Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

37 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Thank goodness they feel they can do this only when not running for reelection.

Like, what's the difference between not running for reelection and losing in a primary, which would have the same outcome as declining to run?

There isn't a difference in the outcome, but I imagine that running a campaign and being in Trump's crosshairs/shunned by the rest of the GOP is stressful. 

I had a coworker a week ago tell me he though Tulsi had the best chance at being the first female president. I totally WTF and called him on that. He is pretty liberal but also big on memes. So the latest part on bots signal boosting her makes more sense to me. 

Buttigieg closing in on Warren/Biden.

The poll also found that Buttigieg holds a narrow lead over Warren and Biden among debate-watchers, with 19 percent support compared to 17 percent for each of them, according to the poll.

Seems he’s capitalizing on the collapse of Biden like I thought he might; which is good, as he makes much more sense as the centrist choice over Biden.

Also looks like the attacks on Warren’s vague answer to how she’d finance M4A were pretty effective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Seems he’s capitalizing on the collapse of Biden like I thought he might; which is good, as he makes much more sense as the centrist choice over Biden.

Also looks like the attacks on Warren’s vague answer to how she’d finance M4A were pretty effective.

Yep. He's getting traction in white primary states, but he still has tons of work to do in more diverse states.

Julián Castro says he'll drop out unless he raises $800,000 by end of month

On Monday, however, Rupert said that the campaign's latest plea was genuine. "Unfortunately, we do not see a path to victory that doesn't include making the November debate stage—and without a significant uptick in our fundraising, we cannot make that debate," she said. 

Castro hinted at his polling and financial struggles at a campaign stop in Las Vegas on Saturday, where he begged supporters to do all that they can to get him on the debate stage in November.

"I need your help it's over the next three weeks to talk to your family members to your friends and spread the word," Castro said.

Castro isn't the first candidate to say he'll drop out unless supporters pony up more cash. In September, Senator Cory Booker told supporters he needed to raise $1.7 million dollars over a span of ten days to stay in the race. The gambit worked, with Booker raising more than his target sum in what his campaign said was his strongest 10-day fundraising stretch since entering the race. 

6 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Biden collapses, Buttigieg gets killed in South Carolina and other minority heavy states, Warren looked weak under fire, everyone else goes broke except Bernie. Bernie's got a path. 

• Like 1

What many of you don't want to hear is Bernie has a hard cap over his head. He will never get 60% of the Democratic Party behind him. I don't want Warren as the nominee, but in fairness to her, she didn't look weak because of her performance at the debate. She looked weak because she doesn't have a plan to finance her healthcare policy. She has vowed to fix that, so I imagine she will look stronger next time that attack comes up. Then it's just a matter of selling a tax hike on the middle class to finance M4A while abolishing all private insurance.

4 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Biden collapses, Buttigieg gets killed in South Carolina and other minority heavy states, Warren looked weak under fire, everyone else goes broke except Bernie. Bernie's got a path. 

Bernie's path is the best long term strategy for the party: a diverse working class coalition built from the ground up based on social, economic, and environmental justice. And long term, it's clear that taking donations from the owners of capital while supporting half-assed measures to materially improve the lives of workers is a balance that is failing. I don't think the party is there yet and I don't know who takes up the mantle after Bernie.

Also, 71% of democrats support M4A, including a majority of independents. (A "public option" polls higher but it's about as close to a meaningless term as is "universal healthcare")

24 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I would be curious to hear from the Bernie supporters here why they support Bernie over Warren at this point.

I prefer Warren. One of my very good friends prefers Bernie. His arguments usually revolve around him holding his positions for longer or she's not far enough left. As an example, he says that Warren isn't far enough to the left because she only wants to relieve $50k of your student debt while Sanders wants to relieve all of it.

I'm fine with either, but Sanders has more bona fides regarding the movement for a more social democracy. On Warren's side, I do think Current Affairs is reasonable about doubts about her adherence to the most strict and beneficial social policies like medicare for all. The "danger" with Warren is that she may compromise positions to get a policy that "works." Which is legitimate and it's really a question of how well the President can steer the creation of legislation in Congress. And because of that, I think it's a big mark against Sanders because he just can't do that. He can build people movements, but I don't know if he can effectively administer a bureaucracy. And that's even before I get into the foreign policy issues. Back to the initial point though, Warren knows how the machine works (and so does Sanders) but Warren seems more keen on engaging with it and tinkering to get some outcome that may not be ideal, but could be good. Sanders wants a great outcome. 

But back to why Sanders is good, I do believe that Sanders is effective at mobilizing and exciting people about an Idea and a Goal. That's needed rather than Warren reaching out with plans that seem like they're good ideas. 

In reality though, the work Bernie is doing building a movement is being done on a more impactful scale by people like Stacey Abrams. People on the ground floor of expanding voting access are needed if the country can be changed. 

We need that level of organization and focus on those issues at the state level in all 50 states (plus DC and Puerto Rico). We need movement-builders at the head of the party that ignite people and get them really excited and engaged in the political processes. And we need forces in the legislature that will stop at nothing to do what is right and support the movement. 

Basically, Abrams as DNC Chair, Bernie as President, and The Squad + Warren/Sanders/equivalent in the House/Senate leadership roles would probably lead to some significant change in America.  

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Bernie's path is the best long term strategy for the party: a diverse working class coalition built from the ground up based on social, economic, and environmental justice. And long term, it's clear that taking donations from the owners of capital while supporting half-assed measures to materially improve the lives of workers is a balance that is failing. I don't think the party is there yet and I don't know who takes up the mantle after Bernie.

Also, 71% of democrats support M4A, including a majority of independents. (A "public option" polls higher but it's about as close to a meaningless term as is "universal healthcare")

But I’m wondering if that’s not to some degree also kind of a ‘rorschach’ term; like if the specifics were made clearer, and middle-to-upper-middle suburban democrats realized they’d be losing their nice private healthcare plans under M4A, would support for it drop?