A Live Action Resident Evil TV Show adaption announced by Netflix

Brian

• 9 months later...
6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Lance Reddick as Wesker is kind of brilliant. And RE works far better as a TV series but after The Walking Dead and the upcoming The Last of Us and on and on haven't we had enough zombie stuff for awhile?

Those are serious zombie things, RE is silly Zombie stuff (if they even stick to zombie stuff)

On 6/11/2021 at 6:31 PM, EternallDarkness said:

better they should get the writers of the original playstation game to do the dialogue! :p 

I would say that is possibly blamed on translation / localization not necessarily the writing. Remember they changed a lot of that stuff in REmake. For instance, it's the inferior version because they got rid of "Itchy Tasty"

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Wesker’s Angels

I should point out that two of them are 16. I have no idea what story is being told here, but it must take place in a highschool, right? I'm assuming we've got either flashbacks or younger sisters, but the hair on Adeline Rudolph and Siena Agudong matches so well it screams flashbacks. I mean, this is Resident Evil, so we could also be looking at clones.

EDIT: Blah, I didn't realize there was already a synopsis for this series out. So it's a 16 year time jump with Wesker's family from before all hell broke loose to afterward. Yeah, I can get behind that.

• 10 months later...

Well, hopefully this is better than the recently released one-off movie, Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City. That was pretty bad. This looks nothing like an adaptation of the games either, given the time jump, etc. I don't get why it's hard to make an RE live action adaptation, this will be the third time lol. It looks good in general potentially but not a good RE adaptation, it feels like they mostly slapped on the RE label onto it.

I guess we have the four RE CG movies at least, those are fun and take place within the storyline of the games.

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, hopefully this is better than the recently released one-off movie, Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City. That was pretty bad. This looks nothing like an adaptation of the games either, given the time jump, etc. I don't get why it's hard to make an RE live action adaptation, this will be the third time lol. It looks good in general potentially but not a good RE adaptation, it feels like they mostly slapped on the RE label onto it.

I guess we have the four RE CG movies at least, those are fun and take place within the storyline of the games.

I dunno, this looks better than any Resident Evil movie. I'll give it a shot  I don't think it really matters how close it follows RE at this point. RE is all over the place as it is. Also, with Lance Reddick you can't lose.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dunno, this looks better than any Resident Evil movie. I'll give it a shot  I don't think it really matters how close it follows RE at this point. RE is all over the place as it is.

It's about the characters and the ridiculous zombie journeys they go on throughout the game series. Leon, Claire, Chris, and the rest. To not even have them is lame. The original few games could be adapted quite well so long as they strike the right tone. This just looks like well made zombie teaser trailer, it doesn't look or feel like RE much except some hints of Umbrella Corp and corporate satire. 

@Greatoneshere

I find that in these types of adaptions, of things of established stories, I feel like I'm more forgiving when they put an original spin on it rather than going with something familiar. Generally when they're adapting something from an established story, like Cowboy Bebop (which I still haven't seen because I figured it would just frustrate me) or even something considered good like Battle Angel, I just find that the original material is good enough and any change they make or take with the original material is kind of frustrating. Something like Halo, that fans are going nuts over (in a bad way), I think is working out fine. They certainly could have done some something familiar but then you have to deal with, what if they fuck it up? So if it's already doing its' own thing you kind of just have to accept it for what it is and whatever it is they make can be bad or good, but it doesn't have the baggage of having to be "accurate" 

Think of the success of the Sonic movie, that has nothing in common with anything Sonic except the character, and people seem to love it. I thought it was dumb.

Sure this show could be about Chris and Jill and this and that but they have those CGI movies (which aren't good) if you want to see their tales. Like I mentioned the games are already kind of veering off course, with the exception of the end of Village, RE 7 and 8 are venturing into all new territory with all new villains and stuff like that. I mean this one appears to be in the UK which would fall in line with whatever was happening in Village (well sort of, but I mean if you really need to tie it down that's the  way you'd go). In any case this one looks to be good at least from the two trailers that were released and I think it has enough commonalities to be a Resident Evil thing.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Greatoneshere

I find that in these types of adaptions, of things of established stories, I feel like I'm more forgiving when they put an original spin on it rather than going with something familiar. Generally when they're adapting something from an established story, like Cowboy Bebop (which I still haven't seen because I figured it would just frustrate me) or even something considered good like Battle Angel, I just find that the original material is good enough and any change they make or take with the original material is kind of frustrating. Something like Halo, that fans are going nuts over (in a bad way), I think is working out fine. They certainly could have done some something familiar but then you have to deal with, what if they fuck it up? So if it's already doing its' own thing you kind of just have to accept it for what it is and whatever it is they make can be bad or good, but it doesn't have the baggage of having to be "accurate" 

Think of the success of the Sonic movie, that has nothing in common with anything Sonic except the character, and people seem to love it. I thought it was dumb.

Sure this show could be about Chris and Jill and this and that but they have those CGI movies (which aren't good) if you want to see their tales. Like I mentioned the games are already kind of veering off course, with the exception of the end of Village, RE 7 and 8 are venturing into all new territory with all new villains and stuff like that. I mean this one appears to be in the UK which would fall in line with whatever was happening in Village (well sort of, but I mean if you really need to tie it down that's the  way you'd go). In any case this one looks to be good at least from the two trailers that were released and I think it has enough commonalities to be a Resident Evil thing.

I'm not sure how it's any different than adapting anything else, from Dune to Lord of the Rings. If you were getting a LOTR adaptation of the books but instead of starring Frodo, Sam, and the Fellowship Sauron instead wins and there's a time jump in the future where random non-LOTR characters do stuff, audiences would be livid. I'm not forgiving of that at all. Why even bother calling it RE then? Halo failed for not being closer to the games. Most adaptations fail when they are either too slavish to the original work or deviate too much, neither of which I like, but I prefer slavishness to slapping the name on something completely different.

Name checking dogs, lickers, zombies doesn't make an RE adaptation a true RE adaptation. It's just another zombie show at that point. We'll see, the show could be good, but will it be a good RE adaptation? Cause that's what I'm here for, we're already flooded with generic zombie shit as is.

• True 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This is out today.

Time for me and @Greatoneshere to play Siskel and Ebert again. I'll be Siskel because he always had the correct opinions of course.

I doubt I'll be watching, most of the reviewers I trust really did not like this. I have noticed you're pretty super easy on most stuff too. :p 

ResidentEvil_Season01_081_R1.jpg
COLLIDER.COM

'Resident Evil' comes to Netflix on July 15.

b02b5b18d8cb014b60053089eba1d987.jpg
WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Netflix's small-screen adaptation of the iconic survival horror games lacks, well, horror