Do You Think That Digital Copies of Games Should be Included With Physical Purchases?

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I would think that if Brick and Mortar stores want to continue to sell physical discs an incentive would be to include a digital copy like movies do. It's extra value for gamers and would prolong the life of physical media just a little longer.  

Except console makers dont care about the life of physical media or brick and mortar stores. Its a nice idea but its more of a pain in the ass for console makers and excluding goodwill it gains them nothing.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Best Buy, Amazon and even Gamestop sell digital downloads... it's just digital games don't go on sale as often as disc games. This has little to do with my original topic though... I would think that if Brick and Mortar stores want to continue to sell physical discs an incentive would be to include a digital copy like movies do. It's extra value for gamers and would prolong the life of physical media just a little longer.  

Wouldn't it be up to the publisher to put in free digital copies?

The reason they haven’t is the used game industry. As long as GameStop can buy the disc and turn around and sell it w/o the publisher or developer seeing any money from that sale they’re not going to let you keep a version of the game while being able to sell another. 

they only way companies would do it is with data keys or drm.