The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

Queue for evga 3080ti ftw3 is finally up to 8:02am on morning of release it seems. Just 39 minutes more until I should be able to get one! Idk how many were ordered in those 39 minutes but hopefully just a few more months.

As long as selling the 3080 on ebay still allows me to get this without spending extra I’ll do it still even though the performance  difference isn’t much at all.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Since it was impossible to get these glad I "waited" to get the newer ones

Nvidia-GPU-factory.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Graphics cards are still in short supply, but factories in Taiwan are already preparing to produce Nvidia's next-gen Geforce RTX 4000 GPUs

I hope this means better supply of GPUs in 2022, but I'm not too optimistic. 

Wait, I thought both were GPU's? Anyways, I think I'm gonna go with the 3060ti setup. After watching some comparison videos on Youtube, the 3060 series supports 4K and Ray Tracing and pretty much does everything better than the Ryzen. One guy said to overclock it right away, and others said don't. So I'm a little confused there. But thanks for the replies :peace:

2 hours ago, nublood said:

Wait, I thought both were GPU's? Anyways, I think I'm gonna go with the 3060ti setup. After watching some comparison videos on Youtube, the 3060 series supports 4K and Ray Tracing and pretty much does everything better than the Ryzen. One guy said to overclock it right away, and others said don't. So I'm a little confused there. But thanks for the replies :peace:

Ryzen is a CPU, not a GPU. I'm still not sure what GPU you're comparing the 3060 Ti to, but the 3060 Ti is a fine card, however, it's best for 1080p-1440p in most games. 

18 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Ryzen is a CPU, not a GPU. I'm still not sure what GPU you're comparing the 3060 Ti to, but the 3060 Ti is a fine card, however, it's best for 1080p-1440p in most games. 

Yep, you are correct. My bad. The other one had a AMD RX 570. So yea, this was a no brainer. lol

I was watching some comparison videos last night and the 3060ti was averaging 60-100 fps on games like Horizon Dawn, Tomb Raider, RDR2, and Battlefield 5 at high to ultra settings. The 570 however, was only averaging about 10-30 fps on similar to lower settings. So yea, there really is no comparison. I know the 3060ti is not the best out there by far. But this is gonna be a huge upgrade for him imo. I'm stoked for him!

7 minutes ago, nublood said:

I was watching some comparison videos last night and the 3060ti was averaging 60-100 fps on games like Horizon Dawn, Tomb Raider, RDR2, and Battlefield 5 at high to ultra settings. The 570 however, was only averaging about 10-30 fps on similar to lower settings. So yea, there really is no comparison. I know the 3060ti is not the best out there by far. But this is gonna be a huge upgrade for him imo. I'm stoked for him!

It's a solid upgrade. Plus even if say you have your heart set on a 3080 or 3090 it's better to get a 3060 if you can find it as MSRP.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I have no faith that they can squeeze much more out of the 3xxx series, and so I will wait for the 4xxx series to make the jump. Maybe that will actually be available in some reasonable numbers. 

Are you on a 2xxx, like a pleb?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

My microcenter has all of the cards in stock, just 3-4x the msrp lol fuck them.

I'd almost jump on a 6900XT OC but it's most likely not worth. I take Vic's approach in that once you are in a higher end SKU the other models don't justify dumping you existing card and upgrading. Gonna wait for the 40xx and the Radeon 7xxx series to see what to get.

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I have no faith that they can squeeze much more out of the 3xxx series, and so I will wait for the 4xxx series to make the jump. Maybe that will actually be available in some reasonable numbers. 

Yeah, I'm sticking with my 3090 FE until the 4090 drops.

