Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Well when you continually try to downplay any dissenting opinions as "in the severe minority" or "everyone disagrees with you" it comes across a lot like "and therefore your opinion matters less," which is completely unnecessary to even imply. If I was at a Dave Matthews Band concert (because I was kidnapped or something?) my opinion that Dave Matthews Band sucks ass would be in the severe minority, but everyone there telling me how deep Gravedigger is would not make me like the band even one iota more! We'd all just have to agree to disagree and they'd have to agree that Dave Matthews Band sucks.

Lol, I got ya. What was your opinion on FF 7 remake? I have it downloaded and ready to play after I'm done with 16. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Lol, I got ya. What was your opinion on FF 7 remake? I have it downloaded and ready to play after I'm done with 16. 

Hm... Well, I was never the biggest fan of FF7 (the original) because FF6 felt so much more coherent and less cheesy. For example, when playing the demo for 7 at the tender age of nine, the idea that the main character's actual name was "Cloud Strife" was so fucking unbelievably stupid to me that I pronounced his first name as "Claude" for years because "Cloud" was the dumbest shit I'd ever heard and combined with "Strife" it was just unbearable.

Anyway, that said, I did like the 7 Remake for the most part. The ability to switch between party members is a welcome difference from 16 and overall I think I like most of the music more than 16. Don't get me wrong, 16 has some amazing tracks, but only a few of them really do it for me, many feel like generic "epic" music, whereas FF7R's music is all super distinctly FF7. I like it when games have music that is easy to identify as part of that experience.

My main issues with the remake were down to the absolutely stupid fucking ending (which was just a tortured way to say 'okay we're doing things different') and the fact that it split a complete story up into, at the time, who knows how many titles.

Aside from those two issues, I mostly liked it. Like with FF16 I don't think the combat was incredible but it didn't offend me or anything, and it was flashy but I could still see what was happening. The characters got a massive dose of personality steroids compared to the original, in which they were all quite simple, so that tremendously helped the game just express itself better. I just hope they don't stretch out another 2-5 hour section of the original into a 40+ hour title again.

51 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

CLOUD IS NOT A NAME

Yes, it is. It is the name for a visible mass of condensed water vapor floating in the atmosphere.

Now, may I introduce you to Squall and Lightning? Mayhap you have heard of Cyan and Red XIII?

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I went to high school with a girl whose legal name was "Sunshine". I can only imagine how much pot her parents smoked in the 60s or 70s. :daydream:

To quote George Costanza you think people loved the name Blanche the first time they heard it? It's a fantastical, mythical RPG set in a highly exaggerated world. Of course they need to have jarring names. You telling me you're gonna be on board with a dude with a 7 foot sword with DBZ level abilities named Jeff? Naw. But Cloud works

• True 1

38 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yes, it is. It is the name for a visible mass of condensed water vapor floating in the atmosphere.

Now, may I introduce you to Squall and Lightning? Mayhap you have heard of Cyan and Red XIII?

It's not just Cloud. It's Cloud Strife.

Cloud fucking Strife.

Goddamn it's so stupid it still makes my head hurt. It's like what a slow fifth grader would name their Sonic OC.

4 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

To quote George Costanza you think people loved the name Blanche the first time they heard it? It's a fantastical, mythical RPG set in a highly exaggerated world. Of course they need to have jarring names. You telling me you're gonna be on board with a dude with a 7 foot sword with DBZ level abilities named Jeff? Naw. But Cloud works

We just had one named Clive!

Also Sephiroth is a perfectly acceptable name for a dude with a 7 foot sword and DBZ level abilities. Lots of characters have dumb but acceptable names, AND CLOUD STRIFE WILL NEVER BE ONE! Never!

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean, the two reviews I listened to while on my nightly walk yesterday seemed to line up pretty much word-for-word with what I think, except they both enjoy spectacle more than I do so they liked that part more.

Second video absolutely has spoilers.

Anyway, I've watched the first guy play FFXIV on occasion so I'm familiar with him, bottom guy I like watching Dead by Daylight content of all things (he also does From Software stuff) and neither is really the type to normally review a game. I think they're worth a listen if you want to understand opinions besides "I need everyone to love this game to justify my love of it" which is a silly stance.

First review is good. 2nd reviewer opinion is immediately invalidated for not liking 12 for having "annoying characters" 0 chance he played more than a few hours. Not liking it is fine but 12 has the best characters/story/voice acting in the series.

4 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

First review is good. 2nd reviewer opinion is immediately invalidated for not liking 12 for having "annoying characters" 0 chance he played more than a few hours. Not liking it is fine but 12 has the best characters/story/voice acting in the series.

