Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Bernie came out of nowhere in 2016, so even if you wanted to argue that he's coasting on name recognition now, that's selectively omitting the fact that he did have to earn his popularity in 2016.

I don't dispute that; I'm saying he's coasting off of the name recognition he gained in 2016.

It just doesn't seem to me that he's widened his base much from what it already was coming in.  Same with Biden.  Buttigieg appears to be the candidate whose base of support is growing at the fastest clip. (it helps that he was a relative unknown coming in)  That makes for momentum, which is oftentimes what helps most in winning these contests when they are highly crowded.

And, just to be clear, I'm not talking about who the 'best' hypothetical candidate is, or who I'd prefer; that's a different subject altogether.  I'm just talking about trends I see in the pure 'horserace' aspect of these primaries.

7 hours ago, Chris- said:

She's a woman.

4 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Sanders is only the most left candidate if you don't think liberal stances on racial or reproductive justice are "left" or care about any meaningful gun restrictions. Or sanctions on Russia. To suggest he's the most left candidate is, in fact, plainly absurd.

Man, the salt is thick with you two.... 

Hillary lost all on her own. Its not the fault of Sanders suppporters. She was just a terrible candidate with a lot of baggage. Its puzzling she lost to Trump, but its 100% her own fault. 

It's wierd to blame everyone else because your team lost. Its the shit kids (And Toronto Maple Leaf fans) do with hockey. It was the ref's fault! 

Iowa's longest serving republican state rep left the GOP for the Democratic party citing Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/04/24/if-this-is-new-normal-i-want-no-part-it-citing-trump-iowas-longest-serving-republican-leaves-party/?fbclid=IwAR3uwg28yLF50kpC8AnloMyNarZimvY3e9xRIJkd4dSWnhT-LU7ZJUjTMwk&utm_term=.c726a9577546

McKean revealed he would join the Democratic Party, a decision he described as a “very difficult” after spending nearly a half-century as a registered Republican and 26 years in the Legislature. But ultimately, he said, “I feel as a Republican that I need to be able to support the standard bearer of our party.”

And “unfortunately,” he said, he could not bring himself to support Trump.

“Unacceptable behavior should be called out for what it is,” he said during the news conference at the Iowa Statehouse in Des Moines, “and Americans of all parties should insist on something far better in the leader of their country and the free world.”

5 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

God, I hope cable news isn't going that stupid route. I don't watch enough of it to know.

On a side note, this reminds me of Brit Hume in 2012 during the conventions. In one of Daily Show's infamous "Bullshit Mountain Fox News" segments, Brit Hume was like

Paul Ryan: This is what he's brought to the campaign. You can sense his knowledge on the economy. You can sense his knowledge on unemployment. Detailed, he has a grasp of the issues.

Bill Clinton: It was wonky. He gave so many numbers and policy figures that people simply aren't going to remember them.

Which, on a side note, is what you're there for as a news guy: fact-checking the figures and talking to your viewers.

Better to hate Bernie, at least a guy with outlined policy proposals on his website and a voting record we can see going back decades, than Mayor Pete, Schrodinger's politician (so far) because Bernie does indeed have some issues. Like Trump though, Mayor Pete hardly has any political experience and appears to to be pro-corporate, but because he's likeable the rest doesn't matter? That's the liberal equivalent of "I feel like I could have a beer with him".

Policy proposals. Voting records. Ability to manage. These are all that matter. An unknown mayor from South Bend, Indiana has to prove these things first before I consider him a worthy contender, period.

That being said, beyond his constant double speak I do like him. 

giphy.gif

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

:| 

I hate anchor/reporters like that. "But at lot of people disagree with you." Not only does he not define how many and who, but the fucking reason the guy is on there is to get people out to vote and convince people on his perspective herp derp. "But people disagree," is so fucking useless. :| 

Just talk about the argument against the deal revolving around remaining in the Customs Union and why that's supposedly bad, and then ask the guy to respond.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

:| 

I hate anchor/reporters like that. "But at lot of people disagree with you." Not only does he not define how many and who, but the fucking reason the guy is on there is to get people out to vote and convince people on his perspective herp derp. "But people disagree," is so fucking useless. :| 

Just talk about the argument against the deal revolving around remaining in the Customs Union and why that's supposedly bad, and then ask the guy to respond.

the dude your opinion GIF

1 minute ago, Jason said:

the dude your opinion GIF

Ugh, it's seriously my biggest pet peeve. It'd be like me going on Good Morning America in 2005 advocating for gay marriage legalization.

