The PRO Act has passed the house

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2021 at 9:35 AM, SaysWho? said:

EwFMbwgXcAIOZ6f?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Feels good seeing Ossoff and Warnock there for so many reasons.

time to update the infographic, prime minister Manchin to cosponsor the PRO Act

Shame we have to abolish the filibuster to make it happen. And Mark Warner is probably gonna fuck this up because why not

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah no doink. If you work for a company, you should be an employee. I'd be 100% fine with outright eliminating the entire concept of "independent contractor" from society.

As someone that is currently working as a contractor (and thus has no PTO), I'm all for this.

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah no doink. If you work for a company, you should be an employee. I'd be 100% fine with outright eliminating the entire concept of "independent contractor" from society.

There are lots of examples of actual independent contractors that make sense to keep in place. One of the ones that immediately comes to mind are skilled trades like tile or masonry guys. They do jobs for lots of different GCs and it would be a mess to make them W2 employees of every GC they do a job for throughout the year.

But as with everything, businesses have taken advantage of the legitimate use of independent contracting to create a class of what are obviously employees but given none of the benefits or protections of being an actual employee. You can fix the problem without creating a whole new set of issues.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

There are lots of examples of actual independent contractors that make sense to keep in place. One of the ones that immediately comes to mind are skilled trades like tile or masonry guys. They do jobs for lots of different GCs and it would be a mess to make them W2 employees of every GC they do a job for throughout the year.

But as with everything, businesses have taken advantage of the legitimate use of independent contracting to create a class of what are obviously employees but given none of the benefits or protections of being an actual employee. You can fix the problem without creating a whole new set of issues.

I think where a person creates a sole proprietorship for themselves (and then deals with other companies on that basis), it can make sense. But in the case of just people doing normal work for a company, it doesn't.

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

One of the benefits of the pro act is that these types of independent contractors (an explanation I heard specifically uses masons as an example) would gain the ability to collectively bargain while not affecting their status as contractors.

Because, as I'm sure you can see, GCs can use this independent contractor status to abuse these types of workers.