Trump will run in 2024

Tell me, what's an easier push:

moving democratic elected to move more forcefully to alleviate the material concerns of americans to match more closely with its own base

Or

Having the republican party move wholly against the material interest of it's own base, let alone it's entire philosophical underpinnings (read: low taxes and the "free market") to enact even mild social democatic reforms like M4A?

Like I get, 100%, the need for democratic electeds to make a difference in the material concerns of working people that doesn't boil down to "we're not the racist homophobic woman hating Republicans!" 

And their lack of action on these fronts is leading to disaffection with the party, getting african american and latino men to hold their nose to the racism for change but uh...let's not forget who the Republicans actually care about: their wealthy donors who make their fortunes exploiting these same black and brown working men.

2 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I'm with @run32.dll on this one.

We should all be very, very afraid of what the post-Trumpian GOP will bring, especially if they finally learn their lesson and stifle the blatant racism.  As I posted in another thread, Trump is doing better with African-American and Latin-American men than in 2016.

There's a lesson there for the GOP and a warning signal for the Democrats as large swathes on non-white communities are still VERY much "socially conservative".

And maybe the scorpion will stop stinging.

• Like 1

My bottom-line  is this: don't underestimate the GOP's ability to at least pay sufficient  lip-service to these notions while simultaneously reassuring their donor base that it won't impact them too severely.  The argument is quite simple: surrender a little bit of economic power in exchange for significant, long-term political power...which ultimately results in economic power anyway.

I mean, they just captured the court system for at least a generation, if not more.  Why would anyone expect them to be any less "nimble" for other political goals?

40 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

My bottom-line  is this: don't underestimate the GOP's ability to at least pay sufficient  lip-service to these notions while simultaneously reassuring their donor base that it won't impact them too severely.  The argument is quite simple: surrender a little bit of economic power in exchange for significant, long-term political power...which ultimately results in economic power anyway.

I mean, they just captured the court system for at least a generation, if not more.  Why would anyone expect them to be any less "nimble" for other political goals?

This reformed gop sounds like a corporate democrat. Don't need the whole party, just a half dozen "red state" senators and you're accomplishing the same objective

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This reformed gop sounds like a corporate democrat. Don't need the whole party, just a half dozen "red state" senators and you're accomplishing the same objective

The key significant difference between this "reformed" GOP and the corporate Democrats will be non-racial social values.

I've mentioned it before, and I'll say it again; back in 2012 I saw the racism and misogyny of the Republican party and thought how could anyone in their right mind, with 21st century ideals vote for them, and when they lost I thought maybe they would learn their lesson and modernize things. Instead they went lower, and elected Donald Fucking Trump. I'm now worried about who comes after Trump. Win or lose this election, the next one I'm worried about who they're going to pick that can galvanize his base, and those some deplorable people, and who actually might even be worse than Trump in terms of racism, misogyny, Islamophobia, nationalism, etc., and whoever it is, he'll probably be smart.

Trump is an idiot, but imagine someone just as evil and hateful, if not moreso, but actually smart and knows how to actually be a politician and get things done.

That is something to worry about. 

10 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Like I get, 100%, the need for democratic electeds to make a difference in the material concerns of working people that doesn't boil down to "we're not the racist homophobic woman hating Republicans!" 

And their lack of action on these fronts is leading to disaffection with the party, getting african american and latino men to hold their nose to the racism for change but uh...let's not forget who the Republicans actually care about: their wealthy donors who make their fortunes exploiting these same black and brown working men.

Democrats are no better. They care about us voters when its time for us to vote, but otherwise, people like Pelosi don’t give a shit about the people. There’s the odd AOC who actually seems to care, but most of them are worthless. Just not as worthless as the gop

4 hours ago, Brick said:

I've mentioned it before, and I'll say it again; back in 2012 I saw the racism and misogyny of the Republican party and thought how could anyone in their right mind, with 21st century ideals vote for them, and when they lost I thought maybe they would learn their lesson and modernize things. Instead they went lower, and elected Donald Fucking Trump. I'm now worried about who comes after Trump. Win or lose this election, the next one I'm worried about who they're going to pick that can galvanize his base, and those some deplorable people, and who actually might even be worse than Trump in terms of racism, misogyny, Islamophobia, nationalism, etc., and whoever it is, he'll probably be smart.

