Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

No, it depends on Congress. The Vox article you just linked to just stated the reality of the Senate: 

Threaten a primary, every President loses Congress in the midterms, might as well put pressure on them while you've got them. 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree with you that the Vox article points that out - as I said, public pressure and Presidential pressure will carry his/Warrens/whoever's agenda the rest of the way. It depends on how hard the president is wishing to push. I'd like someone like Trump, but reasonable and intelligent. With strength, that'd be effective. 

And Sanders is a pragmatic person - he isn't against the global poor no matter how many times you say so. But you and I will have to agree to disagree on that one I think. :p 

Public pressure, from where? I think this is naive to think that moderate Senators are suddenly going to pass all of Warren and Sander's proposals into law. They have to get elected in swing states. The political realities and their desire for reelection will override whatever pressure you can fathom coming from Sanders or the public. 

It's not about what I say, it's about what Sanders would do. He's against trading with poor nations. He doesn't care about the global poor enough to have policies that would help them. Giving political speeches doesn't help their wages or bring them economic prosperity. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Public pressure, from where? I think this is naive to think that moderate Senators are suddenly going to pass all of Warren and Sander's proposals into law. They have to get elected in swing states. The political realities and their desire for reelection will override whatever pressure you can fathom coming from Sanders or the public. 

It's not about what I say, it's about what Sanders would do. He's against trading with poor nations. He doesn't care about the global poor enough to have policies that would help them. Giving political speeches doesn't help their wages or bring them economic prosperity. 

Pressure from the President, and through him, public pressure on the party, in the same way Trump does with Republicans and his base, except the core of Sanders and Warrens' policies are both good, and have huge public polling approval already anyway. As more and more of the progressive message has gotten out, it has gained popularity. No one could have fathomed before Bernie Sanders in 2016 we would be talking about the progressive policy message to the degree it is influence presidential candidates policy positions. As president, they could (and should, to a degree) do what Trump does. Strength is a key part of effectively leading. 

7 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Invite the primary challenger to the White House, hold rallies for the challenger, withdraw all DNC support for the seat, announce the Senator's corporate PAC donors, make it clear the DNC considers the seat lost so get in line or go bankrupt before November. 

1 minute ago, Jwheel86 said:

Invite the primary challenger to the White House, hold rallies for the challenger, withdraw all DNC support for the seat, announce the Senator's corporate PAC donors, make it clear the DNC considers the seat lost so get in line or go bankrupt before November. 

Exactly - the president could back challengers in primaries the president initiates due to disapproval with the democratic incumbent. Then there's social media. There's a thousand different ways to create both presidential and public pressure to get policies passed.

The median vote in the Senate is meaningless until you abolish the fillibuster. The actual policy positions of the president doesn't matter so much as to be a starting point/negotiating basis with congress, and we shouldn't start from a compromised position, regardless of what actually comes out of the Congressional sausage factory. Thank you for your time.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The median vote in the Senate is meaningless until you abolish the fillibuster. The actual policy positions of the president doesn't matter so much as to be a starting point/negotiating basis with congress, and we shouldn't start from a compromised position, regardless of what actually comes out of the Congressional sausage factory. Thank you for your time.

No, thank you sir!

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Damn man, I know some people dislike Sanders supporters' strategies, but not voting for their own candidate is fucking extreme. :p 

It did not, and will not happen in any important numbers. It's a ridiculous excuse that ignores the fact that Dems ran the worst candidate. 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Better to hate Bernie, at least a guy with outlined policy proposals on his website and a voting record we can see going back decades, than Mayor Pete, Schrodinger's politician (so far) because Bernie does indeed have some issues. Like Trump though, Mayor Pete hardly has any political experience and appears to to be pro-corporate, but because he's likeable the rest doesn't matter? That's the liberal equivalent of "I feel like I could have a beer with him".

Policy proposals. Voting records. Ability to manage. These are all that matter. An unknown mayor from South Bend, Indiana has to prove these things first before I consider him a worthy contender, period.

That being said, beyond his constant double speak I do like him. 

giphy.gif

Policy details or no I'll give Mayo Pete this: he does a better job speaking truth to power than Bernie does. Maybe because he has little, especially compared to Sanders; but when Sanders changed his stump speech to stop railing against millionaires, coincidentally around the time he became one, his legitimacy lost most of the rest of its lustre. What good is speaking truth to power only when it's comfortable? How can it be a person's virtue when they never address the power that they benefit from? Bernie has shown no signs that he's willing to challenge the institutions and power structures that have him power now that he's a cog in the system.  The pigs are walking.

5 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

You really think that Democrats are going to risk losing the incumbent advantage just because they won't agree to exactly what Bernie or Warren wants? 

You guys are using Trump as an example of someone that is strong and pushes his party into line, but he couldn't get rid of the ACA and he couldn't even get his wall built. Then he lost the House and he is increasingly losing support from the public. 

The public is for Medicare for all, but more of the public favors the idea of the public option. How will the public feel about Bernie destroying senators in his own party over a policy that is less popular than what the Senator is for?

25 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

You really think that Democrats are going to risk losing the incumbent advantage just because they won't agree to exactly what Bernie or Warren wants? 

You guys are using Trump as an example of someone that is strong and pushes his party into line, but he couldn't get rid of the ACA and he couldn't even get his wall built. Then he lost the House and he is increasingly losing support from the public. 

The public is for Medicare for all, but more of the public favors the idea of the public option. How will the public feel about Bernie destroying senators in his own party over a policy that is less popular than what the Senator is for?

We've played this game before, trying to hold seats by going moderate, it doesn't work. Especially when those moderate solutions fail and those seats are lost anyway. By this logic we shouldn't have passed the ACA. 

16 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Policy details or no I'll give Mayo Pete this: he does a better job speaking truth to power than Bernie does. Maybe because he has little, especially compared to Sanders; but when Sanders changed his stump speech to stop railing against millionaires, coincidentally around the time he became one, his legitimacy lost most of the rest of its lustre. What good is speaking truth to power only when it's comfortable? How can it be a person's virtue when they never address the power that they benefit from? Bernie has shown no signs that he's willing to challenge the institutions and power structures that have him power now that he's a cog in the system.  The pigs are walking.

You seem so against Sanders because of 2016 I'm not sure you are capable of supporting Sanders or discussing him in any meaningful way. Just from what I have observed. I may like Sanders but I didn't hate Hillary Clinton and I certainly am open to other candidates. I'm not sure I can say you are open at all about Sanders given you take every opportunity to paint him in as negative a light as possible.

For instance, he  hasn't stopped railing against millionaires and billionaires at all - he discussed it in his latest CNN town hall. He is the current frontrunner and has incredible support. Will he win? No idea - but to suggest he is uniquely a hypocrite in this field is hilarious. :)

12 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Yes, that's exactly what I think. I think Warren and Sanders will get their messages out as president, like Trump, but unlike him, they will convince the country what they convinced me of - their policy proposals are the best place to start the conversation, and I think that people will rally behind it. The hardest thing about the progressive message has been getting people to listen - when they do, even die hard conservatives change their minds.

You are underestimating strength from a position of reason and empathy being much more effective than Trump's version of the same. 

16 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

VQWKkkQ.jpg

So are the other candidates besides Joe, Cory, Pete, and Robert Francis going to make new logos with their First/short/nick names?

This is the worst.