Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

43 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Pete may have actually won, which is horrible if true.

The Sanders data and Pete data aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, plus it doesn't matter because Pete has exactly 0 support from minority communities.

Not that you can trust internal data, so I'm told

I'm sure a hundred talking heads will have all sorts of opinions on the results this morning, but I can't see how this really helps anyone other than Sanders and Warren (and maybe Bloomberg). If Biden does just as poorly in NH, then he is probably done. Even if he does okay on super tuesday, he isn't going to be winning by the margins necessary to get the nomination. Biden has something like 50% of the AA vote locked in right now, but Clinton won by a 50% margin. Sanders and Warren are both pulling in some of that vote, with Sanders also doing fantastic in all other minority groups. I can't see Pete doing well at all outside of the all-white states.

lol, from Resetera:

The Iowa branch of the DNC is going to put out a statement about how they are grateful for the feedback they've received from fans and they are sorry to have fallen short of their expectations. They will share a roadmap about how they are working on fixes and have longterm plans to support the caucus. Early voters will received a small amount of in-caucus currency as thanks for supporting the caucus.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm sure a hundred talking heads will have all sorts of opinions on the results this morning, but I can't see how this really helps anyone other than Sanders and Warren (and maybe Bloomberg). If Biden does just as poorly in NH, then he is probably done. Even if he does okay on super tuesday, he isn't going to be winning by the margins necessary to get the nomination. Biden has something like 50% of the AA vote locked in right now, but Clinton won by a 50% margin. Sanders and Warren are both pulling in some of that vote, with Sanders also doing fantastic in all other minority groups. I can't see Pete doing well at all outside of the all-white states.

2016 was a 2 person race though not a 5-6 one. Lot more candidates to divide those votes among, having 50% of any group right now is quite an accomplishment 

Biden is going to do just fine. He will still probably take the nomination. 

The loser is the Democratic Party. Turnout in Iowa was at 2016 levels rather than 2008. Couple this with the special election in Texas and while it is insufficient to draw any firm conclusions, it certainly isn’t exciting. 

3 minutes ago, elbobo said:

2016 was a 2 person race though not a 5-6 one. Lot more candidates to divide those votes among, having 50% of any group right now is quite an accomplishment 

It definitely is, but Biden's overall margins in the South aren't as massive as Clinton's, and Bernie is looking likely to win states that he didn't in 2016. Regardless, if Amy and Pete stay as strong as they are, then it's not good for Biden.

17 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Biden is going to do just fine. He will still probably take the nomination. 

The loser is the Democratic Party. Turnout in Iowa was at 2016 levels rather than 2008. Couple this with the special election in Texas and while it is insufficient to draw any firm conclusions, it certainly isn’t exciting. 

I don't see how you can say this.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

ryan gosling lol GIF

WELL.

Yeah, I will say that ranked choice voting is what we need. But what the caucuses are (and what I did not understand--and apparently no one does) are not just in-person versions of that. 

The caucus system is fucked. 

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The fact that the company has an incestuous relationship with the democratic party establishment doesn't in and of itself create a conspiracy

it sure as hell doesn't look good though when you have a candidate that a lot of his followers still think he got screwed over by the establishment in 2016 and there might be shenanigans again this time around

4 minutes ago, elbobo said:

it sure as hell doesn't look good though when you have a candidate that a lot of his followers still think he got screwed over by the establishment in 2016 and there might be shenanigans again this time around

Oh, don't get me wrong. At minimum the optics are absolutely fucking horrible