Do You Think That Digital Copies of Games Should be Included With Physical Purchases?

I ask because I own GTA V physically but don't have my disc with me while I'm at my parent's place.  It got me to thinking... when I buy Bluray and now 4K blurays, I always make sure I get the version that includes the digital copy and I wonder if games could employ something similar. I would even pay a little extra for a disc copy if the game included the digital copy as well. Does this make any sense? Am i just bored and insane?

Yes.

Similar to how Amazon has autorip when you buy a physical CD they give you the digital version for free.

The only reason they haven't done this is because you can resell copies, and that was what stopped the Microsoft all digital future that ended up happening anyway. :p

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think there's ways to prevent that though. I don't think it would be too hard to figure out.

What was MS’s strategy? 24 hour check ins or was that for something different? 

There may be a way to prevent it but I don’t think they’ll ever do it. 

49 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You can already game share digital copies right now as long as you have your account on the Xbox. I don't think that's an issue.

Or like family sharing, isn't that a thing on Xbox?

Yes it is. I can share my entire digital library with everyone else on my Xbox as long as I make THAT my home Xbox. That's not my issue. My issue is there are games that I won on disc that I don't have access to because I don't have the physical disc WITH me. Son GTA V, Control and Jedi Fallen Order are a couple of games that I didn't bring with me when I left LA that I wouldn't mind playing right now.

Contrast that with my digital film collection of movies I bought that came with Digital copies that I have access to whether  have the actual disc with me or not. I feel like we could have something similar for games.

50 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes it is. I can share my entire digital library with everyone else on my Xbox as long as I make THAT my home Xbox. That's not my issue. My issue is there are games that I won on disc that I don't have access to because I don't have the physical disc WITH me. Son GTA V, Control and Jedi Fallen Order are a couple of games that I didn't bring with me when I left LA that I wouldn't mind playing right now.

Contrast that with my digital film collection of movies I bought that came with Digital copies that I have access to whether  have the actual disc with me or not. I feel like we could have something similar for games.

Well I know that. I was mainly referring to the thing @Paperclyp of giving away the code. I'm saying, it's not an issue because plenty of people have sharing anyway.

I already agreed with you and gave you an example. :p

Personally, for me I stopped using Discs late into the 360 lifecycle. I sold as many physical copies I could and bought the digital version (when they went on sale). I don't have any PS4, Switch, 3DS or Xbone games that are physical copies.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

In what way? Are people really buying games twice? Physical and Digital?

I've bought oodles of games twice. In the past it was typically console, then later down the road on PC. More recently though I buy Digital + Physical when I get a LE game that I don't want to open or keep for collecting purposes.

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

What was MS’s strategy? 24 hour check ins or was that for something different? 

There may be a way to prevent it but I don’t think they’ll ever do it. 

Yeah it would be very complicated. I don't know how you would even DRM a disc, but the community wouldn't be happy about that. It would also kill reselling if the disc could only be tied to one owner.

To answer the original question, yes I very much would like a physical and digital copy as I love any other form of media that offers both. However I don't see it happening.

The physical copy has a unique key in the code that ties it to your account. When you sell the physical and someone inserts the disc into their console, the code is registered to the new account and you lose access to the digital version. 

Issues: does this make it easier to pirate copies? Does this increase manufacturing costs?

Ya know that brings up an interesting question... 

Will my Xbox Series X be considered "another xbox" or will I be able to have both my Xbox One and my Series X labeled as my "home console?"

Right now I have my X1X in my computer room and my og XBO in the living room. I have the og XBO set as my home console so that my wife can play the occasional game and use stuff like Netflix without having to sign up my profile. I never play outside of my profile on the X1X so it's never a problem. But I do plan on getting a Series X so that's gonna leave my og Xbox completely useless.

I suppose I could just leave everything as it is and just sign in to the Series X the same way I do the X1X...

This is exactly what Microsoft wanted to do with the Xbone one from the start, right?

The only reason I buy physical games is becuase they're often available cheaper, either at physical stores or pre-order discounts. For movies, there is still a quality gap with physical media and streamed (though I often can't tell), but for games it's identical, so I'd always rather have the digital copy, but still end up saving a few bucks when I can.

2 hours ago, number305 said:

Wait what was the purpose of the physical copy again?  

Easiest and best solution is an all digital world.  

I try to buy physical for any Nintendo games because the resale value of them tend to be high.

All others digital unless I am getting a game on sale.

