining the experience for others. That does seem like a much more rational and measured response to this kind of situation rather than a pre-release DMA strike. 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I spent years meditating at a mountain temple, in complete silence, while sitting on a bed of nails. I came away stronger, better, in desperate need of a tetanus shot... and a complete indifference towards spoilers. It can be learned. You CAN be better. :p

Plausibly for a large set of narratives, spoilers won't matter. But if part of the designed narrative experience is for you to be trying to figure things out from the same information the characters have, that experience is completely broken by spoilers. I suppose you can just say you don't enjoy the experience of trying to figure things out with the characters, but there is nothing wrong with liking that and spoilers fuck it.

For games this is even worse. There's not many games where your choices *actually* matter (even though all PR says they always do), but for example, I've made choices in BG3 based on the limited information I have, and that specific experience is fucked if someone tells me how things ultimately unfold. Same thing in Witcher 3. Obviously those games have other things going for them that even warrants replays, but that specific experience requires no spoilers.

44 minutes ago, legend said:

Plausibly for a large set of narratives, spoilers won't matter. But if part of the designed narrative experience is for you to be trying to figure things out from the same information the characters have, that experience is completely broken by spoilers. I suppose you can just say you don't enjoy the experience of trying to figure things out with the characters, but there is nothing wrong with liking that and spoilers fuck it.

For games this is even worse. There's not many games where your choices *actually* matter (even though all PR says they always do), but for example, I've made choices in BG3 based on the limited information I have, and that specific experience is fucked if someone tells me how things ultimately unfold. Same thing in Witcher 3. Obviously those games have other things going for them that even warrants replays, but that specific experience requires no spoilers.

I will say in my case personally…

I prefer to experience those things non-spoiled it given a choice and I don’t ever seek spoilers out. I also wouldn’t pretend that the experience of seeing something like The Matrix is “the same” if you know the hook going into it compared to having no idea what’s going to happen. I genuinely DO enjoy mysteries and trying to figure stuff out as I’m watching, reading, playing, whatever.

That said, I find that any effort taken to avoid spoilers is (again, for me) effort wasted. Especially on the internet where you’re one thumbnail, swipe, botched tag, different spoiler threshold, etc., away from having something spoiled. I’ve also found that personally I usually enjoy the rewatch or reread more than the initial one since I get to pay more attention to the framing as opposed to thinking about it.

Perhaps counterintuitively I sometimes / often feel this way MORE about games than non-interactive media. If I get to the end of a shitty mystery movie I’m out a couple hours and possibly no cash, assuming it’s on Netflix or whatever. At the end of Heavy Rain I was out 10 hours, $60 poorer, I wanted to put my PS3 into a blender, and I actively wish someone had spoiled that for me. :p  Or say… the way that the Padan Fain arc ended in The Wheel of Time books… I spent a TON of time thinking about that fucking guy over the span of LITERAL YEARS and I really wish someone could have told me to not bother.

TLDR… my time on the internet became more enjoyable when I decided to not to modify my behavior to avoid spoilers, trained myself to not give a shit, and I’ve found that it’s had little to no net impact on my media enjoyment.

• Halal 1

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Bruh, hanging out on YouTube and hoping not to run into spoilers is like a female who attends Bill Cosby's cocktail party and doesn't keep an eye on her drink.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I will say in my case personally…

TLDR… my time on the internet became more enjoyable when I decided to not to modify my behavior to avoid spoilers, trained myself to not give a shit, and I’ve found that it’s had little to no net impact on my media enjoyment.

Or something I suggested in another thread which someone said they are incapable of doing but it's quite easy for me, just forget about it.

It's hard enough to remember a movie / game on your own. If someone blurts out a spoiler for something I haven't seen I generally forget about it by the time I see it.

I wanted to bring up a recent example but I forgot what it was. :p I think it was a game spoiler or something.

Listening to those end of the year deliberations with spoiler warnings, it's like in one ear and out the other.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Sadly I doubt it. I'm sure half my cpu will just be chilling. 

Besides 30fps on console, AMD sponsored means intentionally poor cpu usage so that they can say the numbers are close to nvidia’s (since the cpu is the bottleneck) and on the cpu end their flagship right now is the 8 core 7800x3D sooooooooo

You'll take 20% usage and you’ll like it. 

• Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Besides 30fps on console, AMD sponsored means intentionally poor cpu usage so that they can say the numbers are close to nvidia’s (since the cpu is the bottleneck) and on the cpu end their flagship right now is the 8 core 7800x3D sooooooooo

You'll take 20% usage and you’ll like it. 

8 cores for gaming and 8 cores to watch the other 8 cores...sounds like I got a Union PC! 

• Guillotine 1
  • Hype 1

10 hours ago, Ominous said:

8 cores for gaming and 8 cores to watch the other 8 cores...sounds like I got a Union PC! 

They deserve a break since the master cpu refuses to pay for fans, heatsinks, & thermal paste. All while it sits around on a luxury waterblock hoarding all of the data output the union cpus produce.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
4a79075eefef1bed9b91746f2ddcf88c.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

The man who uploaded the first 45 minutes of Bethesda's spacefaring RPG went on a wild social media spree

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Daaaamn bruh

@best3444buy me a bootleg copy and that way you’ll only have to purchase me the actual Xbox series X system. I’m saving you $70!!!!!!!

• Haha 1