Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (03 May 2024) - Drones now kill more soldiers than artillery or bullets

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Since Putin's name is in cyrillic and not latin, it's transliterated differently in different languages. In English it's Putin, in French it's Poutine.

I saw something a month or two ago about "should we change the name of the food?" 

EN.HROMADSKE.UA

A blonde girl wearing a red poppies wreath, Ukrainian costume, necklace, and holding the bandura in her hands — that is how 17-year-old Maria Vdovychenko looked at pre-war photos. Until recently, she lived with her family in Mariupol, was the president of the school, studied bandura, and visited church with her parents.

Everyone should read this.

I don't remember the exact date, but one morning, we were all lying in the same room and heard everything shaking in the apartment, something falling in the next room. At first, we heard silence, it seemed like something was falling, and then the blast took everything down — the upper floors of the building folded like a house of cards. Fragments of concrete, furniture, roof, and glass were falling. People were screaming everywhere.

With ice, glass, noise, and gunfire all around us, we were running and hoping there would be a staircase to the basement and that a concrete slab would not crush us. 

Finally, a man opened the door and said he couldn't let us in because there were already many people in the basement, and there was no extra space. My father didn't listen, he pushed him away, and we went in.

We saw different horrors in the basement. People were running out of food, and it turned them into beasts. They were ready to kill each other for a sip of water. 

There was no food to cook, we extracted water from ice and snow. 

People quarreled among themselves and tried to kick someone out of the basement so that there was one less mouth to feed. There was no kindness, only darkness, we could feel the smell of death.

It lasted for 12 days.

I asked God to die quickly without witnessing the deaths of my relatives and my helplessness towards their suffering. 

They stopped us at a checkpoint and asked our place of registration. "Mariupol? Go to the right." Then, the "DPR" military told to go "down." We started moving, and they just started shooting at cars and people.

They took my passport and saw that I was 17. They didn't like me, I looked too young, and they were looking for some young girls. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I saw something a month or two ago about "should we change the name of the food?" 

One of the restaurants claiming to have invent it did change it and another had a one that was called "La Vladimir" but was changed to "La Volodymyr". The first is silly since it's the punishing food rather than the person. The best option would be to switch to the English spelling (the o is not important, the e on the end is what has to go) and then pronounce that the French way. Without the e it's pronounced the same in French as the French word putain.

Is it a fairly new thing to have Countries basically issuing press releases about the weapons they are giving to opposition countries during the cold war? One of my favorite films is Charlie Wilson's War and it seemed like we had to jump through hoops to ensure that any weapons we gave supplied the Afghans in their war against Russia could not be traced back to us. Now, we make Twitter posts about what we're giving Ukraine. 

It just seems weird. But then again, maybe I'm wrong and these things have always been highly publicized. 

Yet another reason to despise crypto:

QJ5P2FLF75OF3EB6M5QHUG2SY4.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

In April 2021, Russia's financial intelligence unit met in Moscow with the regional head of Binance, the world's largest crypto exchange. The Russians wanted Binance to agree to hand over client...

• Guillotine 2

23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yet another reason to despise crypto:

QJ5P2FLF75OF3EB6M5QHUG2SY4.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

In April 2021, Russia's financial intelligence unit met in Moscow with the regional head of Binance, the world's largest crypto exchange. The Russians wanted Binance to agree to hand over client...

But on the other side crypto got a lot of donations quickly to Ukraine. 

but yes, still sucks 

ISW analysis for 22 April 2022:

WWW.UNDERSTANDINGWAR.ORG

A briefing by the Russian Deputy Commander of the Central Military District on April 22 reiterated standing Russian objectives in eastern and southern Ukraine and did not announce any new operations. Deputy Commander of the Central Military District

A briefing by the Russian Deputy Commander of the Central Military District on April 22 reiterated standing Russian objectives in eastern and southern Ukraine and did not announce any new operations. Deputy Commander of the Central Military District Rustam Minnekaev gave a speech to the annual meeting of the Union of Defense Industries on April 22 that has been misinterpreted as the announcement of a new Russian campaign.[1] Minnekaev said Russian forces began a new phase of the war two days ago, an unsurprising confirmation of the new phase of the Russian offensive announced by both Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Ukrainian officials on April 19.[2] He stated the primary objective of Russian forces is to capture the entirety of the Donbas region and southern Ukraine to provide a land bridge to Crimea; as ISW has previously assessed, Russian forces seek to capture the entirety of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts and retain control of the Kherson region.

Minnekaev stated that Russian control of southern Ukraine provides Russia a future capability to conduct an offensive toward Transnistria, rather than announcing an imminent Russian offensive toward Moldova. Minnekaev said Russian control of southern Ukraine will provide “another way out to Transnistria,” the illegally Russian-occupied strip of territory in Moldova, where he falsely claimed ”there are also facts of oppression of the Russian-speaking population.” We do not read this as a statement of intent to conduct a major offensive operation toward Moldova. An offensive toward Moldova would likely have been phrased around securing a “land corridor” [сухопутный коридор] to Moldova, much like the Russian land corridor to Crimea. Even if Russian forces did seek to resume major offensive operations toward Mykolaiv and on to Odesa, they are highly unlikely to have the capability to do so.

Key Takeaways

• A briefing by the Deputy Commander of the Central Military District restated the standing Russian objectives in the current phase of the war: capturing the entirety of the Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts and defending Russian positions in southern Ukraine against Ukrainian counterattacks.
  • Ongoing purges of Russian general officers for failures in Ukraine will likely further degrade Russian command and control.
  • Russian forces seek to starve out the remaining defenders and civilians in Mariupol’s Azovstal Steel Plant and are unlikely to allow trapped civilians to leave.
  • Russian forces conducted localized attacks and reconnoitered Ukrainian positions south of Izyum and did not make any advances.
  • Russian forces secured minor gains in continuing daily attacks on the line of contact in eastern Ukraine.
  • The Kremlin is setting conditions to create proxy republics in Zaporizhia and Kherson oblasts to cement Russian control over these regions and conscript Ukrainian manpower.

Ukrainian Military Intelligence reported on April 22 that several Russian officers have been fired or imprisoned for failures in Ukraine.[3] The Main Intelligence Directorate (GUR) reported that Russian authorities arrested the Commander of the Black Sea Fleet Admiral Osipov and are investigating Black Sea Fleet Chief of Staff Vice Admiral S. Pinchuk, likely for the loss of the Moskva. The GUR additionally reported the commander of the 6th CAA, the commander and deputy commander of the 1st Guards Tank Army, and the commander of the 22nd Army Corps have all been removed from their posts for unsatisfactory performance. Purges of Russian officers are unlikely to improve Russian capabilities, as replacement commanders will likely be less experienced and under intense pressure to achieve likely unreasonable objectives set by the Kremlin.

DraftUkraineCoTApril22,2022.png