He very clearly stated Vaan and Penelo as the characters he didn't like, and he's extremely correct. 

42 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

We just had one named Clive!

Also Sephiroth is a perfectly acceptable name for a dude with a 7 foot sword and DBZ level abilities. Lots of characters have dumb but acceptable names, AND CLOUD STRIFE WILL NEVER BE ONE! Never!

Yeah but it was the 90s. Not much made sense entertainment wise. But yeah, Clive is a big departure from Cloud, Squall, Lightning, Zidane, Milkweed or whatever the FF15 main character was called

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

He very clearly stated Vaan and Penelo as the characters he didn't like, and he's extremely correct. 

Not liking the entire game because of 2 mostly ancillary characters (beyond the first 5-10 hours) is a pretty horrible reasoning. That's especially true when all the other characters are so good.

10 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Agreed. And IMO It was probably the most mature story an FF had up to that point. But it did have some cringy characters 

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Not liking the entire game because of 2 mostly ancillary characters (beyond the first 5-10 hours) is a pretty horrible reasoning. That's especially true when all the other characters are so good.

I totally get not wanting to engage with a game because the characters the game focuses on for the first several, SEVERAL hours are just little annoying shits.

I think for me that Eikon fight was probably the best in terms of spectacle, music and gameplay. The next one's pretty close, and then sadly I think it gets real disappointing after that before picking up again at the very end.

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Hm... Well, I was never the biggest fan of FF7 (the original) because FF6 felt so much more coherent and less cheesy. For example, when playing the demo for 7 at the tender age of nine, the idea that the main character's actual name was "Cloud Strife" was so fucking unbelievably stupid to me that I pronounced his first name as "Claude" for years because "Cloud" was the dumbest shit I'd ever heard and combined with "Strife" it was just unbearable.

You think Cloud is a bad name but Claude is a good name? What a backwards ass 9 year old! :silly:

54 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I think for me that Eikon fight was probably the best in terms of spectacle, music and gameplay. The next one's pretty close, and then sadly I think it gets real disappointing after that before picking up again at the very end.

I haven't finished the game, but have all Eikons now. From those,

Spoiler

I thought Bahamut was easily the most spectacle. You join with your brother into an uber Eikon, fight Bahamut in space, and power slam through his giant planet killing death ray by raging hard enough.

In the second (but not final) Odin fight, him splitting the sea and fighting on the bottom was pretty clutch too.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You think Cloud is a bad name but Claude is a good name? What a backwards ass 9 year old! :silly:

Claude is a real name, so yes!

4 minutes ago, legend said:

I haven't finished the game, but have all Eikons now. From those,

Hide contents

I thought Bahamut was easily the most spectacle. You join with your brother into an uber Eikon, fight Bahamut in space, and power slam through his giant planet killing death ray by raging hard enough.

In the second (but not final) Odin fight, him splitting the sea and fighting on the bottom was pretty clutch too.

Spoiler

For me Bahamut was flashy anime nonsense in a bad way, while Titan was flashy anime nonsense that was... what's the word... not as DBZ? When power levels get to the point of beam struggles and shit I'm checked out. I think everything about the Titan fight was much more coherent and grounded (haha) -- not grounded as in realistic, but as in I could follow and understand it without a bunch of silly woo woo magic and shit. You run up his big sex tentacles and punch him in the face until he dies. You don't go to space and shoot him before he blows up the world. 

As for Odin... there was no Eikon fight. It was just him splitting the sea which was visually interesting if a bit trite, then when you finally get to fight him it's 99% human form, despite them building it up for hours and hours. 

• Haha 1

Can’t wait to get home from work and play more of this game. It truly is an amazing story. Unlike some I never grow tired of the combat. I like switching up my abilities and destroying enemies. The game does an excellent job of making you feel like a powerful bad ass. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I should have the main story wrapped by this weekend. I think I'm only 3 chapters away now, but I'm cleaning up all of the hunts before proceeding. At Level 47, I feel like I'm more then good to finish up. 

50 is the level cap on the first playthrough so yeah you should be fine.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Can’t wait to get home from work and play more of this game. It truly is an amazing story. Unlike some I never grow tired of the combat. I like switching up my abilities and destroying enemies. The game does an excellent job of making you feel like a powerful bad ass. 

Yep. I'm eager to get home today to continue on because I'm at an interesting section. 

Just now, Biggie said:

With all these hot mid-evil chicks running around I can’t wait for Clive to unlock the Hit it and Quit it ability. 

I actually think Anabella Rosfield (Empress of Sanbreque) is really good looking for a videogame. She's a bitch but hot. 

• True 1