I have a friend that only buys physical cause he knows he is not going to revisit a game after he beats it, so he resells them on Ebay.  He has also bought used games on Ebay and resold them back at the same price he bought it for a month or so later.  It's honestly a smart way if you're gaming budget is limited.  I'm just too lazy to do any of the work to save a few bucks.

41 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

I try to buy physical for any Nintendo games because the resale value of them tend to be high.

All others digital unless I am getting a game on sale.

I have a friend that only buys physical cause he knows he is not going to revisit a game after he beats it, so he resells them on Ebay.  He has also bought used games on Ebay and resold them back at the same price he bought it for a month or so later.  It's honestly a smart way if you're gaming budget is limited.  I'm just too lazy to do any of the work to save a few bucks.

Gamepass is the smart way if you are on a gaming budget.  Plus it is all digital.  There is more there than you can play.  All first party games, tons of indies, and eventually a lot of other AAA games make their way there.  Look at the PC market - I think that is the future for consoles.  Especially Xbox. 

Nintendo is kinda their own thing and as long as they keep putting out solid gold games they can keep that up.

4 hours ago, number305 said:

Wait what was the purpose of the physical copy again?  

Easiest and best solution is an all digital world.  

You can often get physical copies cheaper  day one between Best Buy and Amazon maybe? Physical games go on sale quicker and more often than their digital counterparts. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a disc game on launch day. Oh and if you know a couple of mom and pop stores that are down to break street dates (like I do) you can get games up to a week earlier than everyone else... which I have done in the past. Plenty of reasons to get physical games over digital.

This works for movies only because movies already have a theatrical run to make money. and then later sell for $20 when it comes to home media. So them including a digital copy for the premium price makes sense. 

Honestly I could do without the discs. I'd rather get empty box with a scratch and sniff code underneath to get future games. I prefer not using discs at all but I miss getting games at cheap af prices. Do i want call of duty for $10 disc or do i want to pay for digital copy thats now at the low low price of $30 digitally. Lets not forget all of those buy 2 get 1 free deals. you'll never see that on any digital store. 

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You can often get physical copies cheaper  day one between Best Buy and Amazon maybe? Physical games go on sale quicker and more often than their digital counterparts. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a disc game on launch day. Oh and if you know a couple of mom and pop stores that are down to break street dates (like I do) you can get games up to a week earlier than everyone else... which I have done in the past. Plenty of reasons to get physical games over digital.

Unless you're a PC gamer when you can routinely get 10% - 15% off of a new game even before it's released.

I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a digital game on launch day!

I used to buy mainly physical copies for resale purposes, but honestly, unless it's a Nintendo game, the resale value drops so damn fast nowadays it's not even worth it. Besides, I buy most of my games digitally when they go on sale at sub-$20 prices.

One of the great things about having such a ridiculous backlog is that I have plenty of other things to play while I wait for price drops lol.

3 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

This works for movies only because movies already have a theatrical run to make money. and then later sell for $20 when it comes to home media. So them including a digital copy for the premium price makes sense. 

Honestly I could do without the discs. I'd rather get empty box with a scratch and sniff code underneath to get future games. I prefer not using discs at all but I miss getting games at cheap af prices. Do i want call of duty for $10 disc or do i want to pay for digital copy thats now at the low low price of $30 digitally. Lets not forget all of those buy 2 get 1 free deals. you'll never see that on any digital store. 

Yeah I forgot about the buy 2 get 1 free deals as well. I don't see those as often anymore though. Do they still do them?

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I forgot about the buy 2 get 1 free deals as well. I don't see those as often anymore though. Do they still do them?

Amazon has done it several times this year and Target did it a few months ago.

I feel bad for console gamers ( I am not being condescending ) because once the majority of players swap to digital PSN/XBL stores deals are gonna get worse. Console players should be pushing hard for 3rd party sites to sell Digital DL's.

17 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Amazon has done it several times this year and Target did it a few months ago.

I feel bad for console gamers ( I am not being condescending ) because once the majority of players swap to digital PSN/XBL stores deals are gonna get worse. Console players should be pushing hard for 3rd party sites to sell Digital DL's.:confused:

Best Buy, Amazon and even Gamestop sell digital downloads... it's just digital games don't go on sale as often as disc games. This has little to do with my original topic though... I would think that if Brick and Mortar stores want to continue to sell physical discs an incentive would be to include a digital copy like movies do. It's extra value for gamers and would prolong the life of physical media just a little longer.