Update: Washington Professional Football Team announces "thorough review" of team name

23 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't see why they don't embrace the name change. It's an opportunity to make your fans buy all new merchandise.

Also existing fans will snap up as much Redskins gear as they can now to get it before it goes away.  Win-win for them.

A lot of NA's are bummed about the loss of the logo and the imagery. For them it was less about keeping the name (even though they wanted that too) and more about further erasing them from American culture. They were hoping that even if the name had to go a more "acceptable" but related name could've been chosen so that that NA imagery could have been kept.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

This trademark squatter guy is pretty funny. To try and make his claims survive court challenges, he's spent $20k on merch, hoping that one of them pays off big. That's a pretty wild swing.

Yeah, but if they hit on one that guy has he at least has a chance. He's been doing it for years and making and selling merch. Even though it's obvious he's speculating/squatting, at least he could argue he has standing. The Twitter realtor guy registered all those names last week. He might get something from the team as a courtesy but he's not looking at any potential big payday; he'd lose the trademark in court. Best he can hope for is a few bucks, maybe some season tickets, and some "lol look what I did bro" conversation at dinner. 

20 minutes ago, Slug said:

Yeah, but if they hit on one that guy has he at least has a chance. He's been doing it for years and making and selling merch. Even though it's obvious he's speculating/squatting, at least he could argue he has standing. The Twitter realtor guy registered all those names last week. He might get something from the team as a courtesy but he's not looking at any potential big payday; he'd lose the trademark in court. Best he can hope for is a few bucks, maybe some season tickets, and some "lol look what I did bro" conversation at dinner. 

I'd go through a lot of trouble to get season tickets. I mean not for this team but for a real team I would.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Are there actually people wanting other organizations such as the Atlanta Braves and Cleveland Indians to follow suit with a name change?   Or are news outlets being duped by fake outcries?

What?

1 hour ago, Jose said:

What?

Several local news stations are reporting the following:

https://www.wthitv.com/content/news/Indians-other-teams-pressured-after-Redskins-drop-nickname-571764221.html?fbclid=IwAR2rQo2-HGeJuD2rkkAbNn5RsaFxUW1kyJBoHj8GKn_rB-EVqJ4tAnskcLQ

CLEVELAND (AP) — The spotlight for change is shining on the Cleveland Indians.

Now that the NFL’s Washington Redskins have retired their contentious nickname and logo after decades of objection and amid a nationwide movement calling for racial justice, the Indians appear to be the next major sports franchise that might assume a new identity.

Along with the Indians, who recently announced they are in the early stages of evaluating a name change for the first time in 105 years, the Atlanta Braves, Chicago Blackhawks and Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs are among those facing backlash along with the potential of sponsors pulling their financial support.

For some, the time has come for widespread changes to sports nicknames, mascots and symbols as the country reckons with its legacy of racism.

“I understand people aren’t willing to change or so quickly, or they’re hoping this moment is going to pass. It’s not,” said activist Frances Danger, who is Muscogee (Creek) and Seminole from Oklahoma. ”And now that we’ve gotten what we needed on the Redskins side, we’re going to start working on the rest of them. We’re not going to let up.”

Seems like this activist is pushing the issue.

19 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

It's not just one activist. The Indians have been attacked for their name since I was a little kid. 

22 minutes ago, Jose said:

It's not just one activist. The Indians have been attacked for their name since I was a little kid. 

Good to know that I'm out of the loop.  Hard to find older stories when every outlet is sharing this same new story.   I don't particularly consider the term Indian derogatory, and I can't recall anyone ever using it as such.  It's definitely a misnomer, though, and I don't see an emotionally-attachable reason for a sports team of Cleveland's locale to be beholden to it.  It's just a name; change it.  But, holy shit, the anti-BLM people are getting really mad over it, and I wanted to make sure this story actually had weight behind it.

37 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Good to know that I'm out of the loop.  Hard to find older stories when every outlet is sharing this same new story.   I don't particularly consider the term Indian derogatory, and I can't recall anyone ever using it as such.  It's definitely a misnomer, though, and I don't see an emotionally-attachable reason for a sports team of Cleveland's locale to be beholden to it.  It's just a name; change it.  But, holy shit, the anti-BLM people are getting really mad over it, and I wanted to make sure this story actually had weight behind it.

I actually don't think it's a huge deal either, but it's ignorant and inextricably linked to the disgusting Wahoo logo.