I mean, I know it's Nintendo, but man I still can't believe I can't get MK8 Deluxe and Fire Emblem Three Houses for 30 bucks each.

Bacon

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

It’s still the cheapest console to buy right now. There’s an even less expensive version if you want (Switch Lite). 

Look at Playstation by comparison. Still expensive, and your only other choice is an even MORE expensive version (PS4 Pro or PS5). That’s what Sony does. 

At this point, PS4 should be $149.99, max. 

I don't care about it being cheap, and you're being absurd if you're saying switch should be more expensive than ps4.

22 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I don't care about it being cheap, and you're being absurd if you're saying switch should be more expensive than ps4.

Switch is a newer system, Sony’s been peddling the PS4 for the better part of the decade. And it’s successor is already out on the market. 

PS4’s should absolutely be dirt cheap by now! Making them cost what they are selling for now is just cash grabbing.

On 6/18/2021 at 9:11 PM, Bacon said:

Neither FE or MK8 are 30 bucks in this sale 

On 3/28/2021 at 8:58 PM, Bacon said:

Yeah, but I already owned MK8 on the wii u. I refuse to pay for it at full price twice. I don't even want to pay 30 for it. And I would regret buying FE at 60, since I already waited this long. That is defeat and it won't happen. Plus, I am not a actually a big fan of FE. I like it, but I only like it at 30-40 bucks. 

Friday Bye Felicia GIF

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Switch is a newer system, Sony’s been peddling the PS4 for the better part of the decade. And it’s successor is already out on the market. 

PS4’s should absolutely be dirt cheap by now! Making them cost what they are selling for now is just cash grabbing.

Switch's tech was a couple of years old when kt released. It's only newer in the date it released. PS4 is still more powerful tech...

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Switch's tech was a couple of years old when kt released. It's only newer in the date it released. PS4 is still more powerful tech...

I think Switch’s stuff was modern when it was developed. But it’s mobile tech. *I think.* Someone might have to fact check me on that, but I remember reading something about how Switch will use “modern chips” whatever that means.

PS4’s internals are old now. Sony can definitely afford a price drop. But they won’t since people will just keep buying the thing. 

35 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

In a thread about Nintendo making a crash grab very bold to try to turn it around on Sony.

Also, all the companies are here to grab cash.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I think Switch’s stuff was modern when it was developed. But it’s mobile tech. *I think.* Someone might have to fact check me on that, but I remember reading something about how Switch will use “modern chips” whatever that means.

PS4’s internals are old now. Sony can definitely afford a price drop. But they won’t since people will just keep buying the thing. 

It is using 4x Arm Cortex-A57 cores -- which were originally launched in 2012.

• Thanks 1

Just looking at when a chip design is first released doesn’t tell the full story.  The Tegra X1 itself, which nigh identical to what Switch uses, didn’t even exist until 2015.

In any case, there’s no question the Switch wasn’t cutting edge when it launched (many tablets were far better at the time).  But given Nintendo’s history with portables, and the additional costs associated with its particular form factor, I wouldn’t say it was under engineered for the price.

Consider that Nintendo had to release an upgraded version of the 3DS just to run a Wii game port (Xenoblade).  Meanwhile, Switch ports of Wii U games universally run better.  The latter console didn’t even get to live out a full lifecycle.

Certainly the Switch was a step in a positive direction hardware-wise.  I think we’ll see that trend continue with what eventually comes next, since we know it’s more custom and will leverage DLSS.

Be down on Nintendo for not releasing a Switch Pro (yet).  Or for designing games of their own that overshot the hardware.  But for the launch specs?  No, they didn’t fuck up in any major sense.  

Egg on their face would have been if BotW ran better on Wii U, if UE4 didn’t support it, etc.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It is using 4x Arm Cortex-A57 cores -- which were originally launched in 2012.

Is that the NVIDIA Tegra...whatever? It should be noted that Switch’s internals are custom made for the hardware as well. Pretty sure they aren’t using the same stuff. At least for the...processor? I think?

I’m not good at tech-speak, lol. :p 

19 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Just looking at when a chip design is first released doesn’t tell the full story.  The Tegra X1 itself, which nigh identical to what Switch uses, didn’t even exist until 2015.

In any case, there’s no question the Switch wasn’t cutting edge when it launched (many tablets were far better at the time).  But given Nintendo’s history with portables, and the additional costs associated with its particular form factor, I wouldn’t say it was under engineered for the price.

Consider that Nintendo had to release an upgraded version of the 3DS just to run a Wii game port (Xenoblade).  Meanwhile, Switch ports of Wii U games universally run better.  The latter console didn’t even get to live out a full lifecycle.

