Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, it’s just not very good, though. 

What specifically did you not like about it? 

Again it's my 2nd favorite in the series and my only real complaint is that the story kind of goes a bit off the rails near the end. It's a nearly perfect game and the only complaint I ever see/hear is "Squall sucks" or that he's emo or some other bullshit.

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

What specifically did you not like about it? 

Again it's my 2nd favorite in the series and my only real complaint is that the story kind of goes a bit off the rails near the end. It's a nearly perfect game and the only complaint I ever see/hear is "Squall sucks" or that he's emo or some other bullshit.

It had weird pacing, villains weren’t interesting, i hated the draw system, wasn’t fond of the orphanage backstory.  Spent too much time on making squall even moee brooding than cloud for a payoff that came way too late..

theres things I do like.  The world is interesting and i did like the graphics. I liked the idea of SEED, but not the execution. A school to train spec ops is interesting, what they did with it is not. The Ragnarok is a badass ship. 

the ending of Disk 1 was cool. 

I really should replay it, after 1-6. I did 7 and 9 already.

13 and it’s sequels are the only ones I refuse to play again. Its an awful experience that I felt compelled to do once.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Xo9FkEU.gif

I was going to post this gif and be all excited like, "LET'S FUCKING GO ONE MONTH" but today I have found out that the preview builds being sent out have a no good rotten thing going on. Something unforgivable for a AAA game that is also cocksuckingly stuck on the PS5. 30 FPS during exploration and 60 FPS during combat. Not sure if that's how it will be at release but that's honestly enough to dock it 2 points if true. If this was a turned-based RPG with transition screens maybe it wouldn't be a big deal, but I don't want the game suddenly launching to 60fps and then having it drop like a sack of bricks right after.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Xo9FkEU.gif

I was going to post this gif and be all excited like, "LET'S FUCKING GO ONE MONTH" but today I have found out that the preview builds being sent out have a no good rotten thing going on. Something unforgivable for a AAA game that is also cocksuckingly stuck on the PS5. 30 FPS during exploration and 60 FPS during combat. Not sure if that's how it will be at release but that's honestly enough to dock it 2 points if true. If this was a turned-based RPG with transition screens maybe it wouldn't be a big deal, but I don't want the game suddenly launching to 60fps and then having it drop like a sack of bricks right after.

Bla bla bla. As long as it runs well at its intended framerate, I don’t care. 

and apparently there is both quality and performance mode, and they were probably playing quality mode.

• Halal 1

Just now, BloodyHell said:

performance mode

this was the performance mode

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Bla bla bla. As long as it runs well at its intended framerate, I don’t care. 

"I will accept garbage without complaint"

par for the course

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Xo9FkEU.gif

Just one year and one month to go!

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

this was the performance mode

"I will accept garbage without complaint"

par for the course

I mean, if it runs as intended, it’s not garbage. 60fps combat is more than enough. 30 running around the world is fine. Would I prefer 60? Sure. But TotK proves it just isn’t necessary.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bacon said:

OK Apoc.

Awww, he’s mad.

seriously, your complaints come across as ridiculous. “Two points off”

sure. Zelda got high 90’s and barely hits 30 have the time. Framerate is nice, but as long as it’s steady, nobody will mind (except you).

15 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Awww, he’s mad.

If I was mad I'd just type out three letters starting with K that would result in me getting banned.

You have always defended shit like this, even as Apoc. Hardly worth getting mad about. And like, you are the one strangely bringing up Zelda here. Do you feel the need to defend it across threads or something? As I said earlier, par for the course.

And if you want to talk about who's mad or not, you responded to Apoc lol.

Who cares if it’s how they intend it lol. Devs make mistakes all the time. Swapping between 30fps and 60fps sucks and is going to be constantly jarring if that’s really how it ships. I’ve considered playing this on ps5 at launch but if performance mode is 30fps for exploration I’m waiting that year for pc for sure.

And since Zelda is well received and 30fps (though I play it at 60fps because f that) should we scale everything back too? Get rid of full voice acting, have super low res textures/shadows/ao, get a nice solid dynamic 900p resolution, pretty much get rid of AF, have a nice low lod on everything, use fsr1 to make everything blurry, etc etc. Why not go all the way if it doesn’t matter as long as the graphics are as good as Zelda?

