Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

20 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

This is, in fact, what I want from them though. So they’re listening to some of us 😉

I recommend playing real action games made by companies good at making them. You'll enjoy them a lot more than this half-assed bullshit.

• Guillotine 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I recommend playing real action games made by companies good at making them. You'll enjoy them a lot more than this half-assed bullshit.

Nope, this is the one I like. Great game. Your crystal ball must be broken. Mine seems to be working just fine. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Nope, this is the one I like. Great game. Your crystal ball must be broken. Mine seems to be working just fine. 

I don't need a crystal ball to see Square Enix's long history of being shitty at making action games.

Hell, the vast majority of their output is typically total trash. They get a few occasional good or great games then spend half a decade shitting their pants.

SE has really only blundered with 13-15 and fixed 14 to be one of the best FF of them all (imo). Tho, Square is the one who brought the Ws. SE has been pretty unsuccessful.

Still, too early to be shitting on a combat system you haven't played :shrug:

The rest of the trash they put out is irrelevant to me.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

SE has really only blundered with 13-15 and fixed 14 to be one of the best FF of them all (imo). Tho, Square is the one who brought the Ws. SE has been pretty unsuccessful.

Still, too early to be shitting on a combat system you haven't played :shrug:

The rest of the trash they put out is irrelevant to me.

13 was a good game beyond linearity and lack of good post-game content, anyone arguing the combat is bad has never played it. Their excuse for making 13-2 and Lightning Returns was "Japanese people love lightning!" but we all know it's because they were badly struggling financially and needed to reuse assets.

15 was a mess again due in large part to financial issues as well as having no vision and being scrapped and rewritten a billion times. It was in development for 10 TEN! FREAKING YEARS! That is never a good sign.

The most recent things they've released 7 Remake and all the 14 DLCs have been massive critical and commercial successes, how many games do they need to make before they're considered a good developer again? If you think 16 is going to be bad you're just wrong, it will be a GOTY contender. 

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

If you think 16 is going to be bad you're just wrong, it will be a GOTY contender. 

Is this statement directed to me specifically or...? Cuz like, I'm a big fan of ff14 and really looking forward to 16 because of 14.

28 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Is this statement directed to me specifically or...? Cuz like, I'm a big fan of ff14 and really looking forward to 16 because of 14.

No sorry just directed at all the hate in this thread. I only quoted you because you said 13 was a blunder which I disagree with. 13 was disappointing mainly because the high standards set by its predecessors it's a good game that just didn't live up to its full potential. 

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I don't need a crystal ball to see Square Enix's long history of being shitty at making action games.

Hell, the vast majority of their output is typically total trash. They get a few occasional good or great games then spend half a decade shitting their pants.

Yeah, except they brought in a proper combat designer to do it right. 

Also, 7R had great combat as well. 

4 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

No sorry just directed at all the hate in this thread. I only quoted you because you said 13 was a blunder which I disagree with. 13 was disappointing mainly because the high standards set by its predecessors it's a good game that just didn't live up to its full potential. 

XIII was not a good game, imo it was awful. Definitely the worst in the series, and not a game I'd recommend to anyone, even if they like JRPG's.

This looks incredible though. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

XIII was not a good game, imo it was awful. Definitely the worst in the series, and not a game I'd recommend to anyone, even if they like JRPG's.

This looks incredible though. 

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/final-fantasy-xiii

83% and even if you want to go by user score it's still 7.1 (and that includes a lot of 0/10's from angry nerds).  It's a solid game it was just very disappointing given the incredible precedent other games in the series had set. 

A lot of people also say FF8 sucked and I will fight them to the death because that's my 2nd favorite in the series and one of my top 10 favorite games period.

27 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

13 was decent in my book.  Battle system and visuals are incredible.  But the linearity, cringe VO and jibberish plot drag it down. 

Jibberish plot and bad VO  are just expected for a JRPG, when you play one that doesn't have a terrible story it's a pleasant surprise. 7 and 12 are the only ones that had a good story IMO. Definitely agree on the linearity though, by far my biggest gripe, the world just wasn't fleshed out enough.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Jibberish plot and bad VO  are just expected for a JRPG, when you play one that doesn't have a terrible story it's a pleasant surprise. 7 and 12 are the only ones that had a good story IMO. Definitely agree on the linearity though, by far my biggest gripe, the world just wasn't fleshed out enough.

FF13 was on another level IMO.  Fal’ce.  L’cie. Hope and Vanille’s VO and general demeanor.  Its worse than a Tales game with the cringe and convoluted names.

I think its characters and naming conventions actively get in the way of the story it tries to tell. 

As someone who often values the Story over everything else, FF13 was the only FF I quit because of the story. Honestly, don't remember jack about FF13 but it was one of the few games I just gave up on willingly. And as someone who says open world is a meme, the linear levels never bothered me.

• Thanks 1

Appealing to previews (always super accurate) and then going down the rabbit hole of revisionist history calling FF13 "great" and I think I saw the words "the combat was incredible" is pretty much all I needed to read here. FF fans are fucking delusional.

Also, I love FF14 as well, but holy shit the combat in that game is not something I'd call anything more than "acceptable." FF7R's combat is probably the best realtime combat they've ever done and it's like a low B-tier action game at absolute best, yet was lauded as absolutely incredible. It's like a bunch of turn-based JRPG fans being introduced to mediocre action combat for the first time being wowed by absolutely nothing special + lots of sparkly lights.