I planned a ground up build late 2022 anyway. This I79700k / 2080Ti has been a great PC and really holds up well and though it should. I love new tech and have enjoyed watching and reading all the hype around these cards but It was an easy pass as I have never upgraded from one year to the next. This PC was 3k and has given me a wonderful 2+ years. When we can just buy a 3080ti I'm on board and am excited to watch the shit show all over again...lol Theoretically a 4080Ti could as much as 65-75% faster that's humbling! I might even have to find a way to integrate the new pc into my Livingroom hooked p to the LGC1 83"! Seriously though, the LGcX has been a great gaming PC monitor too.

45 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I planned a ground up build late 2022 anyway. This I79700k / 2080Ti has been a great PC and really holds up well and though it should. I love new tech and have enjoyed watching and reading all the hype around these cards but It was an easy pass as I have never upgraded from one year to the next. This PC was 3k and has given me a wonderful 2+ years. When we can just buy a 3080ti I'm on board and am excited to watch the shit show all over again...lol Theoretically a 4080Ti could as much as 65-75% faster that's humbling! I might even have to find a way to integrate the new pc into my Livingroom hooked p to the LGC1 83"! Seriously though, the LGcX has been a great gaming PC monitor too.

Dude, that's a baller PC imo. I wouldn't touch that thing for at least another 2 years, but I'm more of a mid-range PC Gamer, so preferences vary. Sounds like you game in 4k? You aim for 60fps, 120fps, or even higher?

58 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

4k and 32:9 ultrawide have me on the upgrade race again. I'll probably keep my CPU as is until Zen 5 or 6 but soon as I can buy a 7800 or 7900 XT I am there.

*hides in corner with 1080p 16:9 60hz PC Gaming*

:p

Truth be told, I'd like to dive into 1440p gaming, specifically 21:9 1440p gaming as I feel that's a good balance in terms of resolution, and required horsepower, plus how it's being implemented in more games natively. 120hz gaming would also be nice, but again, horsepower requirements at 1440p ultrawide. One day maybe...

1 hour ago, imthesoldier said:

Dude, that's a baller PC imo. I wouldn't touch that thing for at least another 2 years, but I'm more of a mid-range PC Gamer, so preferences vary. Sounds like you game in 4k? You aim for 60fps, 120fps, or even higher?

I BuiId them "USUALLY" average every 3 years, usually all brand new nothing reused. I have given old ones to family, sold a few and parted a few over the last 20+ years. Only ever had one motherboard come DOA, and 1 GPU fail in less than that time. Been lucky so far.

This one was different as we lost everything in the 2018 camp fire {Everything I mean everything, town, jobs, our vehicles, our home of 25 years and every possession we ever had!} and I had just built a 1080Ti rig 5 months before. The folks on the board were great on advise on some parts, they talked me into saving some on the power supply "Still a 700 watt gold corsair, because it was white :nerd:" and only going 500gigs one operating system etc, instead of 1TB at the time. A few upgrades too, so tatal now is right at 3k I love it!

MY NEW PC

Bounce Back'n-forth really. If I want RTX then it's 1440p. Having the LGC series TV's with VRR is so sweet no more Vsync! 4k / 60+ - 1440p/120+ It really has outshined all my expectations by far. It's a modern beast, built buy me and 100% and I love it. It's silent almost all the time too. I have a h100i Cpu Cooler and the 2080Ti extreme amp edition Zotec 2080Ti is really so impressive. Custom fan curves for winter and summer 32 gig Corsair 3200 DDr4, 2x Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD's,  500gig for Operating system & 1Tb for gaming, also a 870 Evo 1Tb backup and gaming drive

1 hour ago, HardAct said:

I BuiId them "USUALLY" average every 3 years, usually all brand new nothing reused. I have given old ones to family, sold a few and parted a few over the last 20+ years. Only ever had one motherboard come DOA, and 1 GPU fail in less than that time. Been lucky so far.

