Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

12 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Warren Warriors offer you fresh homemade pie, pour-over coffee, and talk to you politely -but passionately- about why paid parental leave is necessary and feasible. 

Bernie Bros offer you an open bag of Doritos, a crusty jizz rag to wipe off your face, and blow smoke from an American Spirit in your face while they talk about beheading Jeff Bezos. 

You mean you don't support beheading Jeff Bezos? You can get the :guillotine: first then. :talkhand:

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

That is exactly the premise of the article.

If the GOP becomes a "right-wing populist" party like those in Europe, it locks an electoral hold for a very long time.

Wouldn't we want Republicans to be more to the left economically so more of that could get bipartisan support?

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

Pick your poison: the leftward economic shift would be accompanied by even more right-wing social policies.

Yeah, I get that, but I guess the issue is many social policies are also economic policies. Civil rights is social, yeah, but civil rights leaders have talked for decades about the need for income inequality, about allowing black Americans to vote but not leveling the system which has benefited white people for ages, along with systemically racist policies like legacy admissions. 

It's part of why I don't get why it's been so hard for Democrats to have a clearer economic message (sans the obvious reason of outside $$$). But at the same time, Trump proved that even outnumbered in the money game, you can still turn out people who don't normally vote and win, and I feel it'd be easier to have a broad message that included people who are disadvantaged socially and economically. The gains in Kansas were great, and I've long wondered if that could be an experiment for Dems considering the history of moderate Republicanism and economic liberalism.

I dunno; there's not a simple answer, but I feel a socially and economically liberal platform actually has broad appeal. "Let these people be, they're not hurting anyone, and let's make sure no matter your demographic, you're not fighting in a rigged system." 

Economic policies are social policies. Exactly what left-wing economical policies wouldn't be pushing a left-wing social agenda and vice versa?  Remember Obama liked to kiss Republicans to death, no reason for us to lose our heads and get blinded by the bowtie'd one. 

3 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Economic policies are social policies. Exactly what left-wing economical policies wouldn't be pushing a left-wing social agenda and vice versa?  Remember Obama liked to kiss Republicans to death, no reason for us to lose our heads and get blinded by the bowtie'd one. 

Which Democratic candidates are rabidly endorsing tariffs and farmer subsidies?  

I really don't think Biden is ready to debate Warren, either. Hard to tell where Harris is at but it's going to be bad for him if he tries to come for her. He did great vs Paul Ryan but that's because he's a fucking moron with no real convictions. Warren and Harris will eat him for lunch.

3 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

It's very easy to advocate leftist economic policies (universal health care) while advocating right-wing social policies (nativist immigration sentiments).  This is done all over Europe.

Just now, Anathema- said:

Que

Sorry, I guess I wasn't replying directly to your point, but more to the point that Trump is pushing (traditionally left) economic policies, and as far as I can tell, none of the Democratic candidates support Trump's world view on tariffs. 

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

It's very easy to advocate leftist economic policies (universal health care) while advocating right-wing social policies (nativist immigration sentiments).  This is done all over Europe.

But then that's not universal healthcare, it's herrenvolk.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Sorry, I guess I wasn't replying directly to your point, but more to the point that Trump is pushing (traditionally left) economic policies, and as far as I can tell, none of the Democratic candidates support Trump's world view on tariffs. 

I really don't think there's enough contemporary examples of tariff-and-reward to pin it on one party or the other. 

Despite that, the trump tariff and reward plan is clearly about fighting enemies of the right and directly rewarding only a constituency of theirs. That's not left wing policy either modern or traditionally.