A virtual court hearing is halted once prosecutor realizes victim and abuser are in the same room

• SaysWho? changed the title to A virtual court hearing is halted once prosecutor realizes victim and abuser are in the same room
10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So there was already an officer standing outside her house? Is that normal?

From what I understand, the prosecutor texted the bailiff to send an officer to her place when there was suspicion that the defendant and victim were in the same room.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

From what I understand, the prosecutor texted the bailiff to send an officer to her place when there was suspicion that the defendant and victim were in the same room.

It sounded like he had been there from what they say in the video.

If they sent an officer he wouldn't have been there in two seconds.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It sounded like he had been there from what they say in the video.

If they sent an officer he wouldn't have been there in two seconds.

I don't think they sent the officer right when she said that; I think she voiced her concerns to the judge once she was assured the bailiff had a cop present by her house. That's probably why she asked which officer responded, not stationed there.

Wouldn't be surprised if the cop saw the defendant's car as well when he arrived, which is why she said it wasn't hearsay.

EDIT: Reading a little more, I don't know if the cop was there yet when she said that. I think the back-and-forth when the judge started speaking gave them some time.

58 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I don't think they sent the officer right when she said that; I think she voiced her concerns to the judge once she was assured the bailiff had a cop present by her house. That's probably why she asked which officer responded, not stationed there.

Wouldn't be surprised if the cop saw the defendant's car as well when he arrived, which is why she said it wasn't hearsay.

EDIT: Reading a little more, I don't know if the cop was there yet when she said that. I think the back-and-forth when the judge started speaking gave them some time.

Correct the cops were not site, and the exchange gave them time to arrive.

210311-blurred-michigan-court-mb-1714_15
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

"Your honor, I have reason to believe that the defendant is in the same apartment as the complaining witness right now," the prosecutor can be heard saying in the viral...

The brief back-and-forth bought just enough time for police to show up at the woman's apartment.

39 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Cops take at least 7 minutes to get to the scene that back and forth was like a couple of seconds.

I am fairly certain that 7 minutes is not the minimum response time for police officers :p 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Call the police right now and see how long they take to show up.

That's not an argument for minimum times, my man. You are thinking averages. Police routinely respond is very short times (often sub 120 seconds) to calls for service if they happen to be in the area at the time. Sometimes you have a police officer literally sitting in the parking lot of a place where a call for service happens.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Cops take at least 7 minutes to get to the scene that back and forth was like a couple of seconds.

Sure seemed like the prosecutor had the bailiff send someone over before she brought it up in front of the abuser. The bailiff knew the officer's name, and the prosecutor said it wasn't hearsay, but didn't want to reveal why until the cops were with the victim.

It's always funny in these zoom court cases how it seems like some people just don't take court very seriously when it's online. Like that surgeon who took a call while in surgery. I don't have much personal experience with the court system, but I feel like judges are not people to take kindly to disrespect.

Not really related, but they also respond reaaaallly slowly to things like burglaries. I worked at a restaurant that got broken into a couple times. Both times, the alarm went off, eventually the question is asked "is anyone actually in the building other than intruders?" to which the answer is "no," and the cops show up about 45 minutes later.

It makes sense. They're not going to rush into a situation that could be dangerous when the only thing they're saving is insurance money.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That's not an argument for minimum times, my man. You are thinking averages. Police routinely respond is very short times (often sub 120 seconds) to calls for service if they happen to be in the area at the time. Sometimes you have a police officer literally sitting in the parking lot of a place where a call for service happens.

I worked my job for 5 years and called the police all of the time. I know how fast they can show up and how slow they can show up.

7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Not really related, but they also respond reaaaallly slowly to things like burglaries. I worked at a restaurant that got broken into a couple times. Both times, the alarm went off, eventually the question is asked "is anyone actually in the building other than intruders?" to which the answer is "no," and the cops show up about 45 minutes later.

I can't talk specifics but unless someone's life is in jeopardy it's anyone's guess as to when they can show up. A similar situation to yours but it was a car and the person was still in it and not in their right mind.