This one was different as we lost everything in the 2018 camp fire {Everything I mean everything, town, jobs, our vehicles, our home of 25 years and every possession we ever had!} and I had just built a 1080Ti rig 5 months before. The folks on the board were great on advise on some parts, they talked me into saving some on the power supply "Still a 700 watt gold corsair, because it was white :nerd:" and only going 500gigs one operating system etc, instead of 1TB at the time. A few upgrades too, so tatal now is right at 3k I love it!

MY NEW PC

Bounce Back'n-forth really. If I want RTX then it's 1440p. Having the LGC series TV's with VRR is so sweet no more Vsync! 4k / 60+ - 1440p/120+ It really has outshined all my expectations by far. It's a modern beast, built buy me and 100% and I love it. It's silent almost all the time too. I have a h100i Cpu Cooler and the 2080Ti extreme amp edition Zotec 2080Ti is really so impressive. Custom fan curves for winter and summer 32 gig Corsair 3200 DDr4, 2x Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD's,  500gig for Operating system & 1Tb for gaming, also a 870 Evo 1Tb backup and gaming drive

:nerd:

18 hours ago, HardAct said:

MY NEW PC

Sorry to hear about the fire, but it sounds like everyone made it out safely? It sounds like you, your family, and your town are getting back on their feet?

We made it out, Paradise was the worst fire in California history, not in Acres but in homes and displacement. My wife and I along with all our friends and family there all survived. My wife and youngest daughter had the closest call to harm. We had no time to pack, just flee. over 14,000 homes lost, only 1300 have been rebuilt in 3 1/2 years. We ended up in Oregon starting over. I lost my job of 19+ years and my wife job of 26 years, that was the biggest hurdle. Netflix had a documentary on the Camp fire in paradise and Magalia California. Paradise was a complete and TOTAL loss and half of Magalia where we lived.

Of course in that time we lost our son to Cancer {He was 30 at the time, with 3 kids}, and then of course Covid, the loss of my dad to a heart attack, and my wife's dad just last month, this is what I meant when I said we have been "KICKED IN THE TEETH" the last 3 1/2 - 4 years. I'm humbled still we have our lives and a new home and complete new start but income wise losing Jobs like of that long each, we lost a lot "Income wise" starting over in a new state, still I'm so very grateful, I TRUELY AM. we have learned to be a bit more conservative and not take to much for granted and take one day at a time.

I thank you for your well wishes, I tend to rant like this at least once a year, you sparked the need to say it all again. Hoping I don't bother the boards with my story to much more in the near future, trust me they know it already!! I still thank the boards for just being here and there are some really compassionate and fine people in here there really are! 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, HardAct said:

We made it out, Paradise was the worst fire in California history, not in Acres but in homes and displacement. My wife and I along with all our friends and family there all survived. My wife and youngest daughter had the closest call to harm. We had no time to pack, just flee. over 14,000 homes lost, only 1300 have been rebuilt in 3 1/2 years. We ended up in Oregon starting over. I lost my job of 19+ years and my wife job of 26 years, that was the biggest hurdle. Netflix had a documentary on the Camp fire in paradise and Magalia California. Paradise was a complete and TOTAL loss and half of Magalia where we lived.

Of course in that time we lost our son to Cancer {He was 30 at the time, with 3 kids}, and then of course Covid, the loss of my dad to a heart attack, and my wife's dad just last month, this is what I meant when I said we have been "KICKED IN THE TEETH" the last 3 1/2 - 4 years. I'm humbled still we have our lives and a new home and complete new start but income wise losing Jobs like of that long each, we lost a lot "Income wise" starting over in a new state, still I'm so very grateful, I TRUELY AM. we have learned to be a bit more conservative and not take to much for granted and take one day at a time.

I thank you for your well wishes, I tend to rant like this at least once a year, you sparked the need to say it all again. Hoping I don't bother the boards with my story to much more in the near future, trust me they know it already!! I still thank the boards for just being here and there are some really compassionate and fine people in here there really are! 

Shit, man. I'm sorry to hear that about your Son, as well as Father, and FIL. I have no words really.