Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

1 minute ago, Dexterryu said:

After watching/reading many of the reviews... this is a Bethesda game through and through. I know a ton of people are excited about that but I'm pretty sure it means this game is definitely not for me despite being a bit of a space nerd.

Not every game is for everyone. Hell, I'm currently on my second playthrough of RDR2 which I consider one of the greatest videogames ever and everyone on this forum absolutely despises it. If you don't like it that's completely fine. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'll buy it tomorrow morning before work and have it download. Thanks for that information.

You have gamepass? You can pre-download it now.

Just now, best3444 said:

I'm currently on my second playthrough of RDR2 which I consider one of the greatest videogames ever and everyone on this forum absolutely despises i

One of the best games I ever played as well :shrug:

While my interest is piqued hearing about good(ish?) gameplay and one person even saying it can be scary (love me space spookiness) I feel like a shitton of Tweets about the game are trying really hard to cushion opinions. "I'M STILL PLAYING IT AND I REALLY LIKE IT GUYS, but [damning statement]"

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

While my interest is piqued hearing about good(ish?) gameplay and one person even saying it can be scary (love me space spookiness) I feel like a shitton of Tweets about the game are trying really hard to cushion opinions. "I'M STILL PLAYING IT AND I REALLY LIKE IT GUYS, but [damning statement]"

I'm not reading any reviews or watching them either. I'm going in blind and and I know for a fact I'll love it. Fuck reviews and the punks online trying to ruin the experience. I'm ignoring everything. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I'm not reading any reviews or watching them either. I'm going in blind and and I know for a fact I'll love it. Fuck reviews and the punks online trying to ruin the experience. I'm ignoring everything. 

But you're not ignoring me! Spoilers: There's a Dune planet but there's no people or worms! Also no dunes!

One of the greatest things about Gamepass is there is literally no reason to even look at a single review for titles on it. Just download whatever looks at all interesting and give it a go. I’ve played so many more games because of this that I would otherwise never have given a second thought to.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The surprises to me were in how nearly everyone encountered very few bugs and the overall consensus on the combat was positive. I had no expectations that the game would be less buggy than previous BSG games and I had hopes but no expectations that the combat would be solid.

From when the first trailer dropped I said the combat looked good, no one believed me, you should have opened up your eyes!

32 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

After watching/reading many of the reviews... this is a Bethesda game through and through. I know a ton of people are excited about that but I'm pretty sure it means this game is definitely not for me despite being a bit of a space nerd.

It still could be for you. I don’t like Fallout games, but really like Elder Scrolls games. If Bethesda made a Cowboy Western game I’d probably skip that. Sometimes it just really depends on what the setting and theme is with a Bethesda game. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It still could be for you. I don’t like Fallout games, but really like Elder Scrolls games. If Bethesda made a Cowboy Western game I’d probably skip that. Sometimes it just really depends on what the setting and theme is with a Bethesda game. 

That's possible. Skyrim was OK-ish for me. Didn't care for Fallout either. I think the main issue with Bethesda games is that they build worlds but skip the narrative world building... That's the difference between Witcher 3/Mass Effect/Dragon Age Origins/Elden Ring vs Skyrim. Those worlds have lore, history, etc... that make them a world vs a map.

Where I may become interested in Starfield is when it's modded up to minimize some of the tedium (IGN called out the typically clunky bethesda inventory) or there is the inevitable gold/GoTY version that comes out.

3 hours ago, Firewithin said:

PC perf seems to be all over the place right now.  some said they barely got 60fps/1080 on a 3080 while some have had benchmarks looking OK?  more 2023 gaming fuckery lol

im hoping i get lucky like i did with jedi knight and no problems

edit:  DF please save us

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Likely to be a cpu bottleneck lurking with this one, people are still struggling with identifying and reporting that.

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

if it’s CPU limited, they may have a 3080, but could have a relatively weaker CPU bottlenecking. 

Per Digital Foundry's John Linneman:

Oh and regarding the PC version - it's very CPU heavy, didn't ship with DLSS and lacks an FOV slider, which is a bummer. It runs well on my very powerful PC but the jury is out on less capable machines (I don't have one to test on).

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

• Thanks 1

From a reviewer on resetera it sounds like they were getting mostly 90fps maxed out fsr quality on a 4090/13900k so should be no problem hitting 4k/120 in a week or so whenever the mod comes out! 

Y’all gonna have to subscribe yourself for this one tho if you want that sweet sweet dlss3 goodness as they have authentication for the mod now!

Just now, stepee said:

From a reviewer on resetera it sounds like they were getting mostly 90fps maxed out fsr quality on a 4090/13900k so should be no problem hitting 4k/120 in a week or so whenever the mod comes out! 

Y’all gonna have to subscribe yourself for this one tho if you want that sweet sweet dlss3 goodness as they have authentication for the mod now!

Let me know how the laptop handles it. 

1 minute ago, Brian said:

Let me know how the laptop handles it. 

I will once I get back from vacation after next week (i’m not paying for early access and leave on the 6th!) the dlss3 mod will obviously work there as well so I assume it’ll be 100fpsish with dlss balanced or something.

9 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

You can always change FoV with a console command or by editing the configuration file. Shouldn't need to resort to that but it's a very simple fix 

While that's usually the case, I'm not sure if that would be possible with the Game Pass version as those files tend to be somewhat non-standard or you simply can't access the .ini file.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

The modder was given a review copy, the mod will probably be out tonight or tomorrow 

• Hype 1

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

While that's usually the case, I'm not sure if that would be possible with the Game Pass version as those files tend to be somewhat non-standard or you simply can't access the .ini file.

This hasn’t been so bad since Ms changed the file system requirements to allow modding. I bet you can do that here.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I know everyone thinks reviews are lame (yet we post them with every new release) but is anyone not getting this because it's not scoring in the 90s?

I mean a 7 from IGN and GameSpot is atrocious for such a gigantic release for MS.

I'm not getting it because these "Bethesda-style" games are a cure for insomnia for me.  I just don't find them to be compelling experiences.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm not getting it because these "Bethesda-style" games are a cure for insomnia for me.  I just don't find them to be compelling experiences.

Well apparently you're on point with Starfield, too. I hope I enjoy it it because $100 is steep for me. 

Since it’s on gamepass, it would be pretty silly to skip this one for not being a 90+meta

Im sure people who want FO/Skyrim in space will get just that and love it. I think it’s just the type of game it is, without having reinvented itself, no longer scores as much critically as it did back when FO3/Skyrim came out in the 360 era.