Should I play Greedfall or Persona 5 next?

best3444

I'm closing in to the end of Death Stranding and trying to eye up my next gaming adventure.

I know Greedfall and Persona 5 are two different types of games but they are on my radar.

Any of guys play Greedfall and also, how is Persona 5? Which should I play next?

All I can add is that While Greedfall was decent, it eventually bored me in its second half, to the point that I did not complete it. For reference, I have played and beat all previous Spiders games. As for Persona 5, people rave about it, but I just can't get into the style of narrative or aesthetic that it offers up.     /Debbie Downer report  :sun:

I just finished Greedfall. If you like games like Dragon Age with tons of conversation and tough choices with not great combat, then its worth a look.

It does drag on a bit long, especially when you're trying to do all the side quests and companion quests. Graphics and voice acting are pretty good, but the game is grim with literally no humor or levity to break it up, and most of the characters outside of your party are pretty awful human beings.

I recommend playing it when you're prepared to hate the human race.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Hmm. Looks like Greedfall might not be what I'm looking for which is disappointing. Persona 5 is very Japanese and has a very different art style and gameplay.

Wtf should I play guys? I want a meaty game that will last for a while.

There aren’t many meatier games than Persona 5 Royal. The main quest is around 80 hours, with a new game plus for maxing our social links and persona compendium.

• Thanks 1

Tough to compare really. It's a turn based game where you collect shadows (like pokemon) and can use them in battles. There's also social games stuff, making friends and doing missions with/for them in school, tests, dating, etc.

I loved 3 and 4, bought 5 but haven't started it. When I do, I know it's an easy 90hour plus fun ride

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Did you play it? What game is it comparable too?

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I did not but @legend @SaysWho? and @CastlevaniaNut18 did!

Yeah, Persona 5 (Royal) is, uh... long. Like 100+ hours long.

It's also excellent. It's not really like any other game, or at least not others that I have played. I suppose you could say it's like Persona 4, but that's not going to help you :p 

It is very anime, and if you're not into anime you may find yourself not enjoying it for bit. I went from not really enjoying it to it being one of my favorite RPGs, but it was a slow burn to get there. The game is so long that I came around to enjoying it for the vast majority of it, but it was probably like 10 hours before I was digging it and then it got better from there. Persona 5 was also the catalyst for me getting into anime itself.

Here are some interesting aspects to it. The game has an unusual schedule. You spent a lot of your time out in the city as a mostly regular guy and interacting with people you meet there. But You have to be really choosy about what you do, because the game advances on a calendar and doing one activity in one afternoon means you're not using that time to do other things in that slot. When you get to the end game, if you didn't use your time well, you *will* miss things and you can't just spend more time to make up for it. A lot of fans do new game+ so they can do everything, but if you're careful, you can do everything in one go.

Beyond that every day activities and socializing, you will infiltrate "palaces" and then you have somewhat more standard turn-based combat. The combat relies heavily on on finding and exploiting weaknesses of your enemies.

You can also go down a deep rabbit hole of making godly "Personas" by mix and matching them. Your Persona's basically define what abilities you can use in combat. You can avoid doing this and just kind of use what you get, but it is fun running around with OP personas if you invest the time into making them. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Here are some interesting aspects to it. The game has an unusual schedule. You spent a lot of your time out in the city as a mostly regular guy and interacting with people you meet there. But You have to be really choosy about what you do, because the game advances on a calendar and doing one activity in one afternoon means you're not using that time to do other things in that slot. When you get to the end game, if you didn't use your time well, you *will* miss things and you can't just spend more time to make up for it. A lot of fans do new game+ so they can do everything, but if you're careful, you can do everything in one go.

Beyond that every day activities and socializing, you will infiltrate "palaces" and then you have somewhat more standard turn-based combat. The combat relies heavily on on finding and exploiting weaknesses of your enemies.

You can also go down a deep rabbit hole of making godly "Personas" by mix and matching them. Your Persona's basically define what abilities you can use in combat. You can avoid doing this and just kind of use what you get, but it is fun running around with OP personas if you invest the time into making them. 

Sounds like Fire Emblem (well the newest one anyway).

Persona 5 is one of my all time favorites, but I really don't see it as a game someone like Best would enjoy.

Legend pretty well got it down, but I disagree with his bit about not using your time well and missing stuff. It's damn near impossible to do all the social stuff in one run. I think you technically can, but the game doesn't encourage you to. It's better to focus on the social stuff you're more interested in on the first playthrough. That's what NG+ is for. Don't make it a chore.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sounds like Fire Emblem (well the newest one anyway).

Fire Emblem definitely took some ideas from it. But they did a much worse job of those ideas (even though I did overall enjoy Fire Emblem) :p 

27 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Persona 5 is one of my all time favorites, but I really don't see it as a game someone like Best would enjoy.

