Do you enjoy your job?

gamer.tv

I'll begin my thread by apologising to those that are not in employment, but otherwise wish they could be - I do understand how frustrating an experience that is to live through and I hope it works out for you. 

At nearly 31, I've finally found a vocation (not just a job) that I love. After 2 and a half years of planning, studying and - horrific to say - actual hard work, I'm a qualified, employed teacher, teaching a class of 7 and 8 year olds. I love my job so much. I love the fact it takes a load of work to run properly. I love that I can get better every day and I can be responsible for that. I love the fact that it comes with a legitimate progression, that isn't overly dictated by the politics that dogged office work. I love that it's really hard job, that's only made easier by working at it, preparing properly and being part of a supportive work environment. 

I also love the fact it's routed in learning and that seeing children learn something, or try hard, or even when they fail and need help - is so much more rewarding than my previous life as a manager of a team of adults that worked for money - not because they enjoyed their job (much the same as me). 

So, for me - I'm very fortunate. There are obviously hard days (very hard days in fact) and balancing this new career with an 11 week old baby, a desire to stay fit, eat well, spend time with my Wife, walk my dog and have some kind of leisure time - as it stands right now, I wouldn't change anything. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I like it and sometimes I hate it, I suppose like everyone else. I make okay money for my lifestyle, and I pretty much take time off whenever I want.

Between the quarantines and my trips to Mexico and Italy early in the year, I will basically have only worked about 4 months total this year.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yours!

I do enjoy mine a lot too. I tend to "work" crazy hours over the course of my week, because I enjoy trying to solve AI and spend much my "free" time doing it because it's fun. I'd do this job even if it wasn't my job.

There are things I don't like about it of course. Being a research team lead means a fair number of work days are a marathon of meetings and I can get antsy because I don't feel like I'm making progress unless I'm doing math or coding something even though the meetings are often important. I also often find that I'm drained when there are a lot of candidates to interview. Not because the candidates are bad people, but because I get stressed about giving a fair interview and feel bad when I turn someone down since my decision ends up having a big impact on what happens in their life. I don't really enjoy that responsibility. At the same time, I want a say in who works for us :/ 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, legend said:

I also often find that I'm drained when there are a lot of candidates to interview. Not because the candidates are bad people, but because I get stressed about giving a fair interview and feel bad when I turn someone down since my decision ends up having a big impact on what happens in their life. I don't really enjoy that responsibility. At the same time, I want a say in who works for us :/ 

Hey can you give me a job interview?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SlipperySlope said:

Depends on the project. Some are great and fun, some are a chore to get through, I'm on a loooong chore right now I just want to finish. Really depends on the personalities of who I'm working with. 

This too... this is SOOO important. I have a couple of producers I work with that are amazing and some that absolutely suck :p

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

@legend You wouldn't happen to need a low paid employee for an untested experimental project would you? Anything would be an improvement over my current job.....

Sorry, mostly just hiring researchers/engineers at this point. There may be a future where we do need temporary testers for human interaction experiments, but probably not for some time.

Fuck no! I'm a project manager, so I'm always to blame for something someone else didn't do. That's the job. It pays well though and it will let me put my kids through college so, off I go with cup of coffee in hand, a smile on my face, and a pit of despair in each and every one of my round bones! :sun: 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Fuck no! I'm a project manager, so I'm always to blame for something someone else didn't do. That's the job. It pays well though and it will let me put my kids through college so, off I go with cup of coffee in hand, a smile on my face, and a pit of despair in each and every one of my round bones! :sun: 

That's why you just have to not have kids. Get a middling-paying job with little responsibility and coast your way through life.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

:lol: I hate project managers (But I heart you, Vic :hug:). I recognize the sources of my frustration usually aren't their fault, but rather one's of procedure or policy.  But them being in the unfortunate position of being the "Face" of those policies means they are often the target of my ire.

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Please provide me with a Scope, budget, goals, success criteria, and any schedule constraints you are aware of, thanks! :daydream:

Well I have a very comprehensive but straightforward plan with a modest budget. If you'd like to fly out here on your private jet I could read it to you by candlelight. :batting:

• Like 1

I like my job for the most part. I hate the documentation side of it and unfortunately that is a large part of it. But most of the time I enjoy what I actually do. 

I do feel like we'd be a lot happier in general with Euro-style time off and fewer hours per week. I think a lot of mental health issues would be alleviated to some degree in this country if we weren't working 40 hour work weeks on the average. 

1 hour ago, legend said:

The bad news is it probably won't be ready for a while. The good news is that doesn't matter.

Except that the younger version you tell would probably create an alternate timeline version of you so you would be stuck with your current past and the newly old version of you would only benefit from the changes created by you so he creates the 3rd version of the previous or new new you and um you would need that version to create the 4th version who creates a paradox and wipes out all life in the universe. Wait what were we talking about again? I like turtles!

47 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Except that the younger version you tell would probably create an alternate timeline version of you so you would be stuck with your current past and the newly old version of you would only benefit from the changes created by you so he creates the 3rd version of the previous or new new you and um you would need that version to create the 4th version who creates a paradox and wipes out all life in the universe. Wait what were we talking about again? I like turtles!

The problem is you're thinking there is only a single dimension of time!

Sometimes, but I’m definitely feeling the burnout after 10 years of med-surg. I think I need to try cardiac. 

I get so many shitty, abusive, stupid patients. People just do not like to show appreciation. 

I lost a patient a couple weeks ago. Should have gone straight to critical care but they sent her to us. 45 year old who injected meth in her breast and went septic. Hands and feet purple. Couldn’t get a line in her and spent an hour trying to while she screamed and cursed and puked on us. What a way to spend your final hours of life. 
Had a 50 year old the last couple nights who kept taking apart his peritoneal drain and leading ascites everywhere. He also felt the need to dismantle everything else in his room from his phone to his bedside table. He went home on hospice today. 

It’s just exhausting at times. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Sometimes, but I’m definitely feeling the burnout after 10 years of med-surg. I think I need to try cardiac. 

I get so many shitty, abusive, stupid patients. People just do not like to show appreciation. 

I lost a patient a couple weeks ago. Should have gone straight to critical care but they sent her to us. 45 year old who injected meth in her breast and went septic. Hands and feet purple. Couldn’t get a line in her and spent an hour trying to while she screamed and cursed and puked on us. What a way to spend your final hours of life. 
Had a 50 year old the last couple nights who kept taking apart his peritoneal drain and leading ascites everywhere. He also felt the need to dismantle everything else in his room from his phone to his bedside table. He went home on hospice today. 

It’s just exhausting at times. 

I honestly don't know how you even lasted 10 years with regular crap like that. My faith in humanity is already low and if I had to keep witness this kind of stuff it would be zero.