Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

The price is unrealistic for US infrastructure, but even tripling costs and it's still less than a single F-35.

Just fucking do it. Override all the shitty republican governors and do it dammit.

I just want trains. 

Also while we're spending money, give me some massive spending on local rail and bike systems

If Biden wins, I think we all remember from 2009 that the opposition can get crazier and things can be really frustrating. I think, however, this is a great reminder of those challenges should Biden prevail.

"Hope is not blind optimism. Hope is not ignoring problems. Hope is believing in the face of difficulty, that we can overcome and get a better world."

"I never expected progress to move directly in a straight line. You look at the history of this country, you make progress and then there's some backpedaling and backlash. And you consolidate some victories, and then there's some slippage, and then there's a renewed surge of energy, and then you make some more progress and then there's a little bit of back steppage, and then you push again."

I think the latter quote is most important. There were a lot of Democratic losses last decade, and 2016 seemed like the culmination of it all. But despite that, Democrats could win at the "right" time (census time) to undo so much of the insane gerrymandering Republicans pulled off. So regardless as to what happens in 2021/2022, Democratic wins this year would be helpful for the entirety of the 2020s. SCOTUS sucks right now, but having judges placed throughout the country who aren't far-right Republicans would be progress, and it would still be good to replace Breyer. What Democrats do with the power remain to be seen (please spare me the "LOL NOTHING THEY'RE GONNA LICK LOBSTERS), but I firmly believe the ACA fundamentally changed the conversation from, "Should we even be doing this," to, "What exactly are you going to replace the ACA with? Are people with preexisting conditions going to be covered? Are people still going to be able to stay on a family insurance until 26 so they can focus their finances on college and/or getting set in their new life?" And it helped me in between jobs since COBRA was so prohibitively expensive.

If Biden wins, people are still going to be frustrated at plenty of things because that never ends and we're not where we want to be. But at least the debate could be, "What should we aim for?" instead of, "How do we stop this stupid shit?" And perhaps we'll continue to see progressives surprise in primaries over the next two years.

First thing's first: Biden and Democrats have to win. Don't care that they're objectively in a good spot; the Senate isn't a done deal, and I don't know what is going to happen for the next 12 days. Then we go from there.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

This Hunter Biden story has revealed why Republicans are the way they are: their parents never showed them love and affection and so they are embittered and lack empathy. 

i mean, my mom never raised me, I never met my dad, and the closest we got to praise was a “Good job” about once a year. I seriously don’t think anyone ever told me they loved me before my wife. Im still not as emotionally crippled as most of these people. 

To us, being loved was grandma baki g cookies and sneaking us one before dinner.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Can we please just fast forward to the 3rd.

No—that’d  skip over the pics of Biden molesting 12-year olds with Hunter and video footage of Trump eating babies while discussing financing an underage prostitution ring with Giuliani and Xi Jinping.

(at least, at the rate of escalating insanity we’re traveling at, that’s about where we should end up)

• Confused 2

49 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I give up.

I’m not all that surprised, it’s just not an issue that tangibly affects that many people. Given that as a society there’s an extremely lackadaisical approach to anything related to the environment, I can see why so many are easily influenced against a ban. Immediate jobs > long term environmental damage. 

It would be interesting if we could drill down on those numbers by age groups.

30 minutes ago, Comet said:

I’m not all that surprised, it’s just not an issue that tangibly affects that many people. Given that as a society there’s an extremely lackadaisical approach to anything related to the environment, I can see why so many are easily influenced against a ban. Immediate jobs > long term environmental damage. 

It would be interesting if we could drill down on those numbers by age groups.

It's only immediate jobs if you have 0 interest in the government taking a leading role in job creation and have complete disregard for the environment.

55 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The only fracking that should be banned is banning people from watching BSG.

You don’t want people to watch the best Space sci-fi of the last two decades (Expanse has a better long term story, but BSG has way better characters)? Why? Do you not want people to do enjoyable things?

38 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's only immediate jobs if you have 0 interest in the government taking a leading role in job creation and have complete disregard for the environment.

People care far more about getting a weekly paycheck than the environment.Thats not shocking.  Long term thinking is nice if you can afford it. Most are struggling to get by. 

people trying to pay their mortgage and feed their kids aren’t worried about the environment. 

Everytime I see an environmentalist fighting against jobs that harm the environment, Im flabbergasted. You’ll never get the support of a struggling people when you’re trying to make things worse for them. And I know yhats not the intention, but thats what they see/hear when people say shit like “we’re going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business”. The arrogance of saying thode things when most Americans are struggling is not a way to win support.

12 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

You don’t want people to watch the best Space sci-fi of the last two decades (Expanse has a better long term story, but BSG has way better characters)? Why? Do you not want people to do enjoyable things?

No I want to save them from suffering through a garbage show.

• Guillotine 2

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

People care far more about getting a weekly paycheck than the environment.Thats not shocking.  Long term thinking is nice if you can afford it. Most are struggling to get by. 

people trying to pay their mortgage and feed their kids aren’t worried about the environment. 

Everytime I see an environmentalist fighting against jobs that harm the environment, Im flabbergasted. You’ll never get the support of a struggling people when you’re trying to make things worse for them. And I know yhats not the intention, but thats what they see/hear when people say shit like “we’re going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business”. The arrogance of saying thode things when most Americans are struggling is not a way to win support.

This is part of the reason the GND is a jobs program towards environmental/sustainable ends.

Again, these fracking jobs are only an issue if you simply leave the market as the only mechanism for jobs. I don't think most people honestly care if they're employed by a private company or the government, they want good pay and stability and to be able to have health insurance. Good jobs and good for the environment aren't incompatible, but if you leave it up to the extraction companies then yeah they are incompatible.

And most people have 0 to do with these extractive jobs! Traditional dems do have a problem with rural working class/Appalachian/extractive industry (read: largely white) workers. When your answer to their problems is "retraining(lol)/move/good luck" then yeah you're gonna fight hard for what little you have, not considering cultural issues.

When neither party really has a plan for your economic well-being, you go with the group that you culturally are fine with! And it's going to take a lot of work to overcome a generation+ of neglect.

Unlike most I don't think rural whites are lost to Republicans forever--what works for them is what works for everyone in the working class. But you're not going to get that with neoliberal "learn to be a nurse" or "learn to code" discourse or policy