A Live Action Resident Evil TV Show adaption announced by Netflix

Brian

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Probably because it says its Resident Evil when it's not actually adapting Resident Evil. Either way, you might get a second season, but this thing is getting absolutely blasted online. 3.6/10 after 14,000 votes on IMDb; 50% critics score, 26% audience score on RottenTomatoes and an abysmal 1.6/10 after 103 audience votes on Metacritic.

I knew that it was receiving a lot of hate, but I didn’t realize it was that much. It seems like the majority of hate is coming from Resident Evil fans who only watched the first episode, and then decided to completely shit on the show. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but giving the show a 1 out of 10 based on the first episode seems a little unfair to me.

I’m a big Resident Evil fan, and while the show admittedly doesn’t closely resemble the games it’s still a pretty good show on its own IMO. While I can understand some people being disappointed because it’s not what they wanted, I still think that they’re being a little harder on it than it deserves.

Yeah the hate is real. I feel like they're saying anything to bring it down.

It's one thing to say, "I'm not a fan of the story" it's another to say EVERYTHING is bad about the show. It's not.

A bunch of those imdb reviews saying bad acting, but the acting isn't bad. In fact I'd say it's very good. Lance Reddick is bringing his A game here and I think it's certainly elevating the rest of the cast. I don't think the writing is terrible and I actually like a bunch of the subtle jokes they keep infusing into the script when you least expect it.

It's like I said ignore the "true fans / gamers" opinions on this one because they were never going to be satisfied.

An excerpt of one of those amazing opinions and it's about what I expected when I posted earlier

People are sick of this WOKE b.s. And it ruins the entertainment. We want stuff that looks real even if it's imaginary or fantasy. It doesn't mean that minorities can't have lead roles. It just means stop trying to FORCE it. The parts should go to the best actors and actresses. This show the and the people in it seem so forced which is why there is so much cringe going on. It's just obvious to anyone who wants to be real that the W O K E approach isn't what anyone wants except a few people who don't represent the majority.

Personally I like the diverse cast. I'm never going to get upset by a minority led show. Get fucked trolls.

Look at the 10/10 reviews, they know what they're talking about

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

A bunch of those imdb reviews saying bad acting, but the acting isn't bad. In fact I'd say it's very good. Lance Reddick is bringing his A game here and I think it's certainly elevating the rest of the cast. I don't think the writing is terrible and I actually like a bunch of the subtle jokes they keep infusing into the script when you least expect it.

Yeah, I agree. I don’t get the complaints about the acting, either. Like you said, the acting is good. Lance Reddick especially stands out, but almost all of the actors deliver good performances IMO. The writing is fairly solid, too. It’s a serious show most of the time, but it has some genuinely funny humor in it at times as well. And it’s a varied show which people calling it a teen drama would realize if they watched more than just the first episode.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

An excerpt of one of those amazing opinions and it's about what I expected when I posted earlier

Personally I like the diverse cast. I'm never going to get upset by a minority led show. Get fucked trolls.

Yeah, I’ve seen people complaining about Wesker being black and his daughters being black and Asian. Seriously, WTF? The show is really well casted IMO, I couldn’t imagine anyone other than Lance Reddick playing Wesker in this, he owns the role which people complaining about his character being a one-note mild-mannered father would realize if they watched more than just the first episode. The lead characters being non-white doesn’t come across like forced racial diversity to me like some people have been claiming, I never once thought that. People can dislike the show for not being enough like the Resident Evil games all that they want, but hating on it for reasons other than that seems a little disingenuous to me.

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, I’ve seen people complaining about Wesker being black and his daughters being black and Asian. Seriously, WTF? The show is really well casted IMO, I couldn’t imagine anyone other than Lance Reddick playing Wesker in this, he owns the role which people complaining about his character being a one-note mild-mannered father would realize if they watched more than just the first episode. The lead characters being non-white doesn’t come across like forced race diversity to me like some people have been claiming, I never once thought that. People can dislike the show for not being enough like the Resident Evil games all that they want, but hating on it for reasons other than that seems a little disingenuous to me.

These are likely the same people who cried about the Halo show. Gripes being "woke" because there were two black Spartans and then others getting mad because "Cortana was more powerful than master chief" or some nonsense.