Legend pretty well got it down, but I disagree with his bit about not using your time well and missing stuff. It's damn near impossible to do all the social stuff in one run. I think you technically can, but the game doesn't encourage you to. It's better to focus on the social stuff you're more interested in on the first playthrough. That's what NG+ is for. Don't make it a chore.

TBC, I don't think this a game flaw. On the contrary I think it makes the game more interesting that you have to think about what you're doing. I did, in fact, manage everything* though on my Royal playthrough. Made it intense because I wasn't sure I was going to make it. I literally got the last person maxed on the last possible fucking day (excluding the extra time in Royal, which if you want to do the bonus maxes you need that time for). It was quite the moment.

*Well, I guess I didn't get the best batting cage score or get the biggest fish and some other achievement stuff like that (as opposed to content). I had opportunities to get those that but I really didn't want to fish forever, so I didn't :p I think there are also some achievement things in Royal that you can *only* do in NG+ no matter how well you play or what you prioritize in the first run, and I didn't do those.

1 minute ago, legend said:

Fire Emblem definitely took some ideas from it. But they did a much worse job of those ideas (even though I did overall enjoy Fire Emblem) :p 

TBC, I don't think this a game flaw. On the contrary I think it makes the game more interesting that you have to think about what you're doing. I did, in fact, manage everything* though on my Royal playthrough. Made it intense because I wasn't sure I was going to make it. I literally got the last person maxed (excluding the extra time in Royal, which if you want to do the bonus maxes you need that time for) on the last possible fucking day. It was quite the moment.

*Well, I guess I didn't get the best batting cage score or get the biggest fish and some other achievement stuff like that (as opposed to content). I had opportunities to get those that but I really didn't want to fish forever, so I didn't :p I think there are also some achievement things in Royal that you can *only* do in NG+ no matter how well you play or what you prioritize in the first run, and I didn't do those.

I don’t think it’s a game flaw, either. It gives you choice on what you want to focus on. Very few people max out everything in one playthrough. 

I just disagree with the notion that you wasted time if you don’t max out everything in one go. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don’t think it’s a game flaw, either. It gives you choice on what you want to focus on. Very few people max out everything in one playthrough. 

I just disagree with the notion that you wasted time if you don’t max out everything in one go. 

I see. I probably worded that badly. I just meant you do have to think about what you're doing. As opposed to Elder Scrolls where you can just spend as much time doing one thing as you want while everything else waits. You've got a time budget and some paths will allow you to unlock more than others.

I think Persona 5 is the better game, but frankly I kind of bounced off of both of these after a while. Persona 5's characters I found dramatically less interesting than the previous titles, while the events themselves I didn't connect with at all. The whole concept of "phantom thieves" always comes across as some weird ass Japanese trope that I tend to find tedious, and "stealing peoples' hearts" is borderline word salad.

Combine that with the fact that I think they tried, like, a thousand times too hard to be stylish instead of coming off as effortlessly stylish like the previous games, and the whole thing just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Felt like a Hollywood adaptation of a Persona game, if that makes any sense. It's still a long, beefy game with tons to do, but based on the kind of games you tend to like, I'd frankly just recommend Divinity Original Sin 2 or maybe Remnant From the Ashes if you haven't played those yet.

Or if you wanna get REAL nasty, pick up Deadly Premonition 2.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I think Persona 5 is the better game, but frankly I kind of bounced off of both of these after a while. Persona 5's characters I found dramatically less interesting than the previous titles, while the events themselves I didn't connect with at all. The whole concept of "phantom thieves" always comes across as some weird ass Japanese trope that I tend to find tedious, and "stealing peoples' hearts" is borderline word salad.

Combine that with the fact that I think they tried, like, a thousand times too hard to be stylish instead of coming off as effortlessly stylish like the previous games, and the whole thing just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Felt like a Hollywood adaptation of a Persona game, if that makes any sense. It's still a long, beefy game with tons to do, but based on the kind of games you tend to like, I'd frankly just recommend Divinity Original Sin 2 or maybe Remnant From the Ashes if you haven't played those yet.

Or if you wanna get REAL nasty, pick up Deadly Premonition 2.

Deadly Premonition 2 is out. I looked it up, not interested. Divinity Original Sin 2 is a 5 year old game. How does it hold up visually and technically? I also wouldn't be interested in Remnant From the Ahes either. I appreciate the post.

6 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

If you are interested in that type of game, play Desperados III. 

Hmm. Looked it up. This may be a winner! Thank you.

Edit: Watched a vid. Not liking the over the top camera angle. It not for me.

I guess I'm fucked. Unless I play TLOU2  again.