I mean, I know it's Nintendo, but man I still can't believe I can't get MK8 Deluxe and Fire Emblem Three Houses for 30 bucks each.

Bacon

9 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

On a closed platform, does the consumer have a right to a discount? Especially when there’s no competition driving one.

No.  But big discounts traditionally happen when sales momentum slows to a crawl.  And it’s hard for me to believe that Astral Chain is still flying off shelves, whereas Mario & Rabbid was not.  Ubisoft probably negotiated that they control the pricing, to generate as much revenue as they can.

What Nintendo is doing is similar to their approach to the Wii U.  It doesn’t matter if the console sells or not.  They want their published games to appear evergreen at the expense of a more balanced approach.

31 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They want their published games to appear evergreen at the expense of a more balanced approach.

Is that really the reason why their games go on sale for "only" 30% off at times? Just to appear evergreen? 

I guess maybe to casual gamers that might be true, but until they hit that magic $30 price tag, they aren't going to get say, @Bacon 's money. I mean,  I guess they already got it, since he bought it on Wii U. Even though that's technically a different game. Different mechanics, new features, a COMPLETELY different (and better!) Battle Mode, it's portable for the first time ever, and all the previous DLC (that one would have had to pay for out of pocket) is included. 

But the "hardcore" gamers will refuse to buy it regardless because they feel they aren't getting the best deal. I suppose there are more casual gamers out there buying the game for the first time, so Nintendo doesn't have to lower the price.

Unless they are just now buying a Switch, and are getting the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe bundle in which case the get the game for free. 

33 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Is that really the reason why their games go on sale for "only" 30% off at times? Just to appear evergreen? 

I guess maybe to casual gamers that might be true, but until they hit that magic $30 price tag, they aren't going to get say, @Bacon 's money. I mean,  I guess they already got it, since he bought it on Wii U. Even though that's technically a different game. Different mechanics, new features, a COMPLETELY different (and better!) Battle Mode, it's portable for the first time ever, and all the previous DLC (that one would have had to pay for out of pocket) is included. 

But the "hardcore" gamers will refuse to buy it regardless because they feel they aren't getting the best deal. I suppose there are more casual gamers out there buying the game for the first time, so Nintendo doesn't have to lower the price.

Unless they are just now buying a Switch, and are getting the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe bundle in which case the get the game for free. 

From me personally, they’ve lost plenty of money.  I think I’ve bought two games, one of which was on sale (links awakening).  Anytime it’s a multi platform game Nintendo will never see my money for various reasons but mostly $$$.  Anytime I feel like biting at a Nintendo game I end up finding something on ps4 for far cheaper so I never impulse buy from Nintendo.  I impulse buy all the time when ps4 has a sale

they don’t even have to be near the cheapest price. I would buy from them just to have something portable and pay a bit extra but when I can get the game for $15-20 bucks vs their 60-80 my brain just won’t do it

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

What game can you get for $15 on PS4 but costs $80 on Switch?

First I’m in Canada so 80 is the standard.  But I’m sort of exaggerating but I bought immortals when it came out and it was way cheaper on the ps4.  I guess I mean not the same games but basically I can either get a game even older than time for $80 or find a newish game on sale for around $20 so it’s hard to buy that old Nintendo game

15 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

First I’m in Canada so 80 is the standard.  But I’m sort of exaggerating but I bought immortals when it came out and it was way cheaper on the ps4.  I guess I mean not the same games but basically I can either get a game even older than time for $80 or find a newish game on sale for around $20 so it’s hard to buy that old Nintendo game

So are PS5/XboxSX games $90 over there? They are $70 in the U.S. so I assume the price hike is the same.

I bought Immortals on Switch for around $20 when it was on sale last year (or earlier this year, forget exactly when). FWIW 

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

… But the "hardcore" gamers will refuse to buy it regardless because they feel they aren't getting the best deal. I suppose there are more casual gamers out there buying the game for the first time, so Nintendo doesn't have to lower the price.

They never discounted games well on the Wii U either.  Which makes me think it has less to do with sales, more to do with branding and appearances.

A 30% discount for games 1.5+ years old is not standard practice in this industry.  Occasionally you’ll see games that kept selling stay at their MSRP, like GTA.  Nintendo themselves used to operate that way.  Mainly the biggest deal stuff would stay high priced for 1-2 years or so.  But most everything dropped big eventually.