"But most people disagree with you."

No shit, I'm trying to turn the fucking tide, dipshit.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Ugh, it's seriously my biggest pet peeve. It'd be like me going on Good Morning America in 2005 advocating for gay marriage legalization.

"But most people disagree with you."

No shit, I'm trying to turn the fucking tide, dipshit.

Your point is invalid because you used a bad word. :talkhand:

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Warren is certainly the candidate with the most defined policy positions.  She has even garnered positive coverage from the pro-Sanders Jacobin and Current Affairs.

Warren would be the best President of the bunch, I don't think anyone else even comes close. Is she the best candidate? No, as she is a woman and you can't be a woman in American politics unless you are a friendly mom figure, as Americans (as a whole) don't understand that women can be competent like men. 

I predict that Pete will siphon off support from Sanders, resulting in Bernie coasting through the early primaries and eventually becoming nominee, with Sanders supporters then being outraged and refusing to vote.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Warren would be the best President of the bunch, I don't think anyone else even comes close. Is she the best candidate? No, as she is a woman and you can't be a woman in American politics unless you are a friendly mom figure, as Americans (as a whole) don't understand that women can be competent like men. 

I predict that Pete will siphon off support from Sanders, resulting in Bernie coasting through the early primaries and eventually becoming nominee, with Sanders supporters then being outraged and refusing to vote.

Damn man, I know some people dislike Sanders supporters' strategies, but not voting for their own candidate is fucking extreme. :p 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Basically: implement more strict means testing at all levels and lower the forgiveness to the average for Federal loans: $23k.

Ah, I've heard that one. Yeah, I'm not sure how that is a better, more effective and helpful plan. It's still something, but again, not enough. 

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Tbf that's likely what the end product would be after getting through even a Democratic Senate.

Depends on the President. Given the president's bully pulpit and the effect of public opinion on legislation, you'd be surprised what may get done depending on who is president. We're seeing that done in the worst of ways with Trump. So I'm not sure that's necessarily true, though knowing how everything will go down it is depressingly most likely. 

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Depends on the President. Given the president's bully pulpit and the effect of public opinion on legislation, you'd be surprised what may get done depending on who is president. We're seeing that done in the worst of ways with Trump. So I'm not sure that's necessarily true, though knowing how everything will go down it is depressingly most likely. 

No, it depends on Congress. The Vox article you just linked to just stated the reality of the Senate: 

The reality, obviously, is that if Democrats do very well in the 2020 elections, they only might secure a scenario in which Blue Dog Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) holds the median vote in the US Senate. Under those circumstances, it’s not just that Sanders’s agenda won’t pass — every single Democrat in the field except maybe Klobuchar is running on a platform that’s wildly unrealistic.

There is absolutely no universe in which Sanders can enact an agenda that’s more left-wing than what a Kamala Harris administration would deliver, since not only Harris herself but dozens of more conservative senators would need to vote for anything he does.

Edit: One large exception to this is trade, which as we've seen with Trump, a president has tons of authority and power on without Congress which is one reason why Sanders is so dangerous to me. 

12 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

No, it depends on Congress. The Vox article you just linked to just stated the reality of the Senate: 

Edit: One large exception to this is trade, which as we've seen with Trump, a president has tons of authority and power on without Congress which is one reason why Sanders is so dangerous to me. 

I agree with you that the Vox article points that out (I disagree with their political assessment on this point) - as I said, public pressure and Presidential pressure will carry his/Warrens/whoever's agenda the rest of the way. It depends on how hard the president is wishing to push. I'd like someone like Trump, but reasonable and intelligent. With strength, that'd be effective. 

And Sanders is a pragmatic person - he isn't against the global poor no matter how many times you say so. But you and I will have to agree to disagree on that one I think. :p