The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

na even vic is done with that madness, sli was the WORST. rumors are for pretty big gains for the 4000 series (even if it’s going to slurp power to do it) so this is of course a waste with that on the horizon probably later this year.

• True 1

Just now, stepee said:

na even vic is done with that madness, sli was the WORST. rumors are for pretty big gains for the 4000 series (even if it’s going to slurp power to do it) so this is of course a waste with that on the horizon probably later this year.

You say that but…

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

it IS almost time to start chasing that 8k dragon..

The new GPU fiscal model is paying $1 per K of performance. The 4090 Ti will retail for $8K and will deliver. It will also render Alan Wake at frame rates so high that players will immediately go blind.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The new GPU fiscal model is paying $1 per K of performance. The 4090 Ti will retail for $8K and will deliver. It will also render Alan Wake at frame rates so high that players will immediately go blind.

So with dlss do you pay the native internal res? That could be quite the savings!

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

So with dlss do you pay the native internal res? That could be quite the savings!

The real savings comes at the point where your system becomes a perpetual motion machine.

Rendering at 8K / 120+ fps, your system puts off a lot of heat. You use the exhaust to power micro windmills that generate power. You use that power to run your system. Then you take your house off the fucking grid and coast.

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

Here's the thing. They actually have to release games to make the purchase worth it. I FULLY recognize that my history gives you little faith that I'll hold to this logic, but, we are living in a time of great delay and frankly I can run anything at 60FPS, and with a little tweaking most games run 100+ fps. So there is VERY little incentive to latch on to 10% more power. Additionally, SLI is dead. And, despite what the SLI community said, it kind had been dead for years before it officially died. I'm going to sit on my 3090 until I can get a 4090 and that's it. Then there is 8K. I'm not moving to 8K until 65" OLED panels are sub $4,000. I happy to pay 3500 for a high quality 8K OLED, as I see that as being very balanced pairing with the 5090's roll out in 2024. But who knows, that could be a money pox pandemic away! Point is, PC is in a valley of diminished returns right now. We are still a full 2 years away from a matured understanding and implementation of UE5 and rival next gen engines. 8K TVs are crazy expensive unless you are willing to get a non-OLED, and I'm not. So here I am, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for Dragon Age Dread Wolf to disappoint me in 2024 and dreaming of the next Elder Scrolls, which I assume will land in 2026. In the meanwhile, the only thing exciting is Direct Storage, which will start hitting games (Forspoken being the first) on PC this fall.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I forget where I read it, but top-end CPU + GPU combos are starting to reach the limit of US power outlets

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Here's the thing. They actually have to release games to make the purchase worth it. I FULLY recognize that my history gives you little faith that I'll hold to this logic, but, we are living in a time of great delay and frankly I can run anything at 60FPS, and with a little tweaking most games run 100+ fps. So there is VERY little incentive to latch on to 10% more power. Additionally, SLI is dead. And, despite what the SLI community said, it kind had been dead for years before it officially died. I'm going to sit on my 3090 until I can get a 4090 and that's it. Then there is 8K. I'm not moving to 8K until 65" OLED panels are sub $4,000. I happy to pay 3500 for a high quality 8K OLED, as I see that as being very balanced pairing with the 5090's roll out in 2024. But who knows, that could be a money pox pandemic away! Point is, PC is in a valley of diminished returns right now. We are still a full 2 years away from a matured understanding and implementation of UE5 and rival next gen engines. 8K TVs are crazy expensive unless you are willing to get a non-OLED, and I'm not. So here I am, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for Dragon Age Dread Wolf to disappoint me in 2024 and dreaming of the next Elder Scrolls, which I assume will land in 2026. In the meanwhile, the only thing exciting is Direct Storage, which will start hitting games (Forspoken being the first) on PC this fall.

Plus. SLI has about zero support now and is really regulated to user-made profiles (if you can find any) and older games. It's meant more for custom workstation projects at this point.

• Halal 1

50 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I forget where I read it, but top-end CPU + GPU combos are starting to reach the limit of US power outlets

Could be? 120v is about 120 watts per amp, most home circuits are on 15 or 20 amp breakers, so 1800/2400 watt capacity. You wouldn’t want to run near capacity all the time, so probably more like 1600/2200?

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Ughhh my mobo died or my RAM is bad. I think I'm gonna order some new RAM to see if that fixes it. Otherwise I guess I should just wait for Zen 4 but those DDR5 prices.

Corsair had DDR5 on sale the other day and I didn’t pounce since my previous attempts to get the FE were failures and I didn’t think paying up for the 12GB or other flavors of the 3080 had a good enough price / feature ratio. Alas.

• 2 weeks later...
2022-06-14-ts3_thumbs-781.jpg
WWW.TECHSPOT.COM

This week, VentureBeat's interview with AMD senior vice president Sam Naffziger included visuals showing the company's predictions for near-future hardware. While Naffziger expresses confidence AMD can hit...

Imma @Mr.Vic20 to support my playboy nerd lifestyle so I can dedicate myself full time to fusion reactor development.

• Haha 1