How much vacation time do you get at work?

Nokra

Just started a new job (my first career job) and they're only giving us two weeks of vacation and a week of sick leave per year, which they don't pay out if you don't use it. Coming from Germany where six weeks is standard, even for an entry-level job, this is painful. :cry: 

How is it at your job? And how long have you been there? 

We start with 22 days most years with the option to buy 5 more. We got 23 this year because we didn't end up getting any day off for July 4th for it being on a Saturday. Or every now and then they make Black Friday a company holiday and take a day for that, but they rarely do that and Black Friday is usually a work day. 

I've been here 4 and a half years and I believe I get extra days after I get to 5 years, though they recently capped max PTO to 30 days. People who have been here 30+ years have like 40+ PTO days every year. 

15 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Two weeks is pretty standard for the most part, my last job we started with 1 week, after two years you get 2 weeks and after 5 years you get 3 weeks. Now I have none because I am unemployed lol.

actually now you have infinite

• Haha 1

Well, when I had work I don't know. They never explained it.

When I first got hired they didn't allow / discouraged vacation time as it was not "exceptional service." so instead you'd get some sort of bonus but I think you only saw the bonus after the 5th year.

But several years in I guess they decided to allow vacation time (probably supreme court meddling because they also said that we can have uninterrupted breaks!) but they never explained it beyond "by the way you have vacation time" or something.

2 weeks when I started but I am at 4 weeks  and you can carry 1 week over. I don’t use much of it. The last two years, I started to “take” vacation at the end of December which causes this hilarious panic email chain where I end up getting the company to agree to pay my unused vacation if I come to work instead. It ends of being a nice bonus. 

4 weeks, 8 office holidays, 10 days sick, some other PTO available too if you need them (e.g. jury duty).

Only real gripe is we get no holidays between New Year's Day and Memorial Day--instead of following the federal holiday calendar we get the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve (they'll flip it around to the 26th if the 25th is a Thursday). We get enough vacation days that I'd rather have a more consistent spread of long weekends throughout the year where everyone stops working (so the work isn't piling up while I'm away) and have to burn a couple of vacation days on stuff like day after Thanksgiving.

6% which is basically 3 weeks (started at 4%) but we also get the time between Christmas and New Year's (depending on what days of the week they fall on it could be the whole time or 2 long weekends). 6% of bonuses also goes to vacation and we carry it over from year to year so I've got around 9 weeks at the moment.

We get the US holidays (8 or 9) + the week between Christmas and New Years. New hires get 15 vacation days (you earn 1 more each year of service up to 22 total) and 12 sick days.

I'm sitting on 43 days of vacation and 73 sick days atm.