Trump is an idiot, but imagine someone just as evil and hateful, if not moreso, but actually smart and knows how to actually be a politician and get things done.

That is something to worry about. 

Most people have been saying that for a while now. When they get a candidate who is intelligent, America is fucked. 

oh, also, people vote republican because we Americans turned politics into a team sport. They hate the other side like I hate the patriots. 

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Most people have been saying that for a while now. When they get a candidate who is intelligent, America is fucked. 

oh, also, people vote republican because we Americans turned politics into a team sport. They hate the other side like I hate the patriots. 

People keep saying the part about if the GOP get a smart candidate that we are fucked. The GOP already has it in the senate. They realized that as long as they control one of the house it doesn't matter who is at 1600 Pennsylvania. For the republicans it is about getting somebody that can win the White House, baggage be damned, to rubber stamp what the senate tells them to. To them the White House is nothing but a form of star fucking. I fully expect to see more populist candidates in the future come out of their ranks as that gives them the best chances to do what they have shown to be effective.  

10 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

People keep saying the part about if the GOP get a smart candidate that we are fucked. The GOP already has it in the senate. They realized that as long as they control one of the house it doesn't matter who is at 1600 Pennsylvania. For the republicans it is about getting somebody that can win the White House, baggage be damned, to rubber stamp what the senate tells them to. To them the White House is nothing but a form of star fucking. I fully expect to see more populist candidates in the future come out of their ranks as that gives them the best chances to do what they have shown to be effective.  

Think how effective they’d be with a competent president as full of hate as they are?

12 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The key significant difference between this "reformed" GOP and the corporate Democrats will be non-racial social values.

The problem is the gop is a party of grab bag cultural greivance to advance corporate interests. Does the addition of some black and brown men outweigh the loss of a bunch of white racists? Doubtful, especially with the white and rural lean of the party anyway.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Democrats are no better. They care about us voters when its time for us to vote, but otherwise, people like Pelosi don’t give a shit about the people. There’s the odd AOC who actually seems to care, but most of them are worthless. Just not as worthless as the gop

I'm not saying they're much better, and many just run off of "were not the racists and homophobes" but there's at least something to work from here.

13 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

This. The GOP have demonstrated that they are willing to make concessions to unify growing non-establishment wings to win and get to do enough of what they want to do rather than nothing. They successfully absorbed the Tea Party by tossing them enough to make them feel heard while the Democrats are fighting the progressive wing tooth and nail. They recognize that politics is soft war and are more ready to kill.

10 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm not familiar with them. What makes them so bad? 

merlin_172207140_9bd124fb-df25-4d6e-9dde
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The nation must restore order. The military stands ready.

Real glad this guy has no personality, same with Hawley

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Someone with no personality can still win if the other side also nominates someone with no personality (see: Stephen Harper becoming PM against Paul Martin, Stephane Dion, and Michael Ignatieff). 

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm not familiar with them. What makes them so bad? 

Cotton is the one that was advocating Trump roll the military through American cities and crush the protests over the Summer like an Iraqi insurgency.

He's disturbing because he is one of the people that seems to look at the wide array of things we call "Trumpism" and while others see "economic populism", racism, or some other thing as the "secret sauce" of what you need to carry on "Trumpism without Trump" Cottom seems to think authoritarianism is not just a byproduct, but perhaps the key to making it work.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yeah, I am more worried about the concept of a "smart Trump" than I am the reality of it.

In reality, there seems to be a bit of an "idiot whisperer" type catch-22 for the GOP. Parts of the Trump coalition, particularly the dumb, poor, white are drawn to Trump because of his ability to speak their language. The "smart" ones have not yet figured out how to fake that.