Certainly the Switch was a step in a positive direction hardware-wise.  I think we’ll see that trend continue with what eventually comes next, since we know it’s more custom and will leverage DLSS.

Be down on Nintendo for not releasing a Switch Pro (yet).  Or for designing games of their own that overshot the hardware.  But for the launch specs?  No, they didn’t fuck up in any major sense.  

Egg on their face would have been if BotW ran better on Wii U, if UE4 didn’t support it, etc.

BotW had framerate problems day 1, so yes, there was a problem with launch specs.

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

BotW had framerate problems day 1, so yes, there was a problem with launch specs.

You're going to get a lot if upvotes from me in this thread. You are saying what I want to say but in a less negative tone that I would. If I said what I really thought of Nintendo I'd be banned lol.

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You're going to get a lot if upvotes from me in this thread. You are saying what I want to say but in a less negative tone that I would. If I said what I really thought of Nintendo I'd be banned lol.

Do people ever get banned on this board?

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Just now, best3444 said:

I was obviously kidding. My opinion on Nintendo isn't good to put it lightly. Moving on.

fuck you aaron taylor-johnson GIF

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Is that the NVIDIA Tegra...whatever? It should be noted that Switch’s internals are custom made for the hardware as well. Pretty sure they aren’t using the same stuff. At least for the...processor? I think?

I’m not good at tech-speak, lol. :p 

Those are the ARM cores that Nvidia used in the SOC (System on a Chip) Tegra X1 -- they were also used by Samsung in some of their Snapdragon chips.  The Tegra X1 chip was also used in some Nvidia devices several years before they were incorporated into the Switch.

The SOC, the screen and the memory were not "new" nor state-of-the-art when they launched.

In fact, Nvidia had already launched the next generation Tegra X2 before the the Switch launched.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Nintendo has kinda fallen to a neutral place for me. I don’t hate them, I’m just not interested in a lot of their output. And that’s OK! I get like one big Switch game a year, and I’m fine with that. 

That’s basically where I am with Playstation. 

I suppose Xbox as well, but I haven’t actually owned an Xbox thing since 360 so maybe that doesn’t line up perfectly.

11 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Nintendo has kinda fallen to a neutral place for me. I don’t hate them, I’m just not interested in a lot of their output. And that’s OK! I get like one big Switch game a year, and I’m fine with that. 

I’m not, when their output has now been combined into one console.  So now I’m buying less from them, straight up.  Hardware and games both.

That said, there’s still a lot more Switch games I’d buy if they were discounted to $20-30.  My interest is more price selective.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

@GameDadGrant

What’s there to be confused about?  I’m not paying $60 for remakes, Kirby and Yoshi games, Warioware, half baked Mario Party, etc.

Just saw Paper Mario for $30 at target.  That’s enough to start tempting me.  Might have bought that for $60 if everyone said it was TTYD good.

I mean...okay. I feel the dollar to value is fair. We were basically stealing games when they would land on 3DS for $40 and we got stuff like Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Monster Hunter 4 ULTIMATE. But now you're saying $60 is too much for Yoshi's Crafted World because Yoshi and Poochy's Woolly World was only $40? 

I dunno. I'm confused, but maybe that's on me. 

And if we're being honest, aren't all Mario Party games half-baked? Or YOU should be half-baked when playing them? LOL. (its one of the Nintendo franchises I just *don't* understand)

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

I mean...okay. I feel the dollar to value is fair. We were basically stealing games when they would land on 3DS for $40 and we got stuff like Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Monster Hunter 4 ULTIMATE. But now you're saying $60 is too much for Yoshi's Crafted World because Yoshi and Poochy's Woolly World was only $40? 

I dunno. I'm confused, but maybe that's on me. 

And if we're being honest, aren't all Mario Party games half-baked? Or YOU should be half-baked when playing them? LOL. (its one of the Nintendo franchises I just *don't* understand)

Mario Party has felt half baked since Hudsonsoft went under.

I wouldn’t consider 3DS games a steal at $40.  The effort and length often reflected the price tag.  There are exceptions, but they’re just that.

Prices do go up over time.  I realize that.  Not $40 to $60 from one generation to the next.  But I can give Switch some benefit of the doubt for the big fidelity jump and continuing on their console track.

But no, I won’t excuse the piss poor discounts where Nintendo’s games seldom sell below even 3DS msrp.  Even years out from release.  It’s absurd.

It boils down to this: I’m not spending money on Switch games I’d hesitate to buy even at standard 3DS pricing.  A lot of Nintendo’s games are in that place for me this gen.  Too many for how little they drop.