Five favorite Resident Evil games?

ShreddieMercury

I recently bought the RE2 remake on sale again so I could play it on Series X, and got totally sucked in.  It's a brilliant game.  I decided to pick up Revelations 2, and it's much better than I thought it would be based on its reputation as a budget spinoff. 

I've tried various older games in the series (RE2 on Dreamcast, REmake), but they are always a bit too obtuse for me and I fall off pretty quickly.  Of the games I've played, RE4, RE2 Remake, and Revelations 2 are my favorite.  What are the top five in the series for you?  Also, is Code Veronica worth playing if I'm bad at the older games?

I loved remake 2 so much I got all the achievements and sometimes think about getting the PS version just to play it again to get all the trophies. Somehow haven’t played remake 3 but MR X chasing me around is my least favorite part of that game. I like Re4 a lot as well and hope that’s getting a remake too. Didn’t really get into 7 so not at all hyped for 8.

I liked the original two when they first came out, but they play like shit now and even the remake of the first plays too clunky for me.

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I loved remake 2 so much I got all the achievements and sometimes think about getting the PS version just to play it again to get all the trophies. Somehow haven’t played remake 3 but MR X chasing me around is my least favorite part of that game. I like Re4 a lot as well and hope that’s getting a remake too. Didn’t really get into 7 so not at all hyped for 8.

I liked the original two when they first came out, but they play like shit now and even the remake of the first plays too clunky for me.

RE3 Remake got a bad rap but it's really solid.  It feels more like an expansion for RE2 than a true follow up, but it's really fun and definitely still worth the time to play.  It's nowhere near as good as RE2, but also not half as bad as its reputation would suggest.

RE2 Remake

RE7

RE4

RE3 Remake

ReMake

I like the other games fine, but I'm much more into the newer style of RE over the older ones, which were always more of a fun novelty to me than good video games. Because of that, ReMake makes it onto the list mostly due to nostalgia and being much better than the original, and because I'd rather have an empty spot than put some garbage like RE6, or less-garbage-but-still-meh shit like RE5.

Also going on how I feel about these games now, not how I felt about them when they were new. RE4 was incredible when it was new, but at this point in time it's not nearly as enjoyable as it once was. If RE3 Remake had more polish and a longer campaign, that'd easily top it for me, because it was really fun to play.

RE2make

RE3make

those are the only RE games I could bring myself to actually finish. I did pick up the remaster of the first, it’s fun, but I lost interest and completely forgot what I was trying to do and just uninstalled it.

13 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Are you referring to the first Revelations game?  I'm playing 2 and having a great time, wondering if the first one is worth playing as well.  2 feels like a trashy spin-off of RE4.

Yes the first one. 

To be fair, all subsequent games in the series are going to feel like a trashy spin-off of 4. But Revelations had a cool setting on the cruise ship, some interesting new enemies, a couple of very memorable bosses, and wow. Raid Mode was an absolute blast. It's not a masterpiece, but I really enjoyed it. I played the original 3DS version, and the stereoscopic 3D helped the immersion factor as well. It's worth checking out on any platform. 

57 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yes the first one. 

To be fair, all subsequent games in the series are going to feel like a trashy spin-off of 4. But Revelations had a cool setting on the cruise ship, some interesting new enemies, a couple of very memorable bosses, and wow. Raid Mode was an absolute blast. It's not a masterpiece, but I really enjoyed it. I played the original 3DS version, and the stereoscopic 3D helped the immersion factor as well. It's worth checking out on any platform. 

If you haven't plaid the Raid mode in Rev 2, it's excellent. It's like Rev 1, but expanded with weapon and ability upgrades.

I played Rev 2 until completion, but i probably put more time into the Raid mode than the story.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

If you haven't plaid the Raid mode in Rev 2, it's excellent. It's like Rev 1, but expanded with weapon and ability upgrades.

I played Rev 2 until completion, but i probably put more time into the Raid mode than the story.

This is true, Raid Mode in Revelations 2 is fantastic!

On 3/27/2021 at 1:42 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

is Code Veronica worth playing if I'm bad at the older games?

Code: Veronica is my favorite Resident Evil game (I haven’t played the 2 and 3 remakes, or 7 yet), and the best of the older tank control games IMO. But if you’re bad at the older tank control games then you’ll most likely be bad at it as well since it plays exactly the same.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:12 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Are you referring to the first Revelations game?  I'm playing 2 and having a great time, wondering if the first one is worth playing as well.

It’s definitely worth playing, it feels like an older Resident Evil game but without tank controls. It’s better than Resident Evil 5 and 6 IMO.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

What I love the most about RE4 and RE5 is the multiple playthroughs letting you upgrade pretty much everything to infinite ammo and blasting the shit out of everything that moves.

I really like Resident Evil 5, but it feels more like an action game spin-off to the series than a numbered sequel. The same is true for Resident Evil 6 as well, it’s a good action game but not a good Resident Evil game IMO.

5 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I really like Resident Evil 5, but it feels more like an action game spin-off to the series than a numbered sequel. The same is true for Resident Evil 6 as well, it’s a good action game but not a good Resident Evil game IMO.

But you want to count DMC? :p

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

But you want to count DMC? :p

No, not really. But the original Devil May Cry does have more early Resident Evil design elements than Resident Evil 5 and 6. It’s obvious while playing it that it originally began as a Resident Evil game.

I just recently replayed most of them. I actually got to RE6 before I gave up (that game breaks me every time). I really liked the remakes of RE2 and RE3 but it's hard to rank them. I mean, everything about them is better than the originals (except for the missing content from RE3). Better controls, better sound, better graphics, etc. But... I don't know, maybe they're too new still. Maybe I need to play through them a few more times for them to really nestle themselves into my brain. The others have nostalgia and familiarity going for them. For example, RE5 is not a great RE game, but it's fun as shit and I've played through it so many times, I know that game inside and out. So I have to put it above other games that are objectively "better" RE games.

I'd say my list goes something like this:

REmake

RE4

RE5

RE Revelations 2

RE7

RE2 remake

RE3 remake

RE Revelations

RE0

RE Code Veronica

RE6

I loooooooved Code Veronica back in the day, but holy shit when I played through it not long ago it was a fucking chore. I loved a lot of the innovations they made for that game. The semi-fixed camera angles, the fully 3D environments, the dual wielding (and being able to shoot two different targets at once), Chris and Claire's stories intertwining, etc. There was a lot of cool shit for CV.

But oh my fucking god that game is hard to go back to. Respawning monsters (in a game with limited ammo) is very frustrating. So are the tight spaces that will have a zombie literally standing in the way, forcing you to either take a hit or waste ammo. There were a lot of little things that really add up to frustrate that shit out of the player. How about the moth hall that can poison you if you get caught by them (and you WILL get caught by them) every time you have to go through it.

I would absolutely lose my shit if they announced a full on remake of Code Veronica. That game needs it far, far more that RE4 does. There are so many great ideas there, but the story is atrocious and several characters need a major re-working. Steve is easily the most annoying character in all of RE's history, and while they tried to make Alfred come off as insane, he was basically just a Joker knockoff. I would love to see the game reimagined without stupid Matrix gimmicks and with actual brightness settings.

6 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I would absolutely lose my shit if they announced a full on remake of Code Veronica. That game needs it far, far more that RE4 does. There are so many great ideas there, but the story is atrocious and several characters need a major re-working.

I agree that Code: Veronica needs a remake far more than Resident Evil 4 does, but I don’t agree that its story is atrocious. It’s batshit crazy, but entertaining. However, I would expect some reworking done to it and the characters if they did a remake since both are way over-the-top even for a Resident Evil game.