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Swapping between 30fps and 60fps sucks and is going to be constantly jarring

Yeah, this is what bothers me about the decision. If that is how it ships I'll just be wishing I had a 4K HDR tv to take advantage of the quality mode. I'd prefer if the game would just keep taking quality hits to get it to 60fps. That's what I do with my 2016 built PC that rocks a 1070. Shit, I got an old TV that 720p would look great on.

Just now, Bacon said:

Yeah, this is what bothers me about the decision. If that is how it ships I'll just be wishing I had a 4K HDR tv to take advantage of the quality mode. I'd prefer if the game would just keep taking quality hits to get it to 60fps. That's what I do with my 2016 built PC that rocks a 1070. Shit, I got an old TV that 720p would look great on.

Tales of Vesperia did this on switch and it wasn’t good then and this will be much worse than that since there is more real 3D movement and camera panning in the exploration. And that was at least turn based so it transitioned better. 

Hopefully that’s just the way it is now because they are still optimizing for the ps5 cpu. I’d rather play 30 than 30/60 though, the moments of playing at 60fps will make sure you never get used to how sluggish 30fps is.

I wouldn't mind the boost during big boss fights, but I really don't want the game to be spiking out on the field just because I entered combat, especially if I wasn't intending to trigger combat and then the game just shoots up. I don't know how many times I have aggro'd a mob in WoW or FF14 while mounted, just going from point A to point B. It'd be nuts if the FPS behaved like that in those games.

Edit: Makes me wonder if combat will be triggered while riding a Chocobo. Historically, they prevent random encounters so they might prevent combat from triggering while mounted. It would help keep the game running smoothly.

Wait...60fps in combat and 30 for exploration? Wtf is that shit? Stick with one framerate. I honestly don't mind 30fps because I played Jedi Survivor that way and was completely fine with it. Same with Zelda but I'd like a standard performance mode that aims for 60 in both combat and exploration. This is weird. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Wait...60fps in combat and 30 for exploration? Wtf is that shit? Stick with one framerate. I honestly don't mind 30fps because I played Jedi Survivor that way and was completely fine with it. Same with Zelda but I'd like a standard performance mode that aims for 60 in both combat and exploration. This is weird. 

Well, it might be fine on release. Just, the most recent previews had the weird split on performance in some of the builds while others were locked to 30. No one yet has mentioned a solid 60 mode.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Even if it wasnt who tf cares?

Me. It's why I posted about it. I tend to care about these things if you haven't noticed, and I like to talk/complain about it in places where I can talk about video games and express my opinions on things related to gaming.

If nobody specifically pointed it out 99.9% of people wouldnt notice.

I would notice and that's what matters to me. If you can't notice then good(?) for you.

As long as combat doesnt drop below 60 it's going to be buttery smooth.

Dropping from 60 to 30 is not what I'd call buttery smooth.

AFAIA, a 60 FPS mode has not been confirmed. During the Pax East panel, they showed off that the game has a "Frame Rate" setting and a "Graphics" setting, but did not mention specific numbers at that time. In fact, the frame rate setting was mentioned as "focusing more on frame rate". I have seen articles claiming that the game will run in 60 FPS using this panel as the source and the source doesn't even claim that. Unless there is an actual quote from Yoshi-P elsewhere, a solid 60 has yet to be confirmed.

• Halal 1

If it bothers you that much I don't see how you can play much of anything, a lot of games still cant even run at a locked 30. I like playing at 165fps but 60 does the job just fine. You can complain about it if you want to but I don't think you'll ever be happy because developers are always going to be pushing the limits of hardware and graphical fidelity which will always come at expense of performance.

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

8 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

I don't see how you can play much of anything, a lot of games still cant even run at a locked 30.

I actually don't play a lot of games outside of my PC. When I play on console, it's because there isn't another option. I don't consider PC a valid option for FF16 at this time. GOWR had a targeted 60FPS mode and I think that was the newest AAA game I played on console. IIRC, RE4's Frate mode was solid as well on console.