Nowadays, they’ll sell even niche stuff at $60 for years, and won’t cut any further than 30% during sales (often less).  Player’s Choice/Nintendo Selects are dead.  

Nintendo’s changed.  Have you noticed?

I don’t like it, but I can understand games like BotW and Mario Odyssey not dropping. Those are still two of the marquee, “must buy” Switch games for anyone buying the system now. But like crispy said, is Astral Chain still hanging out on the best sellers list? Luigi’s Mansion 3 still raking in the dough? Splatoon 2, a 4-year old game that relies on multiplayer, should probably be $20 at the most, but nope, full $60. 

I won’t pretend to understand business better than the heads of Nintendo, but it feels needlessly stubborn at this point. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yes, they've changed but I think in a different way than you guys perceive them. 

But I typically buy games at (physical) launch so I don't pay too much attention to sales and whatnot.

I don’t think them not doing Nintendo Selects/Player’s Choice is a matter of perception.  It’s a simple fact that they used to discount deeper, percentage-wise.

Nintendo releases too many games that I have (some) interest in for me to pay full price for everything.  I will for some things, but it’s not feasible across the board.  It’s always been that way.

If you are able to buy whatever you want new, you’re probably in the minority.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

I don’t think them not doing Nintendo Selects/Player’s Choice is a matter of perception.  It’s a simple fact that they used to discount deeper, percentage-wise.

Nintendo releases too many games that I have (some) interest in for me to pay full price for everything.  I will for some things, but it’s not feasible across the board.  It’s always been that way.

If you are able to buy whatever you want new, you’re probably in the minority.

I don't know if Nintendo Selects are dead. It took over 5 years for the 3DS games to get that treatment. Switch is 5 years old now, so I wouldn't be surprised if that branding (and discounts!) show up sooner or later. But the fact that they do discounts more often via eShop sales, plus whatever my.nintendo offers, I think it's not as bad as some of you are making it out to be. 

Or maybe I'm just drinking the Kool-Aid! Who is to say.

But yeah, I typically buy stuff at launch if I want it. I go for Collector's Editions, too. I guess I'm the 1%. 

I remember I downloaded Color Splash after it went on sale via my.nintendo. Did the same for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. They actual had some decent sales through that rewards system.

Seems they have kinda backed off on that since (though now feature some nifty physical rewards) and most sales are just on the eShop itself. Which is, admittedly, much easier and convenient. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

@Bacon

How about $35 for FE 3H?

Fire-Emblem-Three-Houses
WWW.GAMESTOP.COM

Buy Fire Emblem: Three Houses by Nintendo for Nintendo Switch at GameStop. Find release dates, customer reviews, previews, and more.

akrales_171025_2091_0010.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Stock up on great games.

@Bacon

Said $30, *not* $35! It's a hard number, he ain't budging.

On 3/28/2021 at 7:27 PM, Bacon said:

Or $60 for both. Like, come on man. Even used shit is going for $40+ reaching 50 which is the price I can get them for new. Just drop the price plz. 

3 hours ago, jaethos said:

I got Fire Emblem for $30 last Black Friday. I don't have a Switch though, so I haven't played it. I was hoping for a Switch pro, but all we're getting is the oled, so I'm still not going to play it.

Pizza+Guy.jpg

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I'm with the OP on MKart8 as I've been wanting to replace that title now for 3 years. I've been stupidly waiting to see it on sale for 29.99 before I pick it up again, this is why I'm a Digital fan now after the fire and was Pro physical media before. The game needs to be in my collection because of the amount of Kids, grandkids we have it's the perfect game for everyone really, but I'm still gonna wait, stupidly like I said...

26 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I'm with the OP on MKart8 as I've been wanting to replace that title now for 3 years. I've been stupidly waiting to see it on sale for 29.99 before I pick it up again, this is why I'm a Digital fan now after the fire and was Pro physical media before. The game needs to be in my collection because of the amount of Kids, grandkids we have it's the perfect game for everyone really, but I'm still gonna wait, stupidly like I said...

It does suck since it's a game from the wii u era. I finally found my cart thought I lost it. Really didn't want to buy it for the 3rd time especially at 60 dollars.