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Appealing to previews (always super accurate) and then going down the rabbit hole of revisionist history calling FF13 "great" and I think I saw the words "the combat was incredible" is pretty much all I needed to read here. FF fans are fucking delusional.

Also, I love FF14 as well, but holy shit the combat in that game is not something I'd call anything more than "acceptable." FF7R's combat is probably the best realtime combat they've ever done and it's like a low B-tier action game at absolute best, yet was lauded as absolutely incredible. It's like a bunch of turn-based JRPG fans being introduced to mediocre action combat for the first time being wowed by absolutely nothing special + lots of sparkly lights.

This is rich coming from the guy who wrote a god damn novel about how amazing octopath 2 is.

• Haha 1

I do think it's weird how yer shittin' all over the combat of XVI tho. This is coming from someone who isn't even excited about the combat. Aside from it not being a combat style that I like, the only part that I wished looked better are the particle effects. It's like watching a welder weld in a blizzard.

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

FFXIII was just OK as a game. As a FF game it was truly disappointing. The fact that it became a trilogy was even more baffling. 

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

People are mad horny for Lightning.

No other Final Fantasy game had a character that could sell a Louis Vuitton handbag

• Haha 1
  • True 1

12 hours ago, Bacon said:

As someone who often values the Story over everything else, FF13 was the only FF I quit because of the story. Honestly, don't remember jack about FF13 but it was one of the few games I just gave up on willingly. And as someone who says open world is a meme, the linear levels never bothered me.

Square produced a plot synopsis in 16-bit style as a marketing stunt for Lightning Returns.  It's still a jumbled up plot, but its a better way to experience the story (in 4 minutes) than the actual game.

I want this done for every modern FF post 6.

• Halal 1

12 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean, I'm an FF fan, and I neither think FFXIII is great (or even worth playing), or that it had great combat. I think it was awful start to finish. FFXIII is an awful game. FFVIII is also not a very good game, but it's far better than XIII, in almost every way except maybe artistic design. This is actually the first time I've heard it praised. I don't care about its metacritic, reviewers are known for using half the scale, and I'm sure half the user reviews are by fanboys who give it a 10. It' s just a bad game. Like Bacon, it's the first FF I didn't finish at launch. I did beat it, but it took like two years of playing 20 minutes here and there. 

I take previews from the few reviewers I trust, like ACG. But to keep hammering on the combat being just shiny lights is BS. The combat designer is one of the best in gaming, and It looks far better than anything in previous mainline games. 

I thought XIII was exceptionally mid. I've played it twice and quit at the exact same spot both times.

XV is frustrating because it's like 75% of a great game. I had a fucking blast with the "bros hangin' out on the road" part of the game, but the game completely falls apart in the last act. Not to mention the "want to know what [x] character was doing? tune in to next week's DLC!"

FF7R was... solid. I had fun. Am I looking forward to the next one? Absolutely. Am I ever going to play the first one again? Not likely.

Final Fantasy games have been trending upward since the shitshow that was Square Enix's internal development shitshow from like 2005-2012. I don't see any reason to expect that FFXVI won't at least be pretty good.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

All I'll say is that Final Fantasy XVI is the FIRST Final Fantasy since VII that I will not only buy at launch, but I'll beat. I LOVED Final Fantasy VII and then couldn't get into VIII or X (Don't even REMEMBER XIII was there one?) I stopped trying after that.

Yeah, Squall, Rinoa, Quistis, Seifer, the witch. It's been an extremely long time since I replayed it, it's by far the worst of the Playstation games. I personally feel IX was the best and is greatly overlooked. 

Edit: You asked if there was XIII (13)? Yes, it was an awful game. You spent 80% running down straight hallways fighting Final Fantasy monsters. Has an awful story, but an ok combat system. There is also XIII-2 which is also a bad game with a "Dress system", and XIII-2 Lighning Returns which is definitely a better game than the other two, but not a great one. 

46 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, Squall, Rinoa, Quistis, Seifer, the witch. It's been an extremely long time since I replayed it, it's by far the worst of the Playstation games. I personally feel IX was the best and is greatly overlooked. 

As someone who beat FF9 recently, I think it’s more of a chore of a game than FF7 was, even with the speed boosters in modern ports.  I really liked the way it goes off the rails by the end, but I do think 4,6,7, maybe even 5 are better games.  Never played 8, but I’m not really excited to after how slow 9 felt to me.

Modern FF is a blind spot for me.  I’ve only played and beat 13.  X is on my list to get around to eventually.

7 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

As someone who beat FF9 recently, I think it’s more of a chore of a game than FF7 was, even with the speed boosters in modern ports.  I really liked the way it goes off the rails by the end, but I do think 4,6,7, maybe even 5 are better games.  Never played 8, but I’m not really excited to after how slow 9 felt to me.

Modern FF is a blind spot for me.  I’ve only played and beat 13.  X is on my list to get around to eventually.

Oh, 4-6 were absolutely better, that’s why I was clear I was speaking about the PS Final Fantasy’s. I’ve played 9 many times, I love it, and it certainly never felt slow to me.