Update: Washington Professional Football Team announces "thorough review" of team name

FedEx Requests the Washington Professional Football Team to Change Its Name

FedEx announced on Wednesday that it had asked the NFL's Washington franchise to change its "Redskins" moniker. FedEx is one of the three massive sponsors and partners of the team that was challenged by investors and stockholders to pressure the team into changing its name. 

Nike Pulls All Merchandise for NFL’s Washington Football Team Off Its Website

Nike has pulled all of its merchandise for the NFL’s Washington football team from its website, as of Thursday afternoon.

The brand’s website shows no results for the team’s gear, and instead tries to re-direct users to other Washington D.C.-based teams like the NBA’s Washington Wizards and NHL’s Washington Capitals. A search of other NFL teams on the site shows their gear is still being sold on Nike.com.

These actions follow a letter sent by 87 investment firms and shareholders worth a collective $620 billion to Nike, FedEx, and Pepsico to cease their relationship with the team until the name is changed.

16 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Ah, so you're tying to joke around. Got ya.

“As an organization, part of our mission is to empower Indian people,” said Crouser, who is a member of the Standing Rock Sioux. “And things like the tomahawk chop don’t empower Indian people. It’s still very stereotypical and mocking of an entire race of people.”

A survey of Native Americans — conducted by researchers at the University of Michigan and the University of California, Berkeley, and set to publish next month — found that around half of respondents were bothered or offended when sports fans did the tomahawk chop or wore Indian headdresses. Opposition was even greater among those who frequently engaged in Native traditions, with 65 percent saying the chop bothered them, according to the report, which will appear in the academic journal “Social Psychological and Personality Science.”

Other research suggests that even when Natives see mascots or imagery as positive, they can still do psychological harm, damaging the self-esteem and ambitions of American Indian youth.

“There’s no way that the use of Natives as mascots is honoring,” said Stephanie Fryberg, a University of Michigan professor who is Tulalip and worked on the survey. “That’s an illusion.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/learning/is-it-offensive-for-sports-teams-and-their-fans-to-use-native-american-names-imagery-and-gestures.amp.html

Just because you don't find it offensive doesn't mean other people aren't offended.

7 hours ago, Slug said:

It's not racist, but if it changes it changes.  It's just a name.

Taking innate characteristics of a race of people and mascotisizing it is unquestionably racist. Get right on out.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Taking innate characteristics of a race of people and mascotisizing it is unquestionably racist. Get right on out.

OK.  :peace:  I know folks' sentiment on the issue.  My experience is different, so I disagree.  It's all good.  I know I'm in the minority on the issue on this one.  No worries. :) 

5 minutes ago, Slug said:

OK.  :peace:  I know folks' sentiment on the issue.  My experience is different, so I disagree.  It's all good.  I know I'm in the minority on the issue on this one.  No worries. :) 

Your position is wrongheaded and embarrassing particularly because it’s wrapped up in your love of a sports team. It’s not all good.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Your position is wrongheaded and embarrassing particularly because it’s wrapped up in your love of a sports team. It’s not all good.

One has nothing to do with the other, but I understand why'd you would assume that.  I recognize that my fandom for the team immediately suggests a bias on the name issue, and while I could assure you that isn't the case I know that nothing I could say would convince you.  So I'll just say I've had many conversations on the matter and that there are a great many people in the affected community that not only themselves support the name, but find the movement to have it changed itself racist even if it comes from a good place and leave it at that.

6 minutes ago, Slug said:

One has nothing to do with the other, but I understand why'd you would assume that.  I recognize that my fandom for the team immediately suggests a bias on the name issue, and while I could assure you that isn't the case I know that nothing I could say would convince you.  So I'll just say I've had many conversations on the matter and that there are a great many people in the affected community that not only themselves support the name, but find the movement to have it changed itself racist even if it comes from a good place and leave it at that.

My dad is black and has stupid opinions on issues of race too. Your race doesn’t protect from bad takes. 

I've been an Indians fan since I was young for silly reasons ( I'm not from Cleveland).

Chief Wahoo was supposed to be taken out as a mascot as part of the Cleveland ASG deal. But they used the Wahoo more than ever the year before because it was going to expire. It was actually pretty disgusting.

8 hours ago, Slug said:

Your experience is a bunch of bullshit. There are definitely worries because you think a racist name is okay. 

Report: Rivera, Snyder Working on Washington Name Change for More Than a Month (SI)

Washington head coach Ron Rivera and team owner Dan Snyder have been talking about a possible name change for more than a month, Rivera told the Washington Post's Les Carpenter. 

Rivera told the Post that he has been working with the owner to brainstorm possible new nicknames for the organization and that he is hopeful that a change could come prior to the beginning of the 2020 NFL season.

“If we get it done in time for the season, it would be awesome,” Rivera told the Post.

According to Rivera, there are two names in particular that he has brainstormed with Snyder that he is especially fond of. He declined to name the two options to the Post.