Have you seen it Phase? I think you'd like it because as I said in the Halo thread the show's most interesting character (or characters) is the female spartan Kai and also I thought Makee was interesting.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

These are likely the same people who cried about the Halo show. Gripes being "woke" because there were two black Spartans and then others getting mad because "Cortana was more powerful than master chief" or some nonsense.

Have you seen it Phase? I think you'd like it because as I said in the Halo thread the show's most interesting character (or characters) is the female spartan Kai and also I thought Makee was interesting.

No, I haven’t seen it because I don’t have Paramount+. There’s too many different streaming services, I can’t keep up with them all. :p

11 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

No, I haven’t seen it because I don’t have Paramount+. There’s too many different streaming services, I can’t keep up with them all. :p

Try using one of these codes, you can get a month for free which is probably more than enough time to get through the show.

paramount-plus.png
WWW.DOCTOROFCREDIT.COM

Paramount+ frequently offers free months when you use a promo code. New codes are added frequently.

• Thanks 1

So a couple of things I'll probably looking forward to next season (Spoilers if you didn't finish the show yet)

Spoiler
  1.  Ada Wong of course - She'll be 48 though. Hope she's still got it. :p
  2. That certainly looks like a Tyrant at the end - Though if the girls are leaving the country how much of it will we actually see?
  3. More future Billie - Although she's a villain the show did a strange thing. Teen Jade was more likable than teen Billie but adult Billie turned out to be more likable than adult Jade, well IMO of course. But also the other villains are likable in a way too (Evelyn and Baxter)

Things I'm not so sure of

Spoiler

Bert from this point forward. I think it was fun seeing all the different Weskers but Al was clearly the best one. Bert was fun but I'm not sure how much he could carry on. That being said, it will still be interesting to see from a performance standpoint.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, I might think of something else later.

On 7/17/2022 at 4:40 PM, Phaseknox said:

The one problem that I have...

Spoiler

On 7/17/2022 at 4:40 PM, Phaseknox said:

The one problem that I have is that adult Billie doesn’t really look or act like teen Billie, they didn’t match the two actresses for them as well as they did for the two that play Jade.

The thing that stood out to me was that the young one is clearly Filipino, the adult not so much but it didn't really bother me. As for not acting the same obviously something went down in the time we didn't see, I think that Billie's attitude did change after she found out what was going on with her dad, so I take that as the branching off point for what happens in the future.  But I do think both actresses turned in good performances.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 8:18 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

That's the difference between this and Cowboy Bebop. That was dunked on but did anyone watch it? I know I didn't. :p

I didn’t, either.

BTW, despite liking the show I still found some of the stuff in this video kind of funny:

• 2 weeks later...

It’s official:

Resident-Evil.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Netflix has opted not to order a second season of Resident Evil, its action horror series loosely based on the popular video game franchise.

The haters killed it, and they’re doing the same with the new Saints Row game right now as well so it’s probably the end of that series too. :|

@Keyser_Soze

• Sad 1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:18 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Like even if I look now it says its #8 in the top ten. Which I think is good considering how much time has passed.

That's the difference between this and Cowboy Bebop. That was dunked on but did anyone watch it? I know I didn't. :p

I did. It was in the top 10 for a couple of weeks.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:24 PM, Phaseknox said:

It’s official:

Resident-Evil.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Netflix has opted not to order a second season of Resident Evil, its action horror series loosely based on the popular video game franchise.

The haters killed it, and they’re doing the same with the new Saints Row game right now as well so it’s probably the end of that series too. :|

@Keyser_Soze

Probably. I do think people who are playing Saints Row are enjoying it more than the reviewers though.  I haven't met anyone who's played it who doesn't like it. The problem is unlike us, too many casuals go by what reviewers say.

• True 1

@TwinIon touched on this in another thread but I think it applies here. I think there are certainly bot campaigns that target specific things. They reuse phrases that get embedded into people minds that are otherwise meaningless criticisms.

Take Arcane for instance. This show is totally alright. It's beautiful to look at but otherwise nothing too spectacular. Certainly not deserving of "top ten shows of all time" status. You'll check out the IMDB user reviews and accounts were made just for this one show and they all say the same thing, "You don't need to play the game to enjoy the show" - For me this is a meaningless statement. Any show that is worth it's salt does something called storytelling and character building. Most shows or movies do this and you do not need prior knowledge of what it is going in to enjoy it. Why was this show treated so differently then?

Go to Resident Evil you see a lot of the same phrases. "It should have been called something else" - Now if we take away the fact that it shared enough in common with the games to be named as such (at least in my opinion) does this mean those people would have enjoyed the show if it was called something else? I don't think so. If you actually watched it and did not enjoy it, then it doesn't matter what it was called. But where were the, "You don't have to play the game to enjoy it" crowd here? Another phrase "I couldn't get past the first episode" I don't really know what to say here, but it seems abnormal.

I think the downfall came to a combination of bots, some low critic reviews (though there were some positive ones) and some purist RE fans hating on it. I feel like Lance Reddick said it well enough above, If you understood what they were doing you would enjoy it. As a small aside of "normalish" people II was interested to see what YVG had to say about it but was kind of disappointed with what the crew had to say. Max had no interest in watching it (probably the person with the biggest influence) and then Kenny who actually got somewhat far felt lukewarm about it and Steve downright hated it but was echoing what the bots were saying, "It should have been called something else" - I just feel like the whole idea of the show  went over everyone's heads and even if you didn't like the show there is no way this thing rates worse than a 5 or 6. Certainly not deserving of the lowest scores you could ever think of.

Somethings that would never happen is

1. I would hope that people come back to it later and appreciate it. Netflix probably would not renew it even if it got a resurgence of viewers, however.

2. Another service picks the show (like amazon) and the show thrives in it's second season making Netflix realize their mistake. But also, not likely to happen if the haters come back.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. A pretty big bummer IMO but In the end I'm not surprised at the result.

• Halal 1

I'm also bummed out that it's not renewed. I didn't think it was the best show ever, but I was down for a season 2.

Anecdotally, I've never played League of Legends and I fucking loved Arcane. I've also never played a RE game other than RE4, and I liked the show.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Take Arcane for instance. This show is totally alright. It's beautiful to look at but otherwise nothing too spectacular. Certainly not deserving of "top ten shows of all time" status.

I kind of have to disagree with you on this, because I think that Arcane as a whole is pretty awesome. It’s definitely better than just alright IMO. In fact, it’s probably my favorite animated show ever. Everything about it is quality, and I think that it does deserve its top ten status. As you know I’m often an outlier when it comes to things, so it does surprise me that something that I personally really like is also really liked by others as well because that’s rare.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

1. I would hope that people come back to it later and appreciate it. Netflix probably would not renew it even if it got a resurgence of viewers, however.

2. Another service picks the show (like amazon) and the show thrives in it's second season making Netflix realize their mistake. But also, not likely to happen if the haters come back.

I don’t expect Netflix to ever change their mind on it, but it would be nice if another service decided to pick it up but that probably won’t happen.

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've never played League of Legends and I fucking loved Arcane.

I barely even know what League of Legends is, but Arcane is one of my favorite shows ever. And I think that’s part of the difference between it and Resident Evil. Resident Evil is hugely popular with a rabid fanbase, while League of Legends is only really popular amongst select PC MMO gamers. So the Arcane show is kind of looked at as its own thing separate from the game, while the Resident Evil show isn’t. And that’s a shame IMO, because the Resident Evil show is good and should only be judged for what it is instead of being hated on for what it isn’t.

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've also never played a RE game other than RE4, and I liked the show.

Is there any particular reason why you haven’t played more games in the series? Are survival horror games not really your thing? That’s fine if they’re not, but the Resident Evil games are some of the best out there IMO.

19 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I barely even know what League of Legends is, but Arcane is one of my favorite shows ever. And I think that’s part of the difference between it and Resident Evil. Resident Evil is hugely popular with a rabid fan base, while League of Legends is only really popular amongst select PC MMO gamers. So the Arcane show is kind of looked at as its own thing separate from the game, while the Resident Evil show isn’t. And that’s a shame IMO, because the Resident Evil show is good and should only be judged for what it is instead of being hated on for what it isn’t.

League is one of the most popular games on the planet, I think you're kind of underselling it here.

14 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

League is one of the most popular games on the planet, I think you're kind of underselling it here.

I know that it was pretty popular back in the day, is it still now? I don’t follow PC online gaming trends, so I don’t really know what’s big or not when it comes to them. :shrug:

4 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I know that it was pretty popular back in the day, is it still now?

According to this site roughly 125 million a month and 1 million players a day, I'm not even sure that counts mobile. League is one of the biggest if not  the biggest out there. And the fanbase will go to bat for it no matter what, which is why the show was so popular.

League-of-Legends-live-player-count.jpg
ACTIVEPLAYER.IO

On this page, you will see League of Legends Live Player Count  or the players currently playing the game. How many players playing it on a monthly average playing League of Legends each and every month. Together with the number of maximum players or peak players every month. Total League of Legends estimated concurrent players across […]

To put that in perspective their rival DOTA 2 is the 2nd most popular game on steam and only gets around 600k a day (at least as of right now)

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

According to this site roughly 125 million a month and 1 million players a day, I'm not even sure that counts mobile. League is one of the biggest if not  the biggest out there. And the fanbase will go to bat for it no matter what, which is why the show was so popular.

League-of-Legends-live-player-count.jpg
ACTIVEPLAYER.IO

On this page, you will see League of Legends Live Player Count  or the players currently playing the game. How many players playing it on a monthly average playing League of Legends each and every month. Together with the number of maximum players or...

To put that in perspective their rival DOTA 2 is the 2nd most popular game on steam and only gets around 600k a day (at least as of right now)

Yeah, I guess that I did kind of undersell it just a little. :lol:

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Is there any particular reason why you haven’t played more games in the series? Are survival horror games not really your thing? That’s fine if they’re not, but the Resident Evil games are some of the best out there IMO.

I'm a giant pussy when it comes to scary games. BioShock was too scary for me.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@TwinIon touched on this in another thread but I think it applies here. I think there are certainly bot campaigns that target specific things. They reuse phrases that get embedded into people minds that are otherwise meaningless criticisms.

Take Arcane for instance. This show is totally alright. It's beautiful to look at but otherwise nothing too spectacular. Certainly not deserving of "top ten shows of all time" status. You'll check out the IMDB user reviews and accounts were made just for this one show and they all say the same thing, "You don't need to play the game to enjoy the show" - For me this is a meaningless statement. Any show that is worth it's salt does something called storytelling and character building. Most shows or movies do this and you do not need prior knowledge of what it is going in to enjoy it. Why was this show treated so differently then?

Go to Resident Evil you see a lot of the same phrases. "It should have been called something else" - Now if we take away the fact that it shared enough in common with the games to be named as such (at least in my opinion) does this mean those people would have enjoyed the show if it was called something else? I don't think so. If you actually watched it and did not enjoy it, then it doesn't matter what it was called. But where were the, "You don't have to play the game to enjoy it" crowd here? Another phrase "I couldn't get past the first episode" I don't really know what to say here, but it seems abnormal.

I think the downfall came to a combination of bots, some low critic reviews (though there were some positive ones) and some purist RE fans hating on it. I feel like Lance Reddick said it well enough above, If you understood what they were doing you would enjoy it. As a small aside of "normalish" people II was interested to see what YVG had to say about it but was kind of disappointed with what the crew had to say. Max had no interest in watching it (probably the person with the biggest influence) and then Kenny who actually got somewhat far felt lukewarm about it and Steve downright hated it but was echoing what the bots were saying, "It should have been called something else" - I just feel like the whole idea of the show  went over everyone's heads and even if you didn't like the show there is no way this thing rates worse than a 5 or 6. Certainly not deserving of the lowest scores you could ever think of.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. A pretty big bummer IMO but In the end I'm not surprised at the result.

Some shows try something and just need more than a single season to find its rhythm. It's why I have such an issue with Netflix being overly aggressive on cancelling series. If you have what could be an interesting idea, you might not knock it out of the park right away. If Netflix does this to save money, they need to maybe just not be spread so thin. They produce so